Prescription medications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RunningRigging

Patty and I wil be taking off for better than a year come May. Pulling a 30' TT/TH out west from west Massachusetts. How do y'all fulltimers get your prescription medications? Ya, at 65 we take some. It's a PIA, but beats the alternatives. Thanks for any input and direction.
Safe travels all.
gary

We use CVS for our prescriptions, and we can get them refilled at any of their locations anywhere in the country. Most of the national chains like Walgreens, Walmart, etc., have similar setups. If a prescription needs renewing, they will even contact our doctor's office for it. If you take any Class 2, etc., controlled drugs, they can be more complicated to manage, but the common run of the mill drugs most of us take are not a problem.

Many pharmacies will handle them at any of their locations, e.g. CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc. However, they cannot transfer "controlled substances" like oxycodene, opiates, etc. Your insurer may have a mail order service as well

I have had real good luck with Wal-Mart - can manage my scrips online and order from the nearest Wal-Mart and change at will while I travel....

And I am lucky all three of mine are on the $4.00 list....

Good Luck,

Jim

OK, that goes along with what I was thinking. Was thinking of transferring Rx's to Walmart. Then saw that there were no Walmarts arond Jackson, WY, where we'll be staying for several months. I'll look at other national chains. Thanks for the direction folks.
Safe travels all.
gary

Gary,

Most all of the majors will offer a mailing option if you get out in the boonies somewhere. The trick there is to be sure your mail (park addresses and General Delivery have both worked for us) and your schedule coincide.

We are Walgreens for many years and the only place we have been where we could not be served in five and a half years fulltiming was Bozeman, MT, and we beat the locals by mail ordering (apparently they are trying to protect the Mom and Pop's).

My wife has not had as much fun with Walmart as I do with Walgreens, but they are all pretty much available online and by mail.

Good luck, but it's not too complicated.

Kim

Thanks for another option, Kim!  We'll be in Alpine, WY, just south of Jackson, for about 4 months. Then down to camp the high desert somewhere withing 50 miles of Las Vegas for the winter months. We've got sons and their families in both locations. :)
g

You also need to check with the local post office where you're staying to be sure they have General Delivery.  It is not a service at every single post office.

ArdraF

Any pharmacy can fill your scripts, but it might require a call to the pharmacy that filled it last.  You can get it at a chain one time and a local independent the next time. It is helpful to get the process started a couple of days early so you don't run out.  The one problem is with scheduled drugs. Check with your pharmacist to see if you take any scheduled drugs.  Class 3-5 can only be transferred once without the new pharmacy getting back to your doctor, again give yourself a few days.  Your doctor can give post dated scripts for schedule II drugs, but usually only for 90 days total.  If you stay in one place for a while he can mail you new prescriptions to have filled.

Thanks for a new perspective and added strategies, Keven.  Neither Patty or I have Rx for any scheduled medications. So it sounds like that will make the process easier. And thanks to all responders. :)
g

kjansen said:
Any pharmacy can fill your scripts, but it might require a call to the pharmacy that filled it last.  You can get it at a chain one time and a local independent the next time. It is helpful to get the process started a couple of days early so you don't run out.  The one problem is with scheduled drugs. Check with your pharmacist to see if you take any scheduled drugs.  Class 3-5 can only be transferred once without the new pharmacy getting back to your doctor, again give yourself a few days.  Your doctor can give post dated scripts for schedule II drugs, but usually only for 90 days total.  If you stay in one place for a while he can mail you new prescriptions to have filled.

When I needed a refill while on vacation I called my Doctors office and had them call and fax a new script to the local CVS. Much easier and faster than having the CVS try to ask for a script. It was a 24 hr store, and I picked up the meds the same day.

srs713 said:
When I needed a refill while on vacation I called my Doctors office and had them call and fax a new script to the local CVS. Much easier and faster than having the CVS try to ask for a script. It was a 24 hr store, and I picked up the meds the same day.

Some scripts can not be faxed or e-scribe and some clinics require the pharmacist to call.  Regulations vary from state to state and from clinic to clinic and yes usually you can get scripts fill the same day, but there exceptions and allowing a day or 2 notice for transfers makes it easier in some cases.  Just be prepared.  As a pharmacist with 40+ years experience, just be prepared that in some cases you may have to wait sometimes.  I still work  part time in vacation areas of Minnesota and about 50% of my business of Saturdays is filling transferred prescriptions.

Also, if you're Costco members...and in an area where they have stores, their pharmacies can do much the same kinds of things as other pharmacies...often at a lower price, especially if you don't have insurance to cover prescriptions. (the one script I take is on the Walmart $4.00 list...but that's $4.00 per month, while the same script at Costco costs me about $7.50 for 100 days.) Just a thought...

I have two prescriptions that have to be shipped overnight in a cooler via UPS from a specialty pharmacy. How often have you run into campgrounds that would not allow you to receive packages there? I don't think I could have this shipped "General Delivery" to a post office via UPS. Not sure how we are going to handle this once we are on the road.

Vicki

UPS will deliver to a post office, but it has to have the post office address on the package.

Name
                                    General delivery
                                    post office address
                                    town state zip code

shorts said:
I have two prescriptions that have to be shipped overnight in a cooler via UPS from a specialty pharmacy. How often have you run into campgrounds that would not allow you to receive packages there? I don't think I could have this shipped "General Delivery" to a post office via UPS.

Almost all towns have a Mail Box type store that will receive all types of packages. Most charge a small fee, $1-10, depending on size.

shorts said:
I have two prescriptions that have to be shipped overnight in a cooler via UPS from a specialty pharmacy. How often have you run into campgrounds that would not allow you to receive packages there? I don't think I could have this shipped "General Delivery" to a post office via UPS. Not sure how we are going to handle this once we are on the road.

Vicki
I've often seen UPS packages waiting in a park office for guests to pick them up. The park we're in right now, UPS delivers right to your site.

Back
Top Bottom