Adding Inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Not A Clue

I know this has been discussed many times, but I am looking for information specific to my situation. 

Currently I have no inverter in my motorhome.
I have two six volt batteries that are 7+ years old

I am not going to add more batteries, space issue......
I will be probably be changing them out for two AGM's

The easiest path to take is a whole house setup.  Replace charger with inverter/charger.
Since this is being done at a shop the labor vs more expensive hardware kind of balances out.

I was quoted two ways to go.

Inverter....MSW 1200w 70A charger.
Inverter....PSW 1000w 50A charger $292 more.

I know that on this setup I will have to watch what I run and not run to many appliances together.

I will be going full time later this year.  I am not looking for a setup for lots of boon docking, just looking
to be able to overnight in a non hook up environment if needed, or maybe a couple of days with out hook ups.
I have a good working generator.  I have a Traveler automatic dish on the roof.

Based on lots of reading I am leaning towards the PSW, of course. 
This will be an exact replacement to size also matters.

Thanks in advance!

This doesn't address how the power gets from the inverter to the 120v distribution panel (breaker box), but I'll assume the shop is competent and gets it right. There is a lot more to it than just swapping a converter for an inverter.

You ought to be able to get a quote on any size & type you want. If what you want is 1200W and PSW, ask for a quote on that.  The difference in price between 1000W and 1200 or 1500 isn't great, so no need to short yourself.  On the other hand, just two batteries really limits the power you can produce, so going over 1200 is probably a waste of money.  So, you need to consider carefully what devices you may want to power (and their watt consumption) vs the available inverter power (inverter rating + battery capacity). Wish it was simpler than that, but your ultimate satisfaction depends on understanding the wants vs capability question.

If you don't want to take the time to figure out a power budget or get a different quote, I would probably go for the PSW 1000W option.

Here are some available PSW inverter/chargers:
http://www.theinverterstore.com/12-volt-pure-sine-inverter-chargers.html

Gary, thanks for responding,  I understand there will be limits on the activity I can do with a limited battery bank.  Shouldn't be a problem with what I intend to use it for.  The shop doing the work is very good and not cheap but they have done other work for me and done an excellent job.
And yes, I think PSW option will be the best way to go.  From what I have read 1000w should be plenty for my battery bank.

Thanks again.

Yes, your two batteries cannot produce more than 1000W for more than a few minutes, Maybe not even that  when they age some. But if the reason for getting the inverter is to run a toaster or a microwave, the wattage limit is a crucial factor. Most people don't pay attention to the power needed by the stuff they use every day. Coffee makers run 800-1200W, hair dryers 1000W and up, microwaves 1200-2000W, toasters 800-1200W, and so on.  Anything that produces heat electrically is a power hog.  If you don't have enough inverter & battery to run the stuff you expect to use, save your money and don't buy it at all.

But if you just want to watch a bit of tv, charge a cell phone, or run a laptop computer, any of your choices should be fine. PSW is a little better, though.

I woudl go with the PSW. though two GC-2 size batteries can take a 70 amp charge.. (but you can keep your current converter too).

PSW is just so so much better in the long run

Now, do you know how to get power from the Inverter to the loads?    Two answers depending on the inverter.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Yes, your two batteries cannot produce more than 1000W for more than a few minutes, Maybe not even that  when they age some. But if the reason for getting the inverter is to run a toaster or a microwave, the wattage limit is a crucial factor. Most people don't pay attention to the power needed by the stuff they use every day. Coffee makers run 800-1200W, hair dryers 1000W and up, microwaves 1200-2000W, toasters 800-1200W, and so on.  Anything that produces heat electrically is a power hog.  If you don't have enough inverter & battery to run the stuff you expect to use, save your money and don't buy it at all.

But if you just want to watch a bit of tv, charge a cell phone, or run a laptop computer, any of your choices should be fine. PSW is a little better, though.

Gary, yes my goal is for watching TV for a few hours at night if we are dry camping or parking lot camping and maybe a laptop and charge a cell phone or two.  Anything else I have perfectly good generator to use.  Thanks

Thanks all for your input, I realize that it is not perfect but I think for what I am using it for I am on the right track.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Here are some available PSW inverter/chargers:
http://www.theinverterstore.com/12-volt-pure-sine-inverter-chargers.html

Gary,  That's pretty impressive pricing.  Do you have any reliability information on the AIMS inverter/chargers?

The OP nailed it...we get along fine with our 700w msw until it's time to nuke or toast something, then we go start the gennie.  But it's getting to the point where it would be nice to do that without starting the gennie.

Joel

No I don't, Joel, but I just bought an AIMS inverter w/transfer switch (no charging) for an incredible $147 (sale price). I figured I couldn't go far wrong at that price.

I'm about to replace our Norcold 1200 with a residential fridge and wanted a pure sine inverter to optimize power for it. Our main coach inverter is MSW.

Gary RV Roamer said:
No I don't, Joel, but I just bought an AIMS inverter w/transfer switch (no charging) for an incredible $147 (sale price). I figured I couldn't go far wrong at that price.

I'm about to replace our Norcold 1200 with a residential fridge and wanted a pure sine inverter to optimize power for it. Our main coach inverter is MSW.

Gary, sorry a bit off topic here, but I would love to see pictures of your residential refrigerator install when you get to it.  After replacing our Norcold with a Samsung residential last summer, I can honestly say it is one of the best mods I have done to our coach, the wife loves it.

Mike.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Wow, if you can share where did you find that?

That is a good price for a PSW inverter. Gary, is the inverter you ordered Part # PWRIX120012S? If so, would you happen to know some of its specs, specifically how many amps it draws when it's inverting something as large as a fridge? Their website doesn't show that info for some reason.

At Just Lou's suggestion, I've been considering adding a second smaller inverter to power just the fridge and one other outlet while boondocking. That way, I could turn off the much larger 2800 Magnum at night, but still keep the fridge on, charge a couple cell phones and watch TV. I'm just trying to figure out what the actual power savings would be (Every little bit helps)

Kev

If you get a charging inverter that has a fixed 70 amp charge rate, be aware that that will reduce the generators output ability when the charger is at the 70 amp rate and may cause it not to be able to operate some appliances like the ac unit. Just something to think about. The inverter charger I use has a adjustable charge rate via dip switches.

Got it on Amazon. The Amazon price is now $149, and MSRP is shown as $169 on the AIMS website.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TI1D5JK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Kevin:
The specs aren't all I could wish for. The idle current is a rather high 1.2A, and the transfer switch is rated at only 10A, despite the 20A surge rating. And the unit has to be switched on for the pass-through mode to work, so the inverter is idling even though you are using shore power. I will probably install a second manual bypass switch so I can shut it off completely for long term stays on shore power. I will use it exclusively to power a residential fridge, so not a big deal. My coach was a 2500W MSW "whole house" inverter as well, but I want the fridge compressor to have optimum power for best cooling and compressor life.

You can view specs, manual, etc. at http://www.aimscorp.net/1200-Watt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-with-Built-In-Transfer.html

It was actually member Supermanotorious that found the bargain AIMS inverter, but I bought one too. He has done some testing with it - more info info in his thread at:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,91264.msg824526.html#msg824526

Yes, I will start a thread on my residential conversion before too long. Pictures, etc.  Will probably start removing the Norcold next week, and I'm getting the inverter stuff together right now. I need to snap some "before" pictures and then chronicle progress along the way.

Gary,

Looked at this same inverter last night - also for a residential refrigerator - I saw the 10A transfer switch, but did not realize it had a 1.2 Amp idle draw, so, I am curious to see how you wire a manual bypass in for the longer stays on shorepower, or even on generator power.

Also am interested in you conversion process - plan to do mine next year, building my plan and maybe gathering parts now.

TIA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom