Jacks or No Jacks During Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptJeff

I store our 02 Dolphin in a large storage yard here in So. Cal.  I've noticed most rigs sit on their tires without benefit of jacks.  Is there a general rule about this?  Seems to me that jacks take a lot of pressure off tires.  What are the pro's & cons either way?
Thanks,
~CJ

I can't answer the technical questions but I store mine with the jacks down to the point of leveling the coach. 
They were that way all last winter and operated with no problems this past season.  We'll see what happens in the spring.

I'm of mixed emothions on jacks up or down.

Jacks down I'm worried about the jack "Stems" being exposed to the weather and rusting,,, However I've not seen evidence of this.

Jacks up puts the full weight of the rig on the tires.. Turns out Steel Belted Radials really do not like to sit for months at a time with the full weight of the rig on them,  (Driving is ok but sitting is not) so the tire folks suggest jacks down to take some of the load off.

Tires are expensive

John, like you I have mixed feelings about the subject, but I usually store the coach with jacks up. Since our coach sits in storage for several months at a time, I'm conscious that I'm probably shortening the life of my tires. This was emphasized again yesterday by a GoodYear rep talking at the Monaco rally; His perspective was that 'tires like/need to be rolling'.

Tom said:
John, like you I have mixed feelings about the subject, but I usually store the coach with jacks up. Since our coach sits in storage for several months at a time, I'm conscious that I'm probably shortening the life of my tires. This was emphasized again yesterday by a GoodYear rep talking at the Monaco rally; His perspective was that 'tires like/need to be rolling'.

Tom

Yeah the tires like to be rolling, but when they are in storage, they aren't, whether on or off jacks. As for shortening the life of the tires, most RVer tires age out rather than wear out.

BernieD said:
As for shortening the life of the tires, most RVer tires age out rather than wear out.

You're right Bernie, but I was suggesting that my practice of leaving the coach in storage with the jacks up might accelerate the aging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom