EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Advice on electric usage  (Read 1324 times)

kellbell1069

Advice on electric usage
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:01:19 AM »
I am new to 50 amp trailers. I had a 30x8 Fema that was 30 amps. I now have a nicely sized sandpiper  with slides that is 50 amps. I have noticed I cannot plug in any more appliances in the new RV than I did in the old RV. Actually I cannot even plug in the same things. I have noticed the GFI breaker is only a 10 amp, when the other one was either 15 or 20. This is a problem because the furnace is shot, like in my old one, so I am using space heaters. I used 2 easily in the old trailer, with fans to help disburse the heat. I can barely use 2 in the current one. If I try to use anything over and above the heaters, the breaker trips.
Any suggestions?
I have tried to spread out use of plugs. And tried different combos of plugging them in too.

JackL

• ---
Re: Advice on electric usage
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:25:38 AM »
Your electric heaters need to be on separate circuits.

You need to identify which outlets are on which breaker. Then put each heater on a separate 15 Amp one
Also make sure your microwave is on it's own circuit.

You need someone that knows electrical wiring to trace everything out for you and then make a directory at the breaker panel

jack L

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:47:08 AM »
Just turn off one breaker at a time and then plug in a small electrical appliance. Mark each receptical that is dead as that breaker number. Do all small breakers that way then plug each of your heaters into a separate one. Microwave, if built in should be on its own breaker anyway.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »
I live in a house built in 1952. The previous owners had added circuits,  but did so with no rhyme or reason as to what was grouped together. I did something similar to what Wizard said, but I used small colored stick on dots.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »
This has nothing to do with 50A vs 30A. As others have already described, it is a matter of how many outlets are on each branch circuit. Space heaters are high power draw - typically 1500 watts (1875 is the max for a 15A branch circuit), so two cannot be on the same circuit.

Also, be aware that having a 50A trailer does nothing extra if the 50A power cord is plugged to a 30A shore power source. You still have only 30A to work with. You gain extra power only if plugged to a 50A outlet.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network