Dish Tailgator issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikasdads

We added dish and decided to go with a Tailgator since we thought it would be easier to use. What a mistake. We never seem to get all our channels and often don't have HD.  I have a decent "signal" according to Dish support but can't pick up CNN and a lot of others.  Anyone else have the problems?  Is a rooftop system any better?  how difficult is the setup on a regular full size dish on a Tripod? 

thanks!

I have one and it never fails - got HD and all my channels - what sats are you getting, if you go to setup and installation then system info it will show the sats and how well they are being received. so on the remote hit Menu - 6, 1, 3 you should get 110,119 and 129 make sure they are all in the green if not move the dish for a clearer view the repeat.

Good Luck, mine has been trouble free for 3 years..

Jim

All are green and the strength says "Good".  I might have a bad Reciever. How do you get the signal from the dish inside?  I'm using the wiring that was factory installed. I hook the dish to the outlet in the basement and then the Reciever to the outlet inside. For fun I tried running direct to the Reciever through the window but it didn't make any difference.

I believe the wire with the tailgater is different from the wire in the rv, plus you may have a booster ckt that blocks the signal. I run mine through the door. I also mounted a compass to Velcro on a piece of light weight sign board bolted the dish bottom holes to find South and make sure of a clear view. When you ran the wire through the window did you re do the setup of the dish. Mine has worked great except for my local channels.

As long as we have a clear southern view, ours works wonderfully. I do have the cable connected directly from the tailgater to the receiver, it wont work at all using the trailers wiring.

On most of the RV systems it will not work with the cable input circuit. There is signal splitters in the system that will not transfer all the signals. I added another input under the hood and ran a cable to the dash and up the window pillar to the overhead cabinets. I sometimes have to move the Tailgater around a couple of times to find a clear location. If the tailgater and receiver have not been used for a month or so, you may have to call Dish to have them turn the service back on.

Note that OP said he ran a direct cable with no change in what he receives.

What else can be changed in setup?

Options are receiver, tailgator, location, or anything not mentioned.

What kind of cable are you using?  It should be a good grade of RG-6.  In your process of troubleshooting, be sure to try a different cable to eliminate the possibility of a defective cable.

IF your receiver is showing GOOD signal on all three sats. 110, 119, and 129, and you're not receiving the channels you think you should be receiving, I'd be calling Dish to ensure that you have the proper programming package to receive the channels you want.  It sound more like a Dish program package issue then anything else.

The tripod is easy once you get the hang of it. Cable TV cable isn't compatible with satellite signal along with the splitters used for cable. When you change locations, if you move far enough you leave the footprint of the transponder on the satellite that gives you local channels. All it takes to correct is a phone call or a message to dish to change transponders. The choice made in what cable you use between satellite box and TV makes a difference as well If you use three RCA jack type you might not get HD. My TV requires an HDMI cable between box and TV for HD.

Bill

Mine has been trouble free for a year, it's easier to work with dish when moving to an different location to have the ZIP code handy for the new location. Still a pain in the neck to talk to someone of a different language.. My rooftop dome works fine but uses a different receiver than the tailgater and has a tree problem.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
Mine has been trouble free for a year, it's easier to work with dish when moving to an different location to have the ZIP code handy for the new location. Still a pain in the neck to talk to someone of a different language.. My rooftop dome works fine but uses a different receiver than the tailgater and has a tree problem.>>>Dan

I use the chat function online to have them change my service address - works every time...I have it in a notepad file on my desktop on my computer just log in to my Dish account and get the support chat window up and send the following...

Hi,

This account is for my RV, and I have changed locations.

Please change my service address to:

4949 Desert Knoll Avenue
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277

My billing address does not change.

Thank you!

Jim Lucas

The easiest way for sure....

amyken said:
What do you guys have for rcvrs? We are hoping to use a Hopper and a Joey.
You must have a VIP 211Z to work with a Tailgator.  A Hopper won't work.  I think you might be able to use a Hopper with Winegard Carryout or Pathway (I think).

Molaker said:
You must have a VIP 211Z to work with a Tailgator.  A Hopper won't work.  I think you might be able to use a Hopper with Winegard Carryout or Pathway (I think).

We have an in motion Winegard. I'm guessing my cabling will need to be changed out as it is a 2007 and probably has RG59 and not RG6.

amyken said:
What do you guys have for rcvrs? We are hoping to use a Hopper and a Joey.
The Hopper requires a multiple LNB dish such as the Winegard Trav'ler automatic roof mounted unit (big $$$) or a tripod mounted manually aimed 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish. The new Hopper 3 needs the new hybrid LNBF that only fits the 1000.2. There are no automatic portables that work with the Hopper.

I see someone has commented about the splitters and such.. Forget that. If you get ANY channels. then you have a good cable between tailgater and receiver, no splitters or the thing would not work at all.

Dish HD depends on where you are parked.  Dish network for many years used two Satellites locatec over the equator at 110 and 119 degrees west.> As I recall w/o looking 110 is kind of close to the California coast.. 119 is farther west, and 127.  Well that is even farther.. So if you are on the east coast that is kind of close to the horizon..  Putting it on the roof MIGHT help... or not.

There is an east coast alternative,,,,, However.... the Tailgater is not set up for it.

Finally, though you have a straight coax between ANTENNA and RECEIVER.. it is likely low end RG-59  Which is a high loss cable, Quality RG-6 is the specified cable.. or RG-9, and I would not recommend RG-9 (Big Thick Heavy Cable that will tear the connectors off the receiver and antenna if moved.. Which is why RG-6 is recommended).

no splitters or the thing would not work at all.

That's true of the usual splitters, but there are those made specifically to handle satellite systems -- I have a couple -- and they work fine. But it's likely you're right for what they are likely to have in there.

we've had a Tailgater for 3 years now and really like it. As many have said, make sure you have good RG-6 cable and clear view to the south. A 20 buck or so cable tester helps prevent a LOT of frustration!
Ours sits for weeks at a time in the basement so I generally have to call Dish and have them do their magic when we first hook up. I try to do this before we leave home... I've found the folks at Dish to be very helpful.
I'm going to have to give the chat function a try.

I confirmed with WB that my jack in the basement is for cable TV and doesn't run through the booster before I used it. It's basically the same installation that Dish used in my house. Dish to a wall jack, wall jack to Reciever. Since I can't upgrade all my wiring inside, and the Tailgator came with the coax cable I'm using I have to eliminate wiring as the problem.  Dish now thinks my Reciever is bad. Hopefully the new one gets here before we move on down the road.

Back
Top Bottom