The Fun Continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeCoke

The other day on the way back from Home Depot I heard a POP then lots of popping I figured right away I had blown out a Spark plug. Pulled over and sure enough # 1 plug was no longer in it's hole.I was a few miles from where our Motorhome was parked so I removed the # 1 wire from the distributor and drove back Very noisy but made it back. Next day we moved to a lot in the Yuma Foot Hills area and will be here 2 weeks. Motorhome is parked in a lot with nothing but gravel which would make it hard to pull out the engine. I found 2 - 2'x8' sheets of 1/2 particle board that I placed under the engine and out the back so I could roll the engine out from under the Beetle. Got the engine out and took the tin off so I could pull the head. I then took it to Off-Road Buggy Supply here in Yuma. Richard ran a chase threw # 2 and fixed # 1. I took the tin to a car wash and power washed them. Tomorrow I will install the the head, all the tin and then put the engine back in the Beetle.  Next Thursday we take the Motorhome in to have the rear Sumo Springs installed.

Attachments

• PullingEngineYuma.jpg
    PullingEngineYuma.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 112
  • PullingEngine2.jpg
    PullingEngine2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6142.JPG
    IMG_6142.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6143.JPG
    IMG_6143.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6144.JPG
    IMG_6144.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 74
Mike,
    Raymonda would appreciate it if you would sent Gordon for a visit  We are located at 14770 E 49 Drive.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

MikeCoke said:
so I could roll the engine out from under the Beetle. Got the engine out and took the tin off
Eons ago when I was still in school living with my dad, fired up my 65 Bug to go to work. Very cold morning so I fortuitously decided to let it warm up for a few minutes. Went out to leave and there was a pool of oil under it. My dad figured the engine was a goner but I'd been working on VWs for a while and based on where it was leaking told him I thought the oil cooler was loose.

Pushed it back into the garage. Rolled a floor jack under it. 4 bolts, throttle cable, gas line and it was out. Resecured cooler with double nuts and drove away about an hour later.

Loved working on those things, made me feel like a real mechanic (which I'm not).

Sun2Retire said:
, gas line and it was out. Resecured cooler with double nuts and drove away about an hour later.

Loved working on those things, made me feel like a real mechanic (which I'm not).

Know what you mean. I was an auto mechanic out of high school and college. No money at the time working at a dealership. Went into a supervisor position in a totally different field. That led into a truck driving career.
I've never put down my tools. No way to guess on the amount of money I've saved over the years doing my own work.

If your good at something, don't ever throw it away.  :) 

Way to go Mike!  I'm the second owner of a completely original 1965 VW Bug, I took it off the road about 10 years ago and put it in covered storage when the engine developed a main bearing knock.

I can't wait until I retire and have the time to tear into it.

This brings back memories. My buddy's dad had a small excavating business, he ran VW trucks and Ford backhoes. He was forever breaking both so Brian and I were the mechanics. We could pull the engine out of a truck tear it down and have it redone and back in the truck in an afternoon.

denmarc said:
I was an auto mechanic out of high school ...

RoyM said:
He was forever breaking both so Brian and I were the mechanics.

Oops, my bad! But I see that I am not the only one who still see themselves as an old "mechanic". I forgot they prefer to be called technicians now.

Times have sure changed.

When we first were married 50 some odd years ago, we had a bug that had over 100,000 miles on it. I decided to put a rebuilt engine in it. Jacked it up, disconnected everything and slid under it on a creeper. I pulled the engine back and lowered i down on my chest. Then I couldn't get the cheaper to roll backwards on the garage floor so Laurie had to get the neighbor to come over and they took a hold of my feet and pulled me out from under the VW with the engine on my chest. I put the rebuilt back in in just the reverse manner. Did the whole job one night after work.

I'm an airhead too. You can replace a clutch with a handful of wrenches, screw drivers, a vice grip a bottle jack and a skateboard. I actually have a complete engine stored in one of my basement bays. The cooling tin and carbs are removed so it will fit. I'm waiting for the right Beetle to fall into my lap, a roller with a blown engine, for short money. My engine is far from stock, estimated by desktop dyno to be 170-180 HP. Yes it's a hoot to drive with three times the original HP! DW likens it to an amusement park ride!

Bill

Reminds me of the story my Mother told of growing up in a large (Typical "Catholic") Family.. They had two Model T cars, 3 Engines and a garage that used to be an Ice House with a Gantry hoist that ran the length of the building.

They had one engine on the bench, all ready to go.  When one of them had engine trouble, they would hoist the engine out, slide the hoist down to the bench, hoist the working engine off the bench back to the car, and install it.

Then restore the non working engine on the bench..

Made it quick to get 'em back on the road.

I liked working on my VW bus.  Engine was easy to get at.

Attachments

• Bus in Yearbook.jpg
    Bus in Yearbook.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back