Magnetic tow light cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graydude

Hi all,

I am towing my toad using magnetic mounted tow lights to the trunk of the car.  The front of the wiring connects to a plug on the MH.  The question I have is how do you secure the cable that runs from the back of the MH to the trunk lid and then to the lights?  I'm worried about the cable flapping in the wind on the roof of the toad.  What is everyone else using?  Thanks!

From the trunk, pass your wiring inside the car's cabin, using the handles near the top, then out of the cabin and under the hood along the fender and out in front of the car, attach that wiring to your towbar and leave some slack to your MH.

My next towed will use the magnetic lights. I plan to mount sockets on the car to plug in each light. Then there is no problem when the lights are in the trunk.

I put mine inside the car on the deck behind the back seat.  A little Velcro with a sticky side stuck on the magnets also sticks to the fuzzy material on the deck.  I ran the cable down behind the back seat, under the mats and under the hood and out the front.  That way I left the lights stationary in the toad and coiled the other end of the cable under the hood when not in use also no accidental scratches on the trunk.

I agree "Install" the lights, running the cable along the existing wireing channel, passing it through the fire wall, and out under the hook to connect to the MH..  Not towing you can coil excess cable somewhere under the hood.

Stow the lights in the trunk, take them out and close the lid on the lights.

Way neater than running the cable along the side doors.. Less damage to the finish, and if the lights fall off,  Depending on where you bring the cable comes out they may "Hang around" and not get lost.

NOTE: Not a fan of magnetic tow lights.. Too many "Legs" but they are useful in some cases.

When we used magnetic lights (for about 7 years), we ran the wires underneath the toad and left them there permanently, with a 4-pin plug tucked behind the rear bumper. The other end of the wires was at the front of the toad and the coach plugged into it there. That way the wires to the mag lights was only about 3 ft long and all on the back of the SUV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom