residential refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWSWine

I'm looking at 5er that has a residential refrigerator with two 12V batteries and 1000 watt inverter.  I have a couple questions that were answered by the dealer but now I looking for closer to real world experience.

First he said the batteries would run the double door Samsung fridge for 24 hours - is that in the ball park?

He also said while traveling that TV would charge the battery but maybe not fully but enough to last 12 hour over night stop for several days.  True of False?  I have a 2015 F350 with single heavy duty alternator.

Thanks...

You plan on using those batteries for anything else ? Like lights, TV, computer, furnace ?

Our 2800 watt PSW inverter and our 22 CF 3 door Maytag residential fridge (combined) consume an average of about 180 amps in a 24 hour period. A 2 door residential fridge and a 1000 watt inverter won't consume that much, but I doubt that two 12 volt batteries will power them for 24 hours, unless they are high capacity batteries.

Kev

It depends on what size those 12 volt batteries are.. Thius is why I do not like the line "12 volt batteries" it is incomplete
Group 24, no waw
Size 4D, possibly

Check out the ratings on those two battery sizes and you will see why "12 volt batteries" is in complete

And I"ve seen some that make a 4D look like a Group 24

It also depends a lot on how often the fridge door is opened, temperature in the RV, use of the ice maker or not, etc. In light use, a modern residential fridge consumes around 1.2-1.4 kwh of power per 24 hour day, which translates to around 110-140 amp-hours from the batteries.  That's about all a pair of Group 27 12v deep cycles can produce and doesn't leave much for anything else. Group 24 batteries probably wouldn't make it the full 24 hours, but should do fine overnight.

The typical new trailer RV does not come with great batteries, but maybe yours will. Ask about that. Given that it is a  modest 1000W inverter, I'm guessing the battery bank is also modest.

Whether your truck charges much or not depends a lot on how the truck is set up, put it probably doesn't deliver more than 10-20 Amps/hour to the RV batteries. The wiring is not likely to be capable than any more than that. It should maintain them ok if they were fully charged when you start out, and will probably get them to 70-80% in 3-4 hours if they were not. That's shear guesswork, though.

Back
Top Bottom