EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: PCs in RVs?  (Read 9533 times)

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
PCs in RVs?
« on: February 10, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »
Do any of you use desktops in your RVs? How do they hold up? We have one laptop and its a little cheapy one that I got a few years ago mainly for recreational use while traveling or sitting out on my deck. However we are planning on working remote while traveling in an RV, so I was thinking I might need a bigger more powerful toy... errr.... I mean... worker laptop. One that can handle the workload required. My DH says that we should be able to keep our PCs and use them in the RV. His is pretty new, mine is a couple years old.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: PCs in RVs?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
There are several forum members that use PCs in their RVs. But there are laptops that are just as powerful as desktops with the advantage of not taking up so much space, using so much electricity and being able to be run on batteries for the times when there is no power available.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
Yeah, what SeilerBird said. Not sure why you'd want a tower (or why anyone would) these days.

I replaced my laptop with a Lenovo all-in-one that lives on my table. I learned the hard way that that has to be seriously tied down when I move, but I used to just leave my laptop (built in rubber feet) sitting on the table.

The PC's not the issue you need to be concerned about, though. It's your internet connection that you need to plan ahead for. If you need to work, don't even bother relying on park wifi. If you're on the west coast, you'll need a Verizon jetpack, then you gotta shop for the best data deal you can get. (I can hook you up with my guy, if you want - unlimited [no throttling] data for $120 month. And no, I don't get kickbacks.)
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
Almost six years ago, when we started out, I had to take my desktop, laser printer, etc. I had room if I made room.

The laser printer was donated at the first overnight stop, the desktop superseded some time later. There just isn't the room to keep kicking one around in a coach, although they will travel well if secured and padded.

When you are starting out, you don't know what works best, so you take all the "stuff" you think you need. You'll adapt quite quickly to what you really need.

We carry both ATT and Verizon hotspots because if you want service everywhere, you have to pay to play. Never been stopped anywhere where one or the other would not pull enough signal to get what I need in 25 states. Your mileage may vary as will your usage.  8)

Kim
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:24:47 PM »
I used a mini-tower for several years till I left it on when changing sites and took out the hard drive, and the back up drive and frankly it was getting rather long in the tooth anyway since I got it in 2002, and did not get the RV till 2005 and this was like 2012. (10 years is pushing it for a computer).. I now have a desktop mounted sideways.  I make sure I turn it OFF when packing. to move.. I Turn off power to it) I may eventually replace the mini-HD in it (My mini I mean not very big) With an SSD in which case I will let it run.. or I may upgrade it.

I also have two laptops. One has traveled,he other only around town since I bought it after the Motor blew.  It too has a mini-drive (But it meets my needs) the "Big" one is 3 years old same as the desktop (it has a Maxi drive half a Terrabyte)

There are some laptops that tend to survive better but it has been a while since I read the article and I'm sure it is dated.  PC Mag tests them for "Rugged" from time to time.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
We're not fulltimers and we no longer work but we've traveled for months at a time for many years and both carry our laptops.  In addition we have a small printer that fits in a pull-out drawer as well as a thin scanner that stores in a drawer.  Even with smaller laptops, it's amazing how many cables, thumb drives and such that we carry.  What's even more amazing is how often they get used.  Also, you'll want a couple of different ways to connect.  We can use campground wifi but seldom do because our own hotspot usually works better.

Verizon tends to have the best coverage nationwide so we ditched our AT&T plan a few years ago.  We had both for a couple of years but decided Verizon was best, especially in the west.  There are still places where there is NO cell coverage so you might have to preplan stops if you need to be connected for work.  Because of that lack of cell coverage you'll also want a good GPS system for navigating such as Garmin.  Cell phone directions may work in big cities but there are a lot of places you can't use it because they're too remote or "just over the hill" that blocks the signal.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
So basically, you all are telling me I get a new toy...errr I mean .. .a new bigger more powerful laptop! Yesssss!!!!
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »
So basically, you all are telling me I get a new toy...errr I mean .. .a new bigger more powerful laptop! Yesssss!!!!
Actually my advise would be to get the cheapest laptop you can find. Even the cheapest ones do an awesome job. No need to spend more money than you need to.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »
We have three laptops and 4 desktops.  My favorite workhorses are my two Lenovos. I custom ordered both of them from B&H.  They have seen a lot of traveling and have been juggled around quite a bit.  They were not cheap, but I have found them to be durable and fast.  I have never had to call Lenovo.

I would not choose a cheap disposable laptop.  When I was in the banking industry they furnished me with cheap Dell laptops.  I traveled from office to office with the laptops and went through a laptop every six to nine months. The other bank I worked for furnished HPs.  A little better but I still needed a new laptop every two years.  I spent a lot of time on the phone with Tech departments.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:41:32 PM by MN Blue Skies »
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »
The computer industry has changed radically in the last few years. A cheap laptop is now a viable item.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »
Desktops are made for houses and offices since they do take lots of space and need electricity to work.
Laptops are used for their maneouvrability and they can work on their own battery for hours and they can be as powerfull as any desktop.
In the 70's, I started with a Commodore 64, then went to 2 desktops in the 80's and since the 90's, we have laptops.
Today, while traveling 6 months a year in our motorhome, we bring along our 3 laptops, one is used as a spare; they all run on WINDOWS 10 and share our WI-FI network with a WI-FI printer.
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

jdq1986

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
The computer industry has changed radically in the last few years. A cheap laptop is now a viable item.

They certainly are.  There are however limitations to them, and certain situations that may necessitate an upgraded model.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »
I'll be the odd man out here. I custom built a computer desk for our coach, adjacent to my recliner, so the chair doubles as reading room and computer station. I have a full fledged tower (that I also built) with a nice 23" display and an HP All-in-one printer. Never had any difficulties with it and we live 4-6 months each year in the coach. I've used desktops in the RV since 2004, but I also carry a laptop cause sometimes portability is nice. Plus a couple tablets and a smart phone too.

I should add that I create a lot of content as well as consume (view it), spend several hours daily online, work a fair amount with maps, and otherwise am a rather heavy user. For me, even a 17" laptop is a small screen, and I can build a powerful tower machine for about 1/4-1/3 what a smoking laptop would cost. The recent model, inexpensive ($259) laptop I carry is a dog compared to the tower system, and only a 15" display.

You need have no fear of using a desktop or tower machine in an RV, if that best suits your wants & needs.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 08:12:58 PM »
Hello folks,

+1 for Lenovo (ThinkPad) laptops. We have 2, the older from 2007 but with a lot of life to it still, and another "brand new" from 2012. They both just keep chugging along and doing a great job. Can't speak well enough of them.

Cheers,
--
    Vall.

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
I use a couple of ASUS laptops.  What is more important to me is the display size.  I like to be able to see detail while sitting back and relaxing in a recliner.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »
Look into SFF computers.  (Small Form Factor).   Amazon is a good place to start.  Some of them are not much bigger than a book.

I have a Mac Mini (SFF) hooked up to our main TV screen.  Not the best computer display but it works OK for what I use it for.

We also travel with a Dell laptop (a high end quad core with a good display card), a MacBook Air, two iPads, and two other very small computers. (About the size of a pack of cigarettes)
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »
I use an iMac as my primary computer and before that a small format Dell desktop. Both are off when driving, but I also have a very small Asus that runs Silverleaf and Streets and Trips while  driving. The Asus uses a 12 inch touchscreen monitor attached to a pole mount swing arm just to the  left of the steering wheel. No issues using it while driving. Probably has 20k miles using this computer.
Ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Relee52

• ---
  • On to the blue highways
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »
No one has mentioned Apple desktops that have no tower...the light weight  monitor and CPU are integrated and I plan to take mine along when we hit the road. I've had towers and large monitors, all heavy and large. I'm sticking with Apple.
Robert and Carol Lee
2016 Forest River Surveyor 265RLDS

2013 GMC Sierra Denali with 6.6L Duramax Diesel and tow package

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 05:31:04 AM »
I can build a powerful tower machine for about 1/4-1/3 what a smoking laptop would cost.
That might have been true five to ten years ago but not today. Here is a smoking laptop with an Intel dual core, 4 gig of ram, 1tb hard drive, 17 inch screen and all the bells and whistles for $400.

http://www.amazon.com/Hp-Pavilion-Laptop-Memory-Silver/dp/B018DZD55A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455189945&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A7817234011

Just Windows alone will be 1/4th the cost. Then you have to buy a tower, power supply, motherboard, memory, monitor, hard drive, optical drive, keyboard, mouse, camera and other little goodies. I doubt you could build one for less than the price of the smoking laptop. I used to build my own computers too until it became a dumb idea since a laptop is already assembled and works just as good.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

TravlinOn

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 06:30:04 AM »
I love my tower at home, but I take a laptop on my trips for the same reasons as stated above, but ALSO because on trips to the Georgia/NC/Tenn mountains I have sometimes had to put the computer in my truck and travel to a nearby town in order to get Verizon or any other coverage.  Didn't do it everyday, but hard to go without checking emails every once in awhile.
2015 F350 SuperDuty, Diesel, 4x4, Dually, LB, MORryde Pin Box, Reese Elite
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 07:51:11 AM »
That might have been true five to ten years ago but not today. Here is a smoking laptop with an Intel dual core, 4 gig of ram, 1tb hard drive, 17 inch screen and all the bells and whistles for $400.

http://www.amazon.com/Hp-Pavilion-Laptop-Memory-Silver/dp/B018DZD55A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455189945&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A7817234011

Just Windows alone will be 1/4th the cost. Then you have to buy a tower, power supply, motherboard, memory, monitor, hard drive, optical drive, keyboard, mouse, camera and other little goodies. I doubt you could build one for less than the price of the smoking laptop. I used to build my own computers too until it became a dumb idea since a laptop is already assembled and works just as good.

That, to me, would be of moderate performance, Tom. And it's original price is $700, not $400 -- it looks like a clearance sale to me. An I5 isn't "smoking." To me, "smoking" is a machine that will run Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3d at 30 fps in most areas, even with many add-ons to the program. I don't know of ANY laptop that would run P3D as smoothly as my 5 year old desktop from Digital Storm. I also do video editing on this machine, which also needs a lot of power.

In other words, so much depends on the intended use. You don't need "smoking" for web browsing, word processing, etc. and the machine you linked to is good for a lot of things, but "smoking" it's not.  So Gary's right in many ways, depending on your needs.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 08:45:06 AM »
That, to me, would be of moderate performance, Tom. And it's original price is $700, not $400 -- it looks like a clearance sale to me. An I5 isn't "smoking." To me, "smoking" is a machine that will run Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3d at 30 fps in most areas, even with many add-ons to the program. I don't know of ANY laptop that would run P3D as smoothly as my 5 year old desktop from Digital Storm. I also do video editing on this machine, which also needs a lot of power.

In other words, so much depends on the intended use. You don't need "smoking" for web browsing, word processing, etc. and the machine you linked to is good for a lot of things, but "smoking" it's not.  So Gary's right in many ways, depending on your needs.
That is not a clearance sale price, it is the price Amazon normally sells the laptop for. No one sells at list price. But let's go ahead and use $700 that gives you $350. Please list the components you would buy to build a complete desktop system that would be much better than this laptop
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 09:38:37 AM »
Seilerbird is somewhat correct in that I cannot build that "smoker" from scratch for 1/3 the price of the laptop, even though the one he cited is hardly a "smoker" (1.7GHz, even in an I5, ain't real hot). However, I rarely build from scratch.  My coach PC is in a 10 year old case and I update various components piecemeal from time to time. The display, high performance disks (I use solid state type) and windows license generally last a couple-three generations of processor and motherboard. It's currently an 8-core, 3.7 Ghz processor with a highly capable motherboard and super-fast memory. And the display is head & shoulders superior to the low power ones used in low-moderately priced laptops,

Granted, this approach is not best for everybody. I was merely addressing the question of using a desktop/tower PC in an RV. There is no reason not to do so, if that's what best suits your wants and needs.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:42:39 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »
That is not a clearance sale price, it is the price Amazon normally sells the laptop for. No one sells at list price. But let's go ahead and use $700 that gives you $350. Please list the components you would buy to build a complete desktop system that would be much better than this laptop

Tom, my current desktop has two 1 TB hard disks, plus one that is 2 TB. It has 12GB RAM, an I7 (3.2 GHZ) quad core processor and a GTX 970 video card (recently updated from a 570), along with a 27" 1920x1080 monitor.

Without the monitor, it was around $2500 5 years ago. If I got one today, it'd be with the updated processor and motherboard and memory, but otherwise about the same, probably from Digital Storm again. Of course I have a laptop only slightly better than you linked to for use on the road, and it's more than adequate for that.

There's not really any need to continue this, as I think my point about "smoking" is made, and what to get is so much dependent on the needs of the user, and Gary certainly makes some good points, too. Certainly it's true that few people need the capabilities I have, nor do I think they need to get a "smoker." I just think we need to be careful with the terminology we use.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
Its good to know we wont have to dump our PCs. Changing over is a hassle. But I am like Tim the toolman when it comes to gadgets. I do like my gadgets. Im looking for a good way to move things to the cloud just to make it easier when we have to eventually switch. But thats a different thread. It would be nice to be able to walk into a public library or internet cafe somewhere and get to my stuff. Not that I would make a practice of doing that, but sometimes things happen and that would be an option in a pinch. 
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

legrandnormand

• ---
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »
Its good to know we wont have to dump our PCs. Changing over is a hassle. But I am like Tim the toolman when it comes to gadgets. I do like my gadgets. Im looking for a good way to move things to the cloud just to make it easier when we have to eventually switch. But thats a different thread. It would be nice to be able to walk into a public library or internet cafe somewhere and get to my stuff. Not that I would make a practice of doing that, but sometimes things happen and that would be an option in a pinch.
... and the best way to get hacked using an opened and unprotected WI-FI !  8)
Normand
2009 Smart Cabriolet

Tom/Barb

• ---
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
We carry our MAC, when we go long distance/time. no problems, we have our own wifi hot spot off our phone. be prepared for huge data usage.
What you read from me, is only an opinion

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
On this trip (we left home Dec 1) I brought the PC from home. I play an online hunting game for relaxation (theHunter.com) and it is a resource gobbler. Our plans were to be gone for 3-1/2 months and I didn't want to not be able to play. To get the best out of the game, I have 32G of RAM, a Nividia GTX 930 video card, Gigabyte G1 gaming motherboard, and a quad core processor. I use a 10 year old Dell 24" 1920 x 1200 display. I have a wifi extender antenna, a Logitech G930 wireless headset, and a 1 TB portable drive attached.

Its easy to take down (I store the tower under the kitchen table with the chairs on each side butting up against it) and put back together when we move. It's far better (IMHO) than a laptop at any price. It's custom made for what I want to do.

I haven't had any problems with it traveling.
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
That, to me, would be of moderate performance, Tom.

I agree with Larry.  The specs on that laptop are not considered smoking in my world.  It would be a considerable step backwards in technology compared to what I need and currently have.
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
For my son's combined 18th birthday and graduation gift, I let him build his own computer just for himself and I paid for it. It had a whopping 1 full gig of RAM. His friends were all impressed. My how things have changed.  ;D
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
For my son's combined 18th birthday and graduation gift, I let him build his own computer just for himself and I paid for it. It had a whopping 1 full gig of RAM. His friends were all impressed. My how things have changed.  ;D

You don't say what year. My first computer came with 16K of RAM -- yes K, not M or G. I later filled it up to 48K (all it could address). It was a TRS-80 that I got in 1978. Yes indeed, times have changed -- a LOT.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
The wife has two lap tops.  A 17" and a 11".  I have an iMac.  Initially a 24" and now a 27".  I do all my computing on the big Mac unless we're just stopped at a rest area.  We also watch movies on the 27".  Great picture and sound isn't bad.  We also carry an all-in-one printer.  They take a lot of space but everything fits in the cupboards except my big iMac.  I built a foam case for it and we just put it on the floor when we travel.  So far in 50,000 miles of traveling, we have not had any problems.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 07:03:58 PM »

LOL.... Carol... Indeed things have changed. A scratch build up in the old days gave you bragging rights. Now, for the vast majority of average users it just doesn't make sense. The guts of a computer are actually quite simple. Knowing what components to add for your usage are a different story, and a custom build up is expensive.
Gary's custom build of a power box makes sense - his vast research and data storage is beyond the average user.
I work remotely from the RV and need a better than average computer, but still my needs are not "power user" category. MS office, e-mail and web, but a dual monitor is a must. (I work with pdf contracts all day long).
As with most products, somewhere between "bargain budget" and "smoking" fits most of our needs.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
Bob,  off topic but are you in Mpls. now?

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 09:05:48 PM »
Surface tablet with keyboard.  Compact and Windows 10.  Same as a desktop unless you are doing some seriouis 3D or video editing work.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:23 PM »
TCRLS, which surface tablet do you have?  Will it handle serious editing of raw images.  (Full versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, and other editing software?)

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 12:38:50 AM »
I have the Surface 3.  I'm not sure how that software would work.  The below article might provide you some answers.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/reviews/creative-hardware/microsoft-surface-pro-3-for-photoshop-lightroom-review/

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:08 AM »
Thanks TCRLS,

Thanks for the link.  We've been thinking about getting a tablet and the Surface Pro 3 is on our short list.  While we've been thinking several other powerful tablets have been been introduced.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
Bob,  off topic but are you in Mpls. now?

Yes Max!
But not for long. Heading warm in just a few days.
Are you still in the Twin Cities?

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

bud01234

• ---
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
You don't say what year. My first computer came with 16K of RAM -- yes K, not M or G. I later filled it up to 48K (all it could address). It was a TRS-80 that I got in 1978. Yes indeed, times have changed -- a LOT.

Now you're bringing back memories.

I bought a Model I TRS-80 with 4K memory and a cassette player for I/o back in the late 70's.  I was a 1st year teacher and wrote a BASIC program that would actually run in the 4K of memory it had and used it for my remedial reading class.  It would do the current 10-question quiz and if a question was correct, would kick on the cassette player with my echoing voice booming "Great Job!" or, "UH OH" if wrong. (I had a buddy who had some neat sound editing equipment)

Kids loved it and I eventually licensed it to a company in NY called Educational Activities and got royalty checks for 5 years for it. (about $500 per year on average). 

The instructions included how to load the program and type in new questions and answers then save the program back to tape before using for the days quiz.  LOL

Times have REALLY changed.   8)

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 12:28:11 PM »
We have an I Mac with no problems during the six months a year we travel.  We unplug it and put it on the bed when traveling. No problems, we also have two HP laptops and a MacBook Air. We carry a printer as we do some work during the travels.  The wi-fi is probably the biggest problem.  We tend to look for a site next to the campground towers, but quality varies from one campground to the next.  When trouble we hotspot with our cellphone $$$$$
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »
Mine stays connected all the time, though powered off. Our inverter is always on, so the PC has power available and I may boot it up during a lunch stop, or if we want to consult a big map pr do some extensive searching. The big screen makes it so much easier than doing the same on a phone or tablet.

My 71 year-old eyes love that BIG screen!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 04:09:38 PM »
My 71 year-old eyes love that BIG screen!

I have an Intel Compute Stick plugged into our 50" TV, You'd love that screen :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »
Thanks TCRLS,

Thanks for the link.  We've been thinking about getting a tablet and the Surface Pro 3 is on our short list.  While we've been thinking several other powerful tablets have been been introduced.

We had an Android tablet prior to this one and this Windows based tablet is so much better in terms of usability. 

T

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
Wait until you see the prices of surface tablets.  They make iPads look reasonable.   :o

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »
We didn't notice any huge difference between the two and I find the Win tablet so much better than the Apple products IMHO.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
I work with a Surface Pro 3 with an extra monitor. Very happy with it.

--Gary RV Roamer--

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
The ones I was looking at started at nearly $1800.  Personally I'd look at other brands of Windows tablets before I spent that much.  Or a convertible laptop.

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
Wow.  Where did you look?  I paid $650 plus $100 for the keyboard CDN.  That is significantly cheaper than an iPad.

T

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2016, 01:11:02 AM »
Lol.  Core i7 with 256GB HD 16GB RAM.  iPad doesn't even offer a 256GB tablet.

If you want to compare apples to apples :) the Surface tablet with 128GB HD is $799.  The iPad with 128GB HD is $1249.

T

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:13:20 AM by TCRLS »

Tom_M

• ---
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2016, 06:44:15 AM »
Tom
2005 Born Free 24 Rear bath

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »
There you go.  It gets decent reviews too for a budget tablet.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
Lol.  Core i7 with 256GB HD 16GB RAM.  iPad doesn't even offer a 256GB tablet.

If you want to compare apples to apples :) the Surface tablet with 128GB HD is $799.  The iPad with 128GB HD is $1249.

T

I was not offering a comparison.  Nor am I an Apple fanboy, even though we have a bunch of them.  Nor a fanboy of any other particular hardware/OS.  Whatever gets the job done.

My favorite toy right now is a $64 (complete system) Raspberry Pi running Linux and OpenELEC.

TCRLS

• ---
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »
I wasn't drawing anyone a fanboy.  It was in response to your comment that Surface tablet prices were so high they made iPads look reasonable.  I was merely showing that isn't the case when compared side by side.

Each to their own.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2016, 10:46:40 AM »
MuddyPaws,  I think you were pricing one of the Surface Pro 4s.   Anyhow I think we might have wandered off the OPs question a little. 

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »
Anyhow I think we might have wandered off the OPs question a little.

Its ok, my question was answered a long time ago. The rest has just been added information. :)
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
Another thing to consider before selecting a tablet is it's repairability.  iPad and Surface tablets are notoriously difficult and expensive to repair.  Replacing the battery in an iPad runs about $75 just for labor (last time I looked). Crack the screen and you can count on several hundred bucks flying out of your wallet.  On the other hand they are remarkably tough.  I've dropped my iPad onto tile flooring from counter height more than once and it's still working.  The MacBook Air is as solid as a brick!  I won't even guess how many times my DW has dropped it.  The two most common problems with tablets are cracked screens and water damage. 

A good source for repairability scores is www.ifixit.com.  They also have step by step instructions, tools etc.

Looking at it from that direction perhaps a desktop (even an SFF) with external display/keyboard/mouse is superior.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 04:18:49 PM »
In the 70's, I started with a Commodore 64,

I was starting to think I was the only former Commodore 64 user left!
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
I was starting to think I was the only former Commodore 64 user left!

I'm old enough,  but I had an Atari 800XL. It was a better computer,  just didn't have the marketing the Commodore had.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
...and then there was the VIC20. (Corrected)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:47:33 AM by bobsharon »
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

legrandnormand

• ---
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
...and then there was the VIC21.

... VIC 20 was before the VIC 64
Normand
2009 Smart Cabriolet

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
...and then there was the VIC20. (Corrected)
Thank goodness -- I wondered about a VIC21, thought maybe I'd missed something back then.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

GRRV

• ---
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »
In an RV, I'd definitely suggest the laptop.  For me, I use my iPhone and iPad, and that's all I really need.  But I do bring a laptop sometimes.  You could add a USB hard drive, connected to a wireless router for tons of storage, and basically make the desktop unecessary.

If you really like the idea of a desktop, maybe check out a powerful all in one computer or iMac.  Those are pretty self contained, and could be much more manageable in an RV than a desktop. Imagining the rats nest of wires behind my system in an RV gives me the cold sweats.

Look for the simplest option that fits your needs.  Laptops can handle even current gaming loads, if you shop smartly.

Tom_M

• ---
Tom
2005 Born Free 24 Rear bath

blw2

• ---
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
maybe I missed it, but I can't believe nobody suggested Chromebook yet. Mine is a toshiba.

I bought one over a year ago and love it.  Supper fast, great battery life, everything syncs well (chrome on a PC or mac in other locations, phones, other chromebooks), no slowdown with age like you get with mac or pc... and they are super cheap.

Unless you're doing something that requires some proprietary specialty software, it'll do almost everything most folks need to do
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
í13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
Renae uses an IPad Pro  It has a big screen, is connected everywhere we have Verizon, has a great camera, does Facetime with the grandbabies, and she has no need for a traditional computer.

It is a little pricy at $1,100,  but you can take it with you unlike the usual reference of "You can't take it with you" referring to money when your gone.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:31:06 AM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »
maybe I missed it, but I can't believe nobody suggested Chromebook yet. Mine is a toshiba.

I bought one over a year ago and love it.  Supper fast, great battery life, everything syncs well (chrome on a PC or mac in other locations, phones, other chromebooks), no slowdown with age like you get with mac or pc... and they are super cheap.

Unless you're doing something that requires some proprietary specialty software, it'll do almost everything most folks need to do

If you're talking browsing/email, or maybe some "cloud" stuff, yes. If you're talking about doing things off-line, then not likely. I suspect no one mentioned Chromebook because the OP began with a question about desktops.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
I did not bring up Chromebooks because of all the negative remarks that are made by the uneducated on this forum every time the subject comes up. I have been using a Chromebook for the last four years and I really hate it when I have to dig out my Windows laptop and return to the 20th Century. There is very little that cannot be done on a Chromebook.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Jeff in Minnesota

• ---
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
My favorite workhorses are my two Lenovos.  They were not cheap, but I have found them to be durable and fast.

MN Blue Skies - 100% agree. The Lenovo/Thinkpad. Most durable laptop I have ever used over the years. Even the older models just kept working and working and found that my 7 year old Lenovo using 3g cell modem was faster than my new HP.

Huh! Sounds like we could of worked/work for the same banks from your description of laptops provided.  8)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
...and I really hate it when I have to dig out my Windows laptop and return to the 20th Century. There is very little that cannot be done on a Chromebook.

**Above highlighting is mine**

The fact that a dedicated Chromebook fan like yourself still finds the occasional need for a Windows PC speaks volumes, I think. A Chromebook is a good tool, but not necessarily a universal one.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »
As I posted a few minutes ago, I was thinking it really is much easier to use the IPad Pro for the things I do most, email, this and other forums, and simple games.

So.. I just ordered the newest IPad Pro for me.  The release date is Thursday the 31st and mine will be here at the Hospital in South Carolina on Thursday.

256 Gigs on  the new release.  My first portable, ( I called it a sewing maching based on looks ) was a Compaq fold down keyboard with an optional 10 MEG hard drive for $1,000 extra in the early 80s.  MY things have changed
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2016, 12:21:47 PM »
ArdraF, one way to get around the loss of signal on the regular gps map programs is to use a program like CoPiolet. You can down load the maps ahead of time so you don't need or use data. I use it on my phone and on a tablet.
I like all the fancy computers, Larry, I donít have to run any Lockheed programs any more. I get by with my little HP laptop.
Just a word of warning to any one traveling near the Canadian border. You can pick up a Canadian tower and not know it.  If you donít have a data plan that includes Canada, you will get a shock when you get your bill. When I was in East Port Main this last summer there was a camper who did that and had a really big bill. Did you know they sell data by the meg not the gig.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

blw2

• ---
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »
**Above highlighting is mine**

The fact that a dedicated Chromebook fan like yourself still finds the occasional need for a Windows PC speaks volumes, I think. A Chromebook is a good tool, but not necessarily a universal one.
yeah, true enough not completely universal....

but for what I would call an average user it's just about as good as it gets.(browsing, email, simple documents, spreadsheets, light duty pdf file stuff, printing, organizing photos, to do lists, finding my wife's lost cell phone....)

I use a PC at work, but that's just because that's what the IT group gives me.... and they are running some internal network stuff and some specialized software, multiple huge monitors, etc...

At home, the only thing I have found in about a year and a half that can't be done on Chromebook is my son's minecraft game.... & I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that it's owned by Microsoft.

oh wait, there is one thing.... I have a Mac Mini running as a print server at home, only because my printer is an old boat anchor that isn't cloud independent.  Once in a while I use it for some simple email a=or browsing stuff when I'm in the home office, just because its there and running... but ugh, how slow it is.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
'06 Silverado
former tent campers

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »

No one has ever claimed that a Chromebook is a universal computer, just like a smart phone is not a universal computer. However the 8 second boot time, all day battery, the impossibility of getting a virus or malware,  extremely light weight and dirt cheap cost make it the idea computer for me.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

blw2

• ---
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
Tom
Which chromebook do you use?  I have a toshiba chromebook 2, but it's an earlier model than they have out now.
DW has a couple of 10 inch ASUS chromebooks, the ones with touch screens that flip all the way over for use as a tablet.  They're very nice too, but I find them a bit small for my liking, and I have no use for the touch screen and flip over.  I like the feel of the metal chassis, but honestly my lighter plastic chassis is prob better to carry around.
Kids have a 13 inch asus.  I like it
but I like my toshiba keyboard better... just wish it was backlit like the newer one.

Oh, and I set my dad up with an HP Chromebase.  He's not very computer savvy at 79, but I think he like it much more than his old Dell PC.  It's much easier to use and fast compared to what he had.  He's enjoying youtube.  I wish that  I'd gotten him a book instead of the base, but at the time I was trying to avoid wifi and do everything wireless.  He doesn't need the portability
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
'06 Silverado
former tent campers

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
Brad - I have a 13.3 inch Asus that cost me $169. I have had it for a year and a half and it still works perfectly. This is my third Chromebook in the last four years. Usually after about a year I have thrashed the keyboard on my laptops and have to upgrade. So I am on borrowed time with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C300MA-Intel-Celeron-Black/dp/B00KD5SEPK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Every time I wanted to upgrade my Chromebook I have been able to sell the used one for almost as much as I paid for it and then I replace it with one that is cheaper. In July of 2012 I bought an 11.6 inch Acer for $239 and sold it a year later for $229. Then I bought a 14 inch HP for $208 and sold it a year later for $199. I then replaced it with my current Asus.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
One thing I notice is how most people will assume that you HAVE to squint at a 13" screen when you buy a 13" laptop. You don't. Most laptops today will have HDMI output and all will have USB ports.

Buy a large monitor, a USB mouse, and a USB keyboard. When you use your computer at "home", plug these in. It will be like sitting at a "desktop" computer.

When you want to go to the coffee shop, unplug and take the laptop. All your files and such will be there for you.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

Jeff in Minnesota

• ---
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »
  My first portable, ( I called it a sewing maching based on looks ) was a Compaq fold down keyboard with an optional 10 MEG hard drive for $1,000 extra in the early 80s.  MY things have changed

I still have the specialty tool by Compaq to remove the power supply out of that sewing machine/suit case portable computer. I'm waiting for it to become valuable to sell on eBay.  8)

Irover

• ---
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »
Update: Price is now $99.98 and has Windows 10 installed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-Flexx-10.1-2-in-1-Tablet-2-32GB-Intel-Quad-Core-Windows-10/46664255

was in Walmart yesterday and this is still on sale! Three weeks back I bought an RCA tablet with W10; It has 2 Gb ram and 32Gb SSD. Paid $83.00 with tax. It is 10.1". Can be used with the keyboard or detached as tablet only!
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

Hosted by Over The Network