2016 Yellowstone Forum Rally - Trip Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For lunch or dinner, try Gallatin Roadhouse Grill, near the turn off to Big Sky. Great barbecue, fun country vibe, live music. If it is warm enough, you can sit on the patio overlooking the Gallatin River. We ate there the last time we were in Yellowstone, doing a snow coach tour in February. One of our sons lives in Bozeman, and this place is definitely going to be on our list when we visit since we go through West Yellowstone to get to Bozeman.

Thanks Sarge but the list hasn't been updated for awhile.  The list was posted on April 10 and edited on April 14.  Although Eric and I have a site assigned to us, there are several people new to the forum whom I convinced to attend the YNP rally including a couple from a different forum.  Kim said I shouldn't feel responsible for them, but I do.  He also said that there was one party who was holding up the assignment process but he had given them a deadline.  Kim will probably update the assignment list very soon. 

Hi,
We are in the planning process and will be going West on I80 toward Salt Lake (our last visit was via Salt Lake, and Idaho Falls) and then North. I noticed earlier references to I90 and then US 287 and 191. I presume these are equally applicable to travelling North from I80? If not, I'd appreciate your comments.

Tx,,

Ernie

Ernie,

We are coming up through SLC, then Fort Hall, then Grizzly from the south. That northern route would be more appropriate for folks coming from much farther north, I think.

Weather at the time is the big factor to me on which one.

Where are you coming from?

Kim

Ernie n Tara said:
Hi,
We are in the planning process and will be going West on I80 toward Salt Lake (our last visit was via Salt Lake, and Idaho Falls) and then North. I noticed earlier references to I90 and then US 287 and 191. I presume these are equally applicable to travelling North from I80? If not, I'd appreciate your comments.

Tx,,

Ernie

Ernie, I agree with Kim, if you were already up north the I-90 and US287/191 would make more sense.  If coming from the southern route through SLC, then merely stay on I-15 all the way to Idaho Falls (exit 119 I believe) then stay on Hwy20 all the way through Rexburg, Ashton and Island Park and into West Yellowstone, MT.  Turn right on Electric Avenue and Grizzly will be about two blocks on your right.

Mike.

Ernie n Tara said:
Hi,

Tx,,

Ernie
We live in the SLC area. Take I-80 to I-84 to I-15 (north side of the SLC area). I-84 is an easier way to cross the Wasatch Mountains than I-80. Take Highway 20 in Idaho Falls (well marked as the path to Yellowstone). It leads right into West Yellowstone. This is the way we always head up. Highway 20 runs in the back side of the Tetons with some great views.

Happycamper843 said:
I hear the blue ridge parkwayin North Carolina is nice.

Happy Camper,

We'll wander a little off the YNP topic for a moment to address your question.

Typically an RV Forum rally needs a park that can host up to 20-25 rigs at a time of various sizes from the largest to the smallest. Many places are just not set up for that. Often we negotiate a "rally rate" with the owners to benefit both the attendees and the owner filling up his sites.

On the other hand, a rally happens when someone decides to pick a date and a place and fires it up!

We will actually be coming down the East coast in November, stopping at Gaffney, SC for Freightliner, but if you want to fire up an interest post in the Rally section and see what you see, give it a shot! I'd be glad to help you!

There are many very good spots in the area as soon as you determine the boundaries of the "southeast"...  8) (I say that because I am an Arkansas Razorback in the Southeast Conference and we play Texas A&M and nobody who can read a map would consider College Station, TX the "southeast")

Kim

Our current plan is DFW area to Salina KS(I35) I70 to Denver I25 N to pick up I80 then West toward SLC and North to Yellowstone. The last time we were in Moab so the trip was a straight shot North to Yellowstone.as Kim described.

I'd say the route West to then go North through SLC, etc. is about the same distance (1500Miles). Suggested routes?

Ernie

Ernie
As mentioned before, take I 84 and that will bring to the south Ogden area, way better than 80 all the way to 15.  Looking forward to seeing you.

Bill

Ernie n Tara said:
Our current plan is DFW area to Salina KS(I35) I70 to Denver I25 N to pick up I80 then West toward SLC and North to Yellowstone. The last time we were in Moab so the trip was a straight shot North to Yellowstone.as Kim described.

I'd say the route West to then go North through SLC, etc. is about the same distance (1500Miles). Suggested routes?

Ernie
If you want a scenic drive, still not too hard, stay on I70 through southern Utah to Highway 191. Head north through Price to Highway 6 to I 15. Wiggly canyons, gorgeous views, not bad on elevation changes. That's the way we always head to Denver even though we live about 10 miles from I 80 eastbound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom