2016 Yellowstone Forum Rally - Trip Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just noticed that I shoulda posted this on this thread:

Wondering if anyone plans to drive to West Y'stone from the "south"... Southern NM, West Tx, ... which route are you favoring?  One that Google Maps suggested goes up thru Denver, Casper, then across Wy, then swing west of YNP...  Another suggested a swing west thru Moab, SLC and up.. Another one goes thru Buena Vista to I-70, then west for a while and north again on some "secondary" highways 191/189...thru Jackson,  The weather in Colorado might be a large factor especially for the high elevation routes...

this might show it: https://roadtrippers.com/map?lat=43.04731&lng=-110.71953&z=10&a2=t!14153480

thx.

We're on our way to Yellowstone now. We left the Tucson area via Phoenix to Flagstaff and then north on 89 with a stop in Page. We're presently stopped at Bryce Canyon for a week and will head to SLC for a couple of days and then to Yellowstone.

It's cold here at Bryce - below freezing every night. Even with the cold weather Bryce is as crowded as I've seen it in June before. The visitor center was packed yesterday.  I  hope these crowds aren't a prediction of what we'll see at Yellowstone this May.

Chet18013 said:
We're on our way to Yellowstone now. We left the Tucson area via Phoenix to Flagstaff and then north on 89 with a stop in Page. We're presently stopped at Bryce Canyon for a week and will head to SLC for a couple of days and then to Yellowstone.

It's cold here at Bryce - below freezing every night. Even with the cold weather Bryce is as crowded as I've seen it in June before. The visitor center was packed yesterday.  I  hope these crowds aren't a prediction of what we'll see at Yellowstone this May.

A co-worker of mine just went to Yellowstone last week and said there was no one there, it was great.  He also said the weather wasn't the greatest and some areas were not going to be open until this week so that may have been a factor.  I am sure that visitor numbers will do nothing but increase from here on into the season.  Can't be any worse that 4th of July weekend though. ???

Mike.

interesting websites re: YNP

detailed maps of the various hiking trails with guidance regarding what to see
http://www.trailguidesyellowstone.com/information/yellowstone_guided_day_hikes.php

videos of the hiking trails, quite amazing actually... Go Pro?
http://naturevalleytrailview.com/

Here are the YNP Yellow Bus trips... some won't start until June but some are available starting May 18, like the photo tour that leaves very early in the morning.
http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/things-to-do/summer-things-to-do/adventures-on-land

webcam of Old Faithful:
https://www.nps.gov/features/yell/webcam/oldFaithfulStreaming.html

If anyone gets interested in some of these maybe we can connect?

I'll let someone else tell their story, but from SLC, that would not be my first choice in a larger motorhome towing.

But having done that route in a car, at park speeds, that might make for a long day. I just like the Idaho Falls, US 20 route better coming from the south.

Kim

I driven into Yellowstone many times from all angles and my favorite is I-15>26>89>191. None of the routes in are scary in a motorhome unless you take 22 into Jackson.

Steve N Dee said:
What day are you leaving Vegas to head up there John?

Steve

Right now plans are to leave Vegas on 5/13 drive to Fillmore, UT (284 miles), then onto Pocatello, ID 5/14 (308 miles) and drive into West Yellowstone on the 15th (158 miles).

We are getting ready to leave Oceanside on 5/8 and heading to Mesquite over night, going to Moab for 4 nights then on to Lake Jordanelle State Park in Park City for 2 nights and then will be in Yellowstone on the 15th. Anyone going our way?
Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone.
Anita and Jeff

The South entrance to Yellowstone, from Tetons will not open until May 13. 

Good roads, but easiest would be 20 from Idaho Falls, to West Yellowstone.  The only long climb I can do with my gas coach and not drop below 45.

Because I have to work on Friday the 13th, but want to make it to the park by Sunday, we are planning the following schedule.  Leave Burbank, CA Friday the 13th at 5:00pm to Las Vegas (280 miles) by 11:00pm.  Do an overnight, then Saturday the 14th, Vegas to SLC (Ogden-430 miles) for an overnight.  Then Sunday the 15th, Ogden to West Yellowstone (300 miles).  We'd be happy to meet up with anyone at any point along the way.  For sure we will take the most direct route I-15 to US 20.  Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Steve & Dee

WooHoo! It looks like, IF Kim is able to get our space back...we'll be joining youse folks after all. (I have a boat-load of stuff to get done, around the house and to the motorhome and toad before we leave...but assuming everything comes together, we'll be leaving Kitsap County, WA on the morning of Thursday 5/12. We'll stop for the night in Spokane, then head for "The Inn on the Gallatin," south of Bozeman. (about 425 miles) IF I can make it that far in one day. Not sure how much the various mountain passes will affect my average speed...going down...no problem!,  8)  but going UP the hills...  :-\
anyway...IF things go according to plan...and they rarely do, we should be in West Yellowstone somewhere around noon on Sunday.

If anyone coming from the northwest wants to hook up and caravan...I'm fine with that, just be aware...I stop for gas at Costcos about every 200-250 miles....and will hit Costco Missoula and Costco Bozeman for gas. ( I have no idea how much pulling the C-Max will affect my mileage...and my wife says she's NOT going to  push the motorhome if I run out of gas...darned uppity wimmenz!)

We are leaving the SLC area sometime between 8:00 and 8:30 on Sunday, heading straight to West Yellowstone. So many of us will be on I15 or Hwy 20 that day we should have created some kind of flag so we recognize the other travelers! We will be the folks in the smaller Outdoors RV Timber Ridge with a red truck. Honk if you see us. ?

Steve N Dee said:
Because I have to work on Friday the 13th, but want to make it to the park by Sunday, we are planning the following schedule.  Leave Burbank, CA Friday the 13th at 5:00pm to Las Vegas (280 miles) by 11:00pm.  Do an overnight, then Saturday the 14th, Vegas to SLC (Ogden-430 miles) for an overnight.  Then Sunday the 15th, Ogden to West Yellowstone (300 miles).  We'd be happy to meet up with anyone at any point along the way.  For sure we will take the most direct route I-15 to US 20.  Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Steve & Dee

Steve, fortunately I have a more leisurely schedule so I am taking my time driving from Vegas to West Yellowstone, don't tell Susan that I am actually leaving a day earlier than we must... ::)

I am seriously considering not even towing and just renting when we arrive. We'll see. Jeep weighed in at 4,620# curb weight today. We are searching for a full time toad, Ford Focus or such, but that's another discussion.

I am REALLY looking forward to this event and meeting up with friends and meeting new friends. Almost giddy... ;D

Oscar Mike said:
I am seriously considering not even towing and just renting when we arrive. We'll see. Jeep weighed in at 4,620# curb weight today. We are searching for a full time toad, Ford Focus or such, but that's another discussion.
You might not need to rent.  I'm sure there will be a number of folks who have room in their vehicles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom