PCs in RVs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In an RV, I'd definitely suggest the laptop.  For me, I use my iPhone and iPad, and that's all I really need.  But I do bring a laptop sometimes.  You could add a USB hard drive, connected to a wireless router for tons of storage, and basically make the desktop unecessary.

If you really like the idea of a desktop, maybe check out a powerful all in one computer or iMac.  Those are pretty self contained, and could be much more manageable in an RV than a desktop. Imagining the rats nest of wires behind my system in an RV gives me the cold sweats.

Look for the simplest option that fits your needs.  Laptops can handle even current gaming loads, if you shop smartly.

maybe I missed it, but I can't believe nobody suggested Chromebook yet. Mine is a toshiba.

I bought one over a year ago and love it.  Supper fast, great battery life, everything syncs well (chrome on a PC or mac in other locations, phones, other chromebooks), no slowdown with age like you get with mac or pc... and they are super cheap.

Unless you're doing something that requires some proprietary specialty software, it'll do almost everything most folks need to do

Renae uses an IPad Pro  It has a big screen, is connected everywhere we have Verizon, has a great camera, does Facetime with the grandbabies, and she has no need for a traditional computer.

It is a little pricy at $1,100,  but you can take it with you unlike the usual reference of "You can't take it with you" referring to money when your gone.

blw2 said:
maybe I missed it, but I can't believe nobody suggested Chromebook yet. Mine is a toshiba.

I bought one over a year ago and love it.  Supper fast, great battery life, everything syncs well (chrome on a PC or mac in other locations, phones, other chromebooks), no slowdown with age like you get with mac or pc... and they are super cheap.

Unless you're doing something that requires some proprietary specialty software, it'll do almost everything most folks need to do

If you're talking browsing/email, or maybe some "cloud" stuff, yes. If you're talking about doing things off-line, then not likely. I suspect no one mentioned Chromebook because the OP began with a question about desktops.

I did not bring up Chromebooks because of all the negative remarks that are made by the uneducated on this forum every time the subject comes up. I have been using a Chromebook for the last four years and I really hate it when I have to dig out my Windows laptop and return to the 20th Century. There is very little that cannot be done on a Chromebook.

MN Blue Skies said:
My favorite workhorses are my two Lenovos.  They were not cheap, but I have found them to be durable and fast.

MN Blue Skies - 100% agree. The Lenovo/Thinkpad. Most durable laptop I have ever used over the years. Even the older models just kept working and working and found that my 7 year old Lenovo using 3g cell modem was faster than my new HP.

Huh! Sounds like we could of worked/work for the same banks from your description of laptops provided.  8)

...and I really hate it when I have to dig out my Windows laptop and return to the 20th Century. There is very little that cannot be done on a Chromebook.

**Above highlighting is mine**

The fact that a dedicated Chromebook fan like yourself still finds the occasional need for a Windows PC speaks volumes, I think. A Chromebook is a good tool, but not necessarily a universal one.

As I posted a few minutes ago, I was thinking it really is much easier to use the IPad Pro for the things I do most, email, this and other forums, and simple games.

So.. I just ordered the newest IPad Pro for me.  The release date is Thursday the 31st and mine will be here at the Hospital in South Carolina on Thursday.

256 Gigs on  the new release.  My first portable, ( I called it a sewing maching based on looks ) was a Compaq fold down keyboard with an optional 10 MEG hard drive for $1,000 extra in the early 80s.  MY things have changed

ArdraF, one way to get around the loss of signal on the regular gps map programs is to use a program like CoPiolet. You can down load the maps ahead of time so you don't need or use data. I use it on my phone and on a tablet.
I like all the fancy computers, Larry, I don?t have to run any Lockheed programs any more. I get by with my little HP laptop.
Just a word of warning to any one traveling near the Canadian border. You can pick up a Canadian tower and not know it.  If you don?t have a data plan that includes Canada, you will get a shock when you get your bill. When I was in East Port Main this last summer there was a camper who did that and had a really big bill. Did you know they sell data by the meg not the gig.
Bill

Gary RV Roamer said:
**Above highlighting is mine**

The fact that a dedicated Chromebook fan like yourself still finds the occasional need for a Windows PC speaks volumes, I think. A Chromebook is a good tool, but not necessarily a universal one.
yeah, true enough not completely universal....

but for what I would call an average user it's just about as good as it gets.(browsing, email, simple documents, spreadsheets, light duty pdf file stuff, printing, organizing photos, to do lists, finding my wife's lost cell phone....)

I use a PC at work, but that's just because that's what the IT group gives me.... and they are running some internal network stuff and some specialized software, multiple huge monitors, etc...

At home, the only thing I have found in about a year and a half that can't be done on Chromebook is my son's minecraft game.... & I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that it's owned by Microsoft.

oh wait, there is one thing.... I have a Mac Mini running as a print server at home, only because my printer is an old boat anchor that isn't cloud independent.  Once in a while I use it for some simple email a=or browsing stuff when I'm in the home office, just because its there and running... but ugh, how slow it is.

Gary RV Roamer said:
No one has ever claimed that a Chromebook is a universal computer, just like a smart phone is not a universal computer. However the 8 second boot time, all day battery, the impossibility of getting a virus or malware,  extremely light weight and dirt cheap cost make it the idea computer for me.

Tom
Which chromebook do you use?  I have a toshiba chromebook 2, but it's an earlier model than they have out now.
DW has a couple of 10 inch ASUS chromebooks, the ones with touch screens that flip all the way over for use as a tablet.  They're very nice too, but I find them a bit small for my liking, and I have no use for the touch screen and flip over.  I like the feel of the metal chassis, but honestly my lighter plastic chassis is prob better to carry around.
Kids have a 13 inch asus.  I like it
but I like my toshiba keyboard better... just wish it was backlit like the newer one.

Oh, and I set my dad up with an HP Chromebase.  He's not very computer savvy at 79, but I think he like it much more than his old Dell PC.  It's much easier to use and fast compared to what he had.  He's enjoying youtube.  I wish that  I'd gotten him a book instead of the base, but at the time I was trying to avoid wifi and do everything wireless.  He doesn't need the portability

Brad - I have a 13.3 inch Asus that cost me $169. I have had it for a year and a half and it still works perfectly. This is my third Chromebook in the last four years. Usually after about a year I have thrashed the keyboard on my laptops and have to upgrade. So I am on borrowed time with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C300MA-Intel-Celeron-Black/dp/B00KD5SEPK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Every time I wanted to upgrade my Chromebook I have been able to sell the used one for almost as much as I paid for it and then I replace it with one that is cheaper. In July of 2012 I bought an 11.6 inch Acer for $239 and sold it a year later for $229. Then I bought a 14 inch HP for $208 and sold it a year later for $199. I then replaced it with my current Asus.

One thing I notice is how most people will assume that you HAVE to squint at a 13" screen when you buy a 13" laptop. You don't. Most laptops today will have HDMI output and all will have USB ports.

Buy a large monitor, a USB mouse, and a USB keyboard. When you use your computer at "home", plug these in. It will be like sitting at a "desktop" computer.

When you want to go to the coffee shop, unplug and take the laptop. All your files and such will be there for you.

HueyPilotVN said:
  My first portable, ( I called it a sewing maching based on looks ) was a Compaq fold down keyboard with an optional 10 MEG hard drive for $1,000 extra in the early 80s.  MY things have changed

I still have the specialty tool by Compaq to remove the power supply out of that sewing machine/suit case portable computer. I'm waiting for it to become valuable to sell on eBay.  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom