Cancer support, resources thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It amazes me how many are living with these different cancers. I didn't know anything about it until a few months ago when my wife was diagnosed.  As I sit here listening to her snoring while getting her chemo, thanking the LORD I can still be with her.  I'll be sending prayers for each and every one here, as I'm sure the many prayers she has received has helped. She is very positive she is going to be OK. I worry a lot, because I listen to the DRs.  She only hears what she wants.

Thanks for all the prayers everyone.
Charlie

John Hilley said:
This thread has reallly been interesting and informative. It may save some lives.
You are so right John!  When I doing my research on PCa I found a great site, HealingWell, that has many sub-boards for a variety of maladies and one of those sub-boards is for prostate cancer.  It's very active with a few highly educated folks there that provide some excellent and accurate advice.

My PSA started up in 1994.  Everyone wanted to tear out the prostate or poke holes in it.  I elected what is called "watch and wait."  About '96 it started to go up faster.  Urologist turned it over to VA in Tucson.  They did a great job in lowering it with easy hormones. Am now in Maine and using the New England Cancer Center.  PSA started up again.  Several scans showed the cancer is still in the prostate.  Am now on 1000 mg of Zytiga, 5mg of Prednisone, an 50 mg Bicalutamide.  The Zytiga is 4 big pills at one time at a Medicare, tricare an me at $ 70 a pill.  It's a chemo but has few side effects.  Lack of energy etc.  But I am 84 and not hurting yet.  Am sure it will come. 

This thread is a real reality check.  Neither the DW or I have any history of cancer in our family.  That was until about 2 years ago when her sister was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Family history is not a guarantee that cancer may just show up one day.

My wife was just saying how lucky we are to get to our age without some of the cancer others have had. Cancer runs in my family, one sister born with it, mother died from it. Wife's sister had breast cancer in 40's. My prostate cancer compared to others was just an inconvenience and not much of that as we spent the entire 6 weeks of treatment in AZ with treatment only taking 1/2 hour out of the day.

Just a quick update on the latest stage of my lung cancer.  As a Northern California Kaiser patient I am somewhat limited to the locations where I can receive my treatment.  In as much as I travel to Columbia,South Carolina to visit friends I was able to locate a Kaiser facility in Atlanta,GA some 300 miles away but worth the trip.  The doctor there did stretch my treatment out to 4 weeks rather than 3 which makes it a little easier.  The week of treatment still puts me out of sorts with lack of appetite and the blaze.  I did end up in the E.R. with Atrial Fibrillation requiring a pace maker.

The bottom line is that although this evil has slowed me down I am going down swinging and have purchased a little Sightseer and have signed up for a caravan to Nashville/Branson in May of 2017 I am also taking the family on a cruise to Alaska next month.  With any luck I may make the 2017 GNR, would be nice to visit again where I was able to carry the CA state flag as president in 1999.

So to all of us survivors may God shed his grace upon us.

Don  Grimes, WIT 70041

It is hard to find anyone who has not been touched by cancer. There is a history in my wife's family, unfortunately being adopted I know little of mine. Shortly after we married in 2010 she came down with what we believed to be Norwalk virus and was one sick puppy. She recovered somewhat so against my better judgement we proceeded with a planned holiday in Palm Springs. She became ill again after we returned, a persistent doctor found a cancerous kidney which was removed. It was a difficult surgery.
Fast forward to 2015. A ct scan showed the cancer had returned in her lung. After months of tests compounded by her other medical issues we are now waiting for an appointment for a wedge resection to determine if it is malignant. We are hoping for video assisted thoracic surgery which is the least invasive.
I am flat worn out. We live in a small community, our family doctor is 25 miles away, the cancer clinic 50. The travel and waiting in treatment centers seem endless. Provincial health insurance picks up some of the prescription cost but our deductible is still high. We can no longer leave the country as travel  insurance is not affordable. We are determined to make the best of it, enjoy life as much as we can and deal with the speed bumps as they appear. The rv is not getting nearly as much use as we would like. :(

We are very rural in ranch country and everything for us is a 50 mile round trip away.  Major shopping is a 150 mile round trip.  DW was in the hospital for several days earlier this year for a leg vein bypass so I was on the road every day visiting her - it does wear on you.

Our travel plans for last year (2015) were completely derailed due to my PCa, it was weird (not to mention uncomfortable due to the heat) being at our little ranch for the entire summer.  We are now in our usual place near Montrose, CO enjoying the weather and beautiful scenery; and we are really thankful we are healthy enough to travel.

Hi Folks,

Hang in there John and stay well! Same to others or their spouses with medical problems. I have wondered how Ned has been doing and haven't seen him on the forum for some time. My prayers!

Hi SargeW,

Thanks for letting me know. That is too bad. I always enjoyed Ned's posts and knowledge. One of the people who stood out here for me.

SargeW said:
Sorry to have to tell you Al, Ned passed at the end of June. We made an announcement on the Forum, but I guess it got by you.
OMG!  I did not know Ned passed!  DW and I wanted to visit with Ned and Lorna at their place in Spring Branch this year but we were dealing with our own health issues.  I was wondering why there were no more Caring Bridge entries but never investigated.

We first met Ned and Lorna in Alaska in 2006 (along with the Brewer's and Russ) - Ned got me back on this forum since I was mainly parked on iRV2. Ned and I were both geeks and always had something to chat about - he will be greatly missed.  :'( :'( :'(

It's easy to lose track when dealing with your own issues John.  It's still hard to believe he's gone. I was so used to his insight on many topics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom