WD hitch questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guguluff

We have the truck, we found a trailer but how to put those two together?
Should we buy the hitch kit from the RV dealer without shopping around or is it ok to buy from the internet and have the WD hitch installed at an auto shop in our town then go get the trailer? Could a not so handyman install a WD hitch kit?
Is this any good? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SB6S3Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004TR8F5C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XV2P8F1XZWXVCS4BG1Q
Or should we go with something more expensive, like this? http://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-90001000-Equalizer-Hitch/dp/B004TR8F5C
Our truck's TC is 7,350#, the trailer would be ~ 4,700# and the TW is 704#.
Is there anything else that we need in order to tow safely and easily the trailer?

I've had the same EZ lift hitch since 1974. I still used up until last year when I sold my race cars and trailer. Just keep the bars greased where they fit into the head. That EZ lift is all you should need. I prefer the round bar hitch over the square bar but that's just me.

If you buy from a dealer they should set your hitch up for you.

I have used the Eaz-lift Elite Weight Distributing Hitch for two years and have had no problems.

If the truck already has a hitch receiver, there is nothing to installing a WD hitch that a novice cannot do, if he can read directions. If it doesn't have the receiver, maybe best to have a pro install if you aren't really handy. The main concern is getting the WD tuned to balance out the rig properly, and many RV shops do a poor job of that anyway. Besides, it has to be re-done after you get your gear loaded up.

RV stores tend to recommend what they have, which may not be one of the better brands.

The trailer braking system may take a bit more skill, though many trucks now come equipped with one, or at least pre-wired for it.

The only other obstacle is needing a hefty torque wrench capable of 250/300lbft. If you get it set where you want it and have it pretty tight,  take it to a nearby shop and have them torque it correctly.

Eaz-lift Elite hitch it is then! It's great that it does the job done for less. Some dealers told us that they have 2 kits one for $600 and another for $900. I guess that the more expensive one was the same as the Eaz-lift one.
We have the hitch receiver and the braking system on the truck so it should be doable.
Maybe we can ask the dealer to include the installation in the price; if not, we can go to a repair shop for the final touch.
Thanks y'all!

Follow the directions that come with the hitch. When you get the trailer loaded like you will be using it, the hitch head will need adjusted again more than likely. If the dealer is any count they will set it up for you the first time, then it depends on how you load the trailer how much adjustment is necessary to get the rig level or close to it. 

I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago.
I decided I needed the WD hitch after my first trip with the new to me trailer.
I chose the Equalizer and was able to install it myself using the supplied instructions and a bit of encouragement from the guys on this board.
I got the local Les Schwab tire store to torque the ball and a couple bolts, but they did it for free.

We end up w/ the Equalizer because the seller sold it w/ the hitch kit. He even trowed in an anti-theft system for the trailer. Something like this: http://tinyhousetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/trimax-umax100-universal-coupler-lock-for-trailer-hitches-01.jpg
So we're sending back the Eaz-Lift kit.
We are getting used to attach the sway bars and hook and unhook the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom