Help a newbie out please! Should I pay a dealership $1400 to install a satellite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ISO_AAA

I'm moving onto my RV on the 22nd. I've left the TV/internet issue for last because other things were more important and I knew this was going to be the most annoying. I'm not a fan of satellites. I prefer to stream but high or unlimited data packages are way too expensive. I think the most cost effective option for me is a combination of satellite and Verizon's data only package. Having both will be beneficial for pesky times when one or the other does not work. My work hours can be nuts so I DVR shows I like and watch when I can. I'm not the type who can just sit at watch TV.

My RV is a new class A and already wired for satellite. The dealership quoted me $1400 for the satellite and installation. It's a Weinguard in motion satellite because that's all they have. I don't really need in motion. Is this pricing pretty standard for this? Anyway, I'm all for doing something myself if appropriate. I'm just looking for advice or suggestions.

The price the dealership quoted you is not out of the ballpark, and I would certainly recommend having it installed by someone familiar with Winneguard systems. That being said, if you don't need the "in motion" feature then you could probably save a few bucks by shopping around for a fixed position system. You could always ask the dealership you are working with if they are willing to order a cheaper model for you. Just because they only carry the one system doesn't mean they can't get the other.

I did ask but they were worried about the timing with ordering and waiting in it. They are delivering the RV to my property in another state a few hours away. Im trying to get as much done as possible before the delivery. My indoor kitty is moving onto the RV as well.

Are you going to use the satellite at a fixed location. (the property where they are delivering it)?

There are several different solutions at differing cost levels.

The IN-motion as you may know is the most expensive.

If you want easy but not necessarily in motion than there are roof mounted satellite that automatically tune in the signal.

There are even less expensive crank up ones that you have to aim with the aid of the receiver signal.

The least expensive solution is a dish mounted to a stand that is placed on the ground and connected with a cable to the input of your RV.

The last option would be very cost effective it you are at a fixed location and is possibly free with a subscription.

I have an automatic aiming dome on the roof for when traveling but for a location where I have to find a signal away from the RV, (such as under trees), I use a simple dish on a mount

Also be advised that the dealer is not your only option and it can be done anytime, maybe after you have seen other peoples choices.

We bought Dish pay as you go almost 2 years ago. It consists of a receiver and a dish on a tripod. Cost was about $200. Set it up, enter Zip code and set skew and elevation, for azimuth I use a cheap boy scout compass. Then use the aim function,which is a tone that can be loud enough to hear outside, and fine tune it. Takes 15 minutes or less most of the time. First couple times were more difficult, I'm much better at it now.

The receiver that comes with the $200 deal will support two TV's, but they have to watch same channel and have no record ability. Thinking about upgrading the receiver for this reason.

Bill

I think Hueypilot has the right approach. No need to buy an expensive in-motion satellite dome when all you need is a dish on a tripod (plus a receiver, but that comes with the satellite service subscription). Especially so if there are trees on the property that might impact reception on a rooftop dome.

However, $1400 installed is not unreasonable for an in-motion Winegard, installed and ready to go. MSRP on a Winegard Roadtrip (in-motion) is $1399, so basically they are throwing in the installation (which is not difficult if it is pre-wired).

Can you get a Winegard Trav'ler instead? That's a roof-mount automatic dish instead of a dome. It is somewhat more capable than any dome-type satellite and can get HD as well as SD when using DirectTV.

By the way, are you aware that you need to choose which satellite service you will subsribe to so the antenna can be set up for the appropriate satellite(s)? And get the right receiver installed? Just getting an antenna on the roof is but one step toward satellite tv.

Can you get a Winegard Trav'ler instead? That's a roof-mount automatic dish instead of a dome.

An excellent dish -- love mine.

Just getting an antenna on the roof is but one step toward satellite tv.

And if it's a Trav'ler (probaby some others, as well), you must choose which service (Direct or Dish) before getting the antenna, since it's a different model for each service. The Trav'ler is probably a slightly higher price, but it's a much better unit if you don't need in-motion, including better in rain and snow.

The assumption is that when the RV is delivered, you will have a clear view of the sky. No trees.  Like the story of the man who builds a boat in his basement and cannot get it outside.

Just saying. I side with Huey Pilot.

You guys are on it! I will not always be in a fixed location and yes there are trees on my property where it's being delivered. Im having 2 cut down and the rest should not be a problem. The house has had satellite before so I know the direction the dish will face. The trees are being cut to make more room for the RV. I don't want to worry about falling branches during thunderstorms or snow. What I initially wanted was a roof mounted automatic, HD capable and compatable with Dish and Direct. More for simplicity sake when traveling and using a park. I will be traveling alone usually so I don't need in motion. I wouldn't mind using a dish on a tripod as long as it works and set up isn't a total pain. I just thought that may not be a good option in an RV park when I'm traveling for work.

What I initially wanted was a roof mounted automatic, HD capable and compatable with Dish and Direct.

We just got the RF Mogul roof-mounted automatic antenna that has HDTV and we have DirecTV.  We're pleased with it.  You have two buttons: Find and Stow.  Very easy.  The box has additional programming if you want to do other things.  As others have said, you need to decide which provider you want to use before making the hardware decision.  And, you're right - you don't need an in-motion dish.  I'm guessing it's more expensive and the dealer is more interested in making the sale than in meeting your needs.

ArdraF

From the "experience of life" book, I have had three different units installed, all in a prewired environment, and it was never more than three hours labor. Most of that was scrambling stuff up on the roof the tech forgot.

Have to admit being a big fan of the Winegard Trav'ler, and the auto setup, which I have with Directv, and I do enjoy the HD (not everyone needs that). Yes, you have to be clear of obstructions, but there are several iPhone apps that'll help you project your best parking spot for sat coverage.

The more remote you get, the more obstructions you are likely to encounter, but everyone wants what they want, so make your choices according to how you expect to be parked and how valuable that connection is. My wife does not allow us to park without satellite. Happy wife, happy life.  8)

Kim

You don't always get a choice in sites. With a tripod mounted dish you can find a line of sight to the satellites. Knowing the general direction of the satellites is helpful but there is a little more to it than that. Skew and elevation are part of the aiming as well as azimuth(compass direction). It might sound complicated but it turns out to be easy even for a luddite like me. Being able to move the tripod to either side or front or rear of RV to get a clear shot of the southern sky seems easier to me than repositioning the RV back and forth or side to side a few feet. Thats why some folks have a tripod along with the roof mount. Tailgater types are nice too, but have some limits and advantages that the tripods don't.

Bill

In Motion systems are also very iffy, seldom satisfactory traveling down the average road. You also can't watch it while driving so whats the use?? Mine is IN Motion and never used due to interupted signals when moving.>>>Dan

I'm definitely not getting in motion. I told the dealership today I want the Trav'ler if they can get it in time, otherwise not to worry about it. I can deal with it when I get back home if I need to. I'll have more time then.

Me thinks that once you said if they cannot get it by the time of delivery, forget it, the will have it overnight'd ( I think I made up a word). 

Good luck

My thoughts exactly! Motivation is a good thing. I just absolutely did not want the one they were going to install- inmotion, DISH only, standard definition. I'm glad I started researching and asking questions instead of just letting it happen.

ArdraF said:
We just got the RF Mogul roof-mounted automatic antenna that has HDTV and we have DirecTV.  We're pleased with it.  You have two buttons: Find and Stow.  Very easy.  The box has additional programming if you want to do other things.  As others have said, you need to decide which provider you want to use before making the hardware decision.  And, you're right - you don't need an in-motion dish.  I'm guessing it's more expensive and the dealer is more interested in making the sale than in meeting your needs.

ArdraF

I've been looking at various satellite options for our Winnebago. The RF Mogul is my favorite for...reasons...:p..but it's also the most expensive option by quite a bit.

SO far, the few places I've spoken to here in the PNW have all quoted me $2200. That includes removing the old "crank-up" Winegard manual dish and installing the new RF Mogul dish.
PPLmotorhomes.com has the Trav'ler 100 for Dish Network for $1205 right now...plus about $200 for the removal of the old dish and installation of the new.

I'm having a difficult time justifying the additional cost...even to myself. (but I'm still trying) :p

I'm even considering one of the portable Winegard units, but I'm leery of the thing "growing legs and walking off."

I KNOW, RV'ers are the kindest, most honest people in the world...but occasionally, non-RV'ers meander through RV parking areas...and you just never know about those people...

BoomerD said:
I KNOW, RV'ers are the kindest, most honest people in the world...but occasionally, non-RV'ers meander through RV parking areas...and you just never know about those people...

Could this be an urban legend? How many folks do any of us personally know this happened to? While I think there are some parks that are "loose" security wise, I don't recall being at more than one or two places in the last five years where I felt the need to keep a constant eye on my stuff (and I did not stay long, either).

Not wanting to appear argumentative, but I think the value of the portable dish might outweigh the chances of theft.  8)

Not so much an urban legend as being highly location dependent. Heck, we had potted flowers stolen in one place! But I think that is the exception rather than the rule in most RV parks.

I recall one place in NY where we workcamped a couple seasons. There was a large state park about 15 miles away that had all the legendary bad camper problems - theft, noise and drunken behavior. The camp hosts were volunteers and there was no onsite management - somebody had to call state law enforcement to get any help after about 6 pm.  We got many customers after their unpleasant experience there, because our park was quiet and tightly managed, with zero tolerance for misbehavior. Night & day difference.

It's the place you feel the most secure that'll catch you off guard. Thieving is a crime of opportunity, only takes a second to cut the cable and walk away. A nice quiet park, where everybody settles down for the night by 9:30-10:00, is prime hunting ground after midnight. I walk my dog around 8:00-9:00, there are unoccupied RV's on the perimeter of the campground with tailgaters just waiting for a thief. Some are chained or cable locked but not all of them. Even if your dog starts barking the thief will be hot footing it before you open the door, It would be easy to abscond with a tailgater. A dish on a tripod is not as attractive as it's not as valuable, bulkier and harder to carry on the run, besides the fact that there are more attractive tailgaters next door.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom