2016 Yellowstone Forum Rally - Trip Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscar Mike said:
Steve, fortunately I have a more leisurely schedule so I am taking my time driving from Vegas to West Yellowstone, don't tell Susan that I am actually leaving a day earlier than we must... ::)

I am seriously considering not even towing and just renting when we arrive. We'll see. Jeep weighed in at 4,620# curb weight today. We are searching for a full time toad, Ford Focus or such, but that's another discussion.

I am REALLY looking forward to this event and meeting up with friends and meeting new friends. Almost giddy... ;D

What's this crap John.  I was hoping to see the Jeep are tricked out. :'(  Besides, it's a Jeep, it doesn't want to be left behind.

Mike.

I am going to post some numbers in the Towing thread...please advise.

zmotorsports said:
What's this crap John.  I was hoping to see the Jeep are tricked out. :'(  Besides, it's a Jeep, it doesn't want to be left behind.

Mike.

After confirming my numbers, it looks like towing is not an issue. I'll be bringing "Red Rover" along. What in the world is this thing with naming Jeeps?  :eek:

Oscar Mike said:
After confirming my numbers, it looks like towing is not an issue. I'll be bringing "Red Rover" along. What in the world is this thing with naming Jeeps?  :eek:

Good for you.  As for naming them, I guess "it's a Jeep thing." ;D

Mike.

Hi,

We're about to give the overheating problem the acid test. Arrived in Larado this afternoon and will head out on I80 over the mountains to Salt Lake in the AM. Hope to arrive at KOA around 4:00 in the pm.

Please advise of any adverse conditions or happenings.

Thanks,

Ernie

Oscar Mike said:
What in the world is this thing with naming Jeeps?  :eek:
Blame Roy Rogers:

NELLYBELLE
One of the most memorable characters on the Roy Rogers TV show that ran from 1951 through 1957 was neither Roy, Dale, Trigger, Buttermilk or even Bullet - or for that matter even made of flesh and blood. It was a TV icon manufactured from good old American steel and named Nellybelle, a 1946 Willys CJ-2A Jeep with some very innovative bodywork. It was in fact owned by Roy, but was driven in the show by his comic sidekick, Pat Brady (1914-1972). Brady met Rogers while appearing as a bass guitarist in California in 1935, striking up a friendship with the young country & western singer who was a member of the popular group, The Sons of the Pioneers. When Len Slye was elevated to screen stardom as Roy Rogers, he recommended Brady as his replacement. However, as Bob Nolan, an original member of The Sons, was referred to as Bob, "Bob Brady" became "Pat Brady" joining the legendary singing group and appearing in a dozen films between 1938-51, including West of Cheyenne (1938), Man from Sundown (1939), The Durango Kid (1940), Song of Texas (1943), Bells of Coronado (1950), and South of Caliente (1951).

On TV, Pat Brady drove around Mineral City, the setting of the series, sweet talking to Nellybelle as if his verbal compliments could convince the recalcitrant jeep to get up and go. The name, which was painted on her doors in most episodes, apparently developed out of Pat riding an ornery mule in the earlier movies, and addressing it with phrases like "Whoa, Nelly!"

Roy Rogers chose to include a Jeep into the program because he noticed that after WWII, Jeeps were very popular, especially with children. Rogers himself owned a Jeep which he used for hunting, off road cruising and travel to and from his studio.
KEYWORDS
20th Century

Ernie n Tara said:
Please advise of any adverse conditions or happenings.

At the moment, the weather in SLC looks a little stormy late Friday, but nothing to keep your from traveling. Hopefully, the cooler temps might help alleviate any heating issues.

Safe travels!

Kim

Hey,

Right now we're parked at the Provo Elks club. It's about 30 miles south of the KOA in SLC. We're the only ones here. They have 5 spaces with full hookups and 50A power on a level paved lot. And you can't beat the price at $20.00 / night with a really nice club house serving adult beverages within walking distance.

I'm sure this stay here is going to cost, though. We're within walking distance of a large shopping center and of course the first thing DW noticed is they have a large Dillards - her favorite place to shop. Plans have already been made for a whole afternoon there.

We are leaving Minnesota on May 10.  We plan to take I94 to I90. 

Is it better to:
A.  Take I90 to Livingston and then go south on 89 to Gardiner through the north entrance, down to Norris Junction and then on to Grizzly, or
B.  Take I90 to Bozeman and then take 191 to the west entrance and Grizzly?

What are the pros and cons of each route?  Scenery, travel time, driving challenges, etc.?

We have not driven in the mountains much less pulled a TT through the mountains.  Thanks for the advice. 

We look forward to meeting everyone on May 15.  Cheers!

I haven't been on those roads in about 3 decades...so I really can't...and won't even try to advise on those issues...BUT, if you come down 191, be sure to allow time for a stop here:

http://innonthegallatin.com/

Their pancakes are rated as some of the very best in the country...

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/the-21-best-pancakes-in-america

There's just NO WAY I can pass up a place that's that highly rated...:D

(it's no farkin wonder I can't manage to shed pounds.)  :p

IF Everything goes according to plan, we SHOULD be at the Inn on Friday night...and ready for breakfast on Saturday.  8)

MN Blue Skies said:
Is it better to:
A.  Take I90 to Livingston and then go south on 89 to Gardiner through the north entrance, down to Norris Junction and then on to Grizzly, or
B.  Take I90 to Bozeman and then take 191 to the west entrance and Grizzly?
Since we have a son in Bozeman, we have done both paths a number of times. The easy way is just Bozeman to 191. It is as direct as you can be in the mountains, and very pretty. Wiggly in a few places, but with nice pullouts. You need to remember that Montana has a law that says you need to pull over if vehicles back up behind you, but they do provide the pullouts to do so. My son makes it from Bozeman to West Yellowstone in just over an hour, but plan on two in a motor home without  crazy driver.

Going through Gardiner will be lovely but much more time consuming due to the driving speed in the park. I would recommend doing that drive in a toad during the rally when you can take the time to enjoy it.

UTTransplant said:
The easy way is just Bozeman to 191. It is as direct as you can be in the mountains, and very pretty. Wiggly in a few places, but with nice pullouts.

Well then it's 191.  Thanks!

UTTransplant said:
Since we have a son in Bozeman, we have done both paths a number of times. The easy way is just Bozeman to 191. It is as direct as you can be in the mountains, and very pretty. Wiggly in a few places, but with nice pullouts. You need to remember that Montana has a law that says you need to pull over if vehicles back up behind you, but they do provide the pullouts to do so. My son makes it from Bozeman to West Yellowstone in just over an hour, but plan on two in a motor home without  crazy driver.

Going through Gardiner will be lovely but much more time consuming due to the driving speed in the park. I would recommend doing that drive in a toad during the rally when you can take the time to enjoy it.

^^^This.  We've done both various times and seeing as how you will have a vehicle to go exploring the park with, you can see the north (Original) entrance without the trailer.  I-90 to Bozeman and then 191 straight into West is spectucular, follows the Galatin River and well worth the drive but also the most direct of the two.

Mike.

Another perspective for you, Max, is that the urge to start shooting pictures will overwhelm you and you won't be able to stop where you need to stop if you come through the park all hooked up.

US 191 from Bozeman will be a gentle introduction to the landscape and the river is really pretty as you come down.

At the moment, West Yellowstone is a ghost town compared to what it will be like at the end of the month. Grizzly is lightly populated and life is good!

See everybody soon! Weather here was glorious yesterday, sunshine and quite cool early.

Here's what you see when you come into the park from the west entrance...

Attachments

• _TSC8960_540.jpg
    _TSC8960_540.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 22
Attention those coming into West Yellowstone via US 191 from Bozeman!

There is a construction delay in the Big Sky area, roughly halfway down, where one lane only will be open and they are using a pilot car. That can be a 30 minute delay if you hit it wrong.

It's possible that work might be completed by this weekend, but...

Kim

Back
Top Bottom