EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Replacing RV toilet with composting toilet?  (Read 4457 times)

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
Replacing RV toilet with composting toilet?
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:32 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering if anyone had ever replaced their standard RV toilet with a composting toilet? I did a topic search on the forum but not much info came up.

For those who don't know, this summer I will be refurbishing / repairing a 1964 Holiday Rambler that my aunt gave me as a college grad present. I then hope to travel around the country with a couple friends for maybe 6 months or a year full-time. My aunt said that the black tank has been damaged & needs replacing. I started looking into composting toilets because replacing the black tank, dealing with the "poop slinky", and issues that can arise in a black tank kind if gross me out. A lot of people seem to have had good experiences with Nature's head composting toilets. I will be looking at similar designs.

I am hoping to hear someone else's experience with this project (and any reviews of composting toilets you all may be using) before I dismantling things and spending the money on a new toilet.
Senior in college studying music (flute & harp).
Bitten by the wanderlust bug.
Trailer: 1964 Holiday Rambler 22TL (24')
TV: 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 (1/2 ton)
blog: http://smooretravels.wordpress.com

Zeph003

• ---
    • Purplecat Creatives
Re: Replacing RV toilet with composting toilet?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
From what I remember from college ag......Composting toilets require more than one holding tank, going off the principle that while you're using one, the other's contents are breaking down into usable compost.    Tank contents would be mostly solid.

From an rv perspective this would give me concerns about managing waste.   You'd be hauling around decomposing waste while it breaks down, or even if it were removed and replaced with an empty....how many pounds would that be for you to lift and move to where you're storing it?    Where would you store the decomposing receptacle in the meantime?   Keeping it attached to the rv brings up weight concerns.   

Plus...the tanks for a compost toilet in an rv would need to be not only sealed securely while moving and being jolted during driving...but still capable of being opened and emptied with a shovel.    Finding a receptacle that would work for those purposes would be difficult, and emptying compost from the underparts or side of an rv would be a lot more difficult than a simple sprayout flush of a blacktank.
Class C  1982 Chevy TravelCraft "The Pumpkin"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:52:46 PM »
To search the entire forum, be sure to use the Search button in the menu above, not the Search box in the top right of the page. "Composting toilet" (with quotes) brings up a number of prior discussions. Leave the option to "Search in topic subjects only" unchecked.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

azwinne

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »
Instead of composting toilets, check out the below link...

http://www.incinolet.com/aboutus_2.htm

Might change your mind.
Tom
2006 Winnebago 31C
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Retired industrial/commercial electrician
WN7E

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »
Thanks for your helpful responses. I appreciate the searching tips & will investigate the incinolet. :)

To Zeph003, the Nature's Head composting toilets I've been considering are small self-contained units. They do not connect to a larger tank. (Which is why they are appealing - I wouldn't need to replace my black tank.) A lot of reviewers say they hold about 60-80 "uses" for solids (2-4 weeks depending on how much time is spent in the camper) and roughly 4 days worth of liquid waste. Once full, the contents of the solids tank can be emptied into a biodegradable trash bag & thrown in the trash. Then you add more moss or coconut coir to the tank and start the process again. I wouldn't need to carry around batches of decomposing stuff. I think the toilet weighs 20lbs empty and the tank doesn't look huge. I can't guesstimate the weight it would hold, but I don't think it would end up being more than 30-40 pounds when full...? I guess I was hoping that someone here also had this kind of system and could talk about it. I feel like bloggers and reviews on YouTube may be over-hyped or gloss over the "real life" of using this kind of system.

But thank you for bringing up those important points and the issue of weight. I've seen some composting toilet systems that seem like more of a hassle than a regular toilet + black tank.

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:41 PM »
Instead of composting toilets, check out the below link...

http://www.incinolet.com/aboutus_2.htm

Might change your mind.

I installed one of those for the Corps of Engineers in a wetland environment on Cujo Key. It worked great but the only draw back was building engineers decision to exhaust the waste over the drive thru on the entry side just over the drivers side hood.....It was an unusual welcome....ashes and steam
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

With-a-k

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 11:11:12 PM »
I'm not sure if you have ever run across the blog by a couple of full timers titled "gone with the wynns" but they swear by composting toilets and explain them in great detail. You might check out their blog posts about them. Hope that helps. Not trying to steer you away from the forum, but I have read several posts on the subject on that blog.
Two teenage boys
'15 Jayco 23mb TT
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 5.8L
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1L
Clueless about this RV stuff

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 10:12:50 AM »
I suspect you are grossly over-estimating the problems with using a conventional black tank and under-estimating those of the composting toilet. Remember, you have to dispose of the liquids as well and "bagging" a box of raw feces is not an attractive thought to me, particularly if I then have to carry the bag around.

I'd also expect the composting unit would be more expensive than replacing a black tank.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:04 AM »
I'm not sure if you have ever run across the blog by a couple of full timers titled "gone with the wynns" but they swear by composting toilets and explain them in great detail.
I just stumbled on one of their videos on YouTube about cabinet organization. I will look up their blogs about this! I want to find as many personal anecdotes about this kind of waste management before I hop aboard myself. Thanks so much for the tip! :)

Zeph003

• ---
    • Purplecat Creatives
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 10:41:17 AM »
SOO much info on their site!   Thanks from me as well, I hadn't found them yet and there's a ton of cool info!
Class C  1982 Chevy TravelCraft "The Pumpkin"

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:51:52 PM »
There is still SOME maintenance required with composting toilets, and its not as if the solid waste just magically disappears.

Do you know the details on the black tank damage on the Holiday Rambler?  I'd look more into that repair/replacement to get an idea on cost.  Dealing with black tank contents isn't all that bad, most of the time none of the stuff gets anywhere near you.  ;)  It's part of RV'ing you'll eventually want to learn one way or the other, if you plan on traveling/fulltiming for the lengths that you mentioned.  After the first few visits to the dump station, it gets pretty routine and is really no big deal.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

john owens

• ---
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
If this style of waste management had any appeal to the rving industry I am sure all these huge RV builders would offer them as an option, Tried and true holding tanks is the way to go. I remember years ago my older brother had his VW van and was camping in Death Valley after he came back from Vietnam. I wish I could of seen the looks on the faces of his fellow campers as he was holding up the line emptying out his Porta Potty toilet at the dump station at Texas Springs CG......Yikes!!!
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

Mickey D

• ---
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 08:37:05 PM »
I would have to go with scottydl and john owens on this. While dumping the holding tanks is not the most enjoyable part of owning an rv, once you have done it a time or two it is really no big deal. I don't have much experience with composting toilets. In fact, I have only seen a few, and only in pop ups and conversion vans where there is little room for holding tanks. I would look into the extent of damage to your holding tank. Replacing it may be a challenge, but sometimes they can be patched or repaired with a plastic welder fairly easily and effectively.
Mike
RV Technician
Currently in Jackson, Michigan

mikef

• ---
  • Winnebago Posse
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
I'm not sure if you have ever run across the blog by a couple of full timers titled "gone with the wynns" but they swear by composting toilets and explain them in great detail. You might check out their blog posts about them. Hope that helps. Not trying to steer you away from the forum, but I have read several posts on the subject on that blog.

Absolutely check them out. I met Jason and Nicki when I was hosting a campground in Wisconsin in 2014. I bumped into them again, when they were having their rig serviced in Coburg Oregon. Two 30 something kids, with much knowledge and experience of fulltiming. They love their system and highly recommend it. They are on Facebook and have a great blog and E-mail mailing, that goes into further detail of all kinds of components, including their solar setup. 
1992 Winnebago Chieftain 32'
460 Ford chassis, New long block

mikef

• ---
  • Winnebago Posse
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »
http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/rvin

You'll see there is a section on compost toilets
1992 Winnebago Chieftain 32'
460 Ford chassis, New long block

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 11:49:54 PM »
Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of these resources. I learning more about what makes composting toilets function in general. I also loved the videos the Wynns did on their solar setup - I never knew before that there are portable solar panels that you can set up on the grass! Since my camper is vintage, I am a bit squeamish about drilling or permanently glueing panels on the roof! So funny (and expensive haha) how you can start investigating one remodel for your RV and find tons more ideas that you want to implement...

I am actually 800 miles away from the camper right now, finishing my last semester at school. So I can't answer a lot of questions about its condition and the level of repairs needed. I am just going off what my aunt (who owned it before & is giving it to me) has told me, and some quick pictures I tried to take in the dark when I was able to check it out for 15 minutes.

I am preparing myself and my wallet for having to give it considerable TLC. I am looking for ways to make it more efficient for lots of boondocking and travelling very cheaply, while I am going to the trouble of taking things apart to clean & make repairs. :) So maybe fixing the black tank will be best, or maybe some other option. I'm just trying to find out about all the options right now - I've got the itch to work on it & fix it, but physically can't right now because it's far away. :( Research and asking questions is the next best thing!

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »
One piece of advice I would offer that is unrelated to toilets:  As you plan and budget for your refurbishment, make your first priority your running gear (tires, wheel bearings, axles).  If this trailer is old and hasn't been used much, it's a guarantee the tires need replacing.  The wheel bearings should be inspected and repacked or possibly be replaced.  The trailer lights (turn signals, brake lights) need to be functioning.  Once this is all good, you are able to get down the road and at least use the trailer, even if it is just as a glorified tent.

If that's priority 1, then priority 1a is making sure the trailer is weathertight.  (Actually maybe I would put that ahead of running gear)  Ensure that any joints that are caulked are in good condition.  If not, remove the old caulk and re-caulk.

Next on my list would probably be interior electrical.  Then plumbing.  Then the "niceties" like interior redecorating, etc.  The reason I put plumbing a ways down on the list is that if you plan to stay in campgrounds, they will always have at least some sort of toilet facilities, even if it is just pit toilets.  Of course if you are planning a cross country trip, you would want all these things working.

BTW, my daughter is a sophomore music ed major.  I wish you the best in your endeavors.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »
Thank you jagnweiner! I am writing up lists of what I know needs to be fixed because my aunt told me it's broken or simply because of age for peace of mind. I'm trying to prioritise based on what absolutely must be done in order to drive down the road and stay dry. So far most of those are not very expensive as long as I get the parts and do all the work myself with my dad. Thanks so much for pointing some things to look out for. I hadn't thought of wheel bearings and axles on my own. I know it's going to take a lot of elbow grease to get it in great shape again, but I am lucky because my dad is a great handyman. :)

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
Don't forget the brakes while you're attending to the tires and wheel bearings!  Sometimes it's easier and cheaper just to get a new backing plate with all of the brake components already installed instead of trying to rebuild what you have.

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
Good point, Lou.  As a non-trailer owner, I didn't even think about the brakes.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 12:08:14 PM »
Good luck to your daughter's music studies. It's a lot of work but very rewarding. :)

I know for sure I need to replace the brakes completely. My aunt used to bring this camper on family camping trips & the last little while that they used it, they had to rely entirely on the truck's brakes. But my uncle was a great driver so if worked out alright I guess... I'm still not very practiced with large trucks yet so I need all the braking power I can get. Haha!

I'm going to put a link to my travel blog into my signature. I detail the repairs I need to make & improvements I'd like to make when I can afford them. :)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 12:21:25 PM »
But my uncle was a great driver so if worked out alright I guess...

Your Uncle was a very lucky driver, that's all... the need for trailer brakes has little to do with the skill of the driver.  They are to keep the trailer from jackknifing or otherwise losing control in a panic stop or evasive maneuver situation.  That likelihood has more to do with the OTHER drivers on the road, than it does you.

So yeah, replace the trailer brakes.  ;)  Your truck will need an electronic brake controller installed, if it doesn't already have one.  That is the device that detects when the truck is braking, and applies the trailer brakes accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:23:09 PM by scottydl »

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
I looked at your blog and looks like you'd already thought of most of the things I suggested.  Good work. 

I read your comments about an awning.  Sounds like you already understand the pros/cons of awnings.  When we bought our RV four years ago, shortly after we bought it and before we ever used the awning, it caught the wind while going down the highway and ripped off the side of the coach.  This was before we had ever even used it.  There are devices you can install and things to do to prevent that from happening, but we didn't know it at the time.  I have looked into replacing the awning and it's going to be about $1000-1400, depending on whether I do the work myself.  Bottom line, we've lived without an awning so far, as other items/repairs have been a higher priority.  It would be nice to have an awning, particularly because it shades the windows on that side of the coach, but we have made do for outdoor shade purposes with a 12x12 "EZ-Up" type portable shelter that we carry in one of the hatches underneath.  Might be something to consider.

-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
we have made do for outdoor shade purposes with a 12x12 "EZ-Up" type portable shelter that we carry in one of the hatches underneath.
What a great idea! It would be nice to have a little something to keep the rain off when coming & going from the RV and those types of tents are usually not expensive. I'll add it to my "wants" list!

Thanks for checking out my blog. :) I don't have many readers right now.  And everyone is welcome to keep suggestions coming. I'm sure I will over look some details as I start the repairs. I just love how people here are so helpful & encouraging! :)

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 08:53:01 PM »
You really sound to be fired up about fixing up this  trailer.  My advice would be to carefully estimate your expenses to do that before you even start.  What I am really saying is that there are a lot of much newer used trailers on the market that may be in much better condition for the same money you are about to sink into one that is 52 years old.  Construction techniques and materials have improved immensely over the years.  Tires, brakes, holding tanks, roof sealing and possible repair of leak damage, frame condition are all areas that could really bite you big financially.  No insult to your aunt but just be sure you are not sinking good money into a bad project.  Good luck in whatever you do.  Oh and as for the type of toilet, I think you could master the stinky hose type (which is not really stinky after you flush it out well with clean water) really fast, have a larger holding capacity and not have to be dumping out bags of composted poopy willy nilly. LOL
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:56:34 PM by Bill N »
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 11:32:45 PM »
be sure you are not sinking good money into a bad project.
Very good advice for all areas of life! :) I'll know more once I am back home and start taking a good hard look at the trailer. If it turns out to be a money dump, I'll definitely get something newer and put the Rambler on the back burner as a "someday" restoration project just for fun.

I am really just excited about the possibility of travelling the country on an extended trip, which used to seem impossible at my age (no retirement fund yet haha). If this is the trailer the makes my dream possible, great. If not, I will find something more suitable! :) anyways, thank you all so much for the tips and encouragement. RVers really are an awesome bunch!

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 07:29:22 AM »
I am really just excited about the possibility of travelling the country on an extended trip, which used to seem impossible at my age (no retirement fund yet haha).

It's really the perfect time (other than retirement) to get out there and explore, before you are locked into a certain locale by a job, spouse's job, kids' activities, etc.

A couple key factors will be obtaining the RV + vehicle at a reasonable price (which is what we have been discussing) and also generating a source of income while you are traveling.  That could be discussed in another thread I suppose, if we have moved on from composting toilets.  ;)

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:26 AM »
Haha yes we can move on from composting toilets. That situation really depends on how difficult/expensive it would be to replace the black tank, which I won't know until I can look inside & take measurements...

I would love to hear any suggestions about making money on the go. I currently have a job as a website sales representative, which I can do where ever I can have WiFi or chat with people over a cup of coffee. Some parts of the country are more interested in web development than others. Haha. But I am a firm believer in having multiple sources of income! So I would love to hear how other people bring home the bacon! :)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
I would love to hear any suggestions about making money on the go. I currently have a job as a website sales representative, which I can do where ever I can have WiFi or chat with people over a cup of coffee. Some parts of the country are more interested in web development than others. Haha. But I am a firm believer in having multiple sources of income! So I would love to hear how other people bring home the bacon! :)

One area of the forum you might want to check out is Workamping, a term that refers to making money while camping or on the road.  Many folks do it by signing on as campground hosts, but there are many other options too.

harpgirl

• ---
  • The Auburn Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »
Thanks for the tip! :)

Hosted by Over The Network