Looking To Purchase GMC 2500HD, Any Concerns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvromero

All,

Our family is getting into trailering.  We really liked the F150 but the payload is a little low in the Lariat trim packages, around 1550.  We drove the F250 Diesel and it was nice but the inside and ride was just not to our liking and the payload also was a little low at around 1950 lbs.  We really liked the ride and trim of the 2016 GMC 2500HD Denali with the Duramax engine and the payload on a couple of the models we look at is around 2160. 

I am looking for feedback from people that pull will with this truck and what they like and don't like about the experience.  I am also looking for feedback from anyone that pulls a bunk house trailer with this truck as well.  And finally, what is your bunk house model, initially I was looking only at travel trailers but the 2500 should let me get into some of the smaller bunk house 5th wheels.

Our current leaders for travel trailers are the Rockwood 2702WS or the Windjammer 3006WK

Thanks,
Tim

i have a Chevy 3500 Duramax LTZ - for an extra $300 get the 3500 it gives you an extra 1400lbs or cargo capacity and if you decide to trade up to a larger 5er you will like the extra capacity - i love my Duramax and its my daily driver i have 56000 miles in 3 years on mine your payload look really light for a 2500 are you sure thats the right number? it should be closer to 3000lbs on a 2500 and 4000 on a 3500 srw

steveblonde said:
your payload look really light for a 2500 are you sure thats the right number? it should be closer to 3000lbs on a 2500 and 4000 on a 3500 srw

Yep, it is correct, I took it from the yellow sticker.  This link http://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra_hd/2016.tab1.html has a link to a table and shows the 6.6L Crew cab 4x4 with standard box at having a base curb weight of  2583, the 6.0L has 2942, the rest is gone in the Denali extras.

tvromero said:
having a base curb weight of  2583, the 6.0L has 2942, the rest is gone in the Denali extras.

That should have been available payload

Get a 3500 no matter what.  For the few dollars extra you gain a lot of capacity.  BTW advertised payloads are a joke.  They only refer to a stripped base level truck with one 150 pond driver.  In the real world that fully loaded Denali you wouls be lucky to have 1800 pounds of honest payload

on that chart is says payload on a 6.0 l is 2942 payload on a 6.6 l duramax is 2583
on a 3500 is says 4062 for a 6.0l and 4080 for the 6.6 l duramax

Donn is correct get the 3500 but those payload numbers are close because there are only a couple options on the Denali so it doesn't effect payload by much from the published numbers my 3500 has a published number of 4125 but a yellow sticker number of 3865 because the published number doesn't include all the options.

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20160208_134256.jpg
    IMG_20160208_134256.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 34
Steve is the truck expert who loves his Chevy.  He is right.

If you are buying new, get the 3500 SRW.  The interior and exterior dimensions for the 2500 and 3500 are virtually identical. The price is less than $1K higher.  Payload jumps to 4000 #.  It's a no brainer for me.  Also note that in my used 3500 searches, it seems 90% of Chevy / GMC 3500 are DRW models.  The SRW is a rare commodity, thus will retain an even higher resale value.

Enjoy the hunt!

I had a 2500HD Chevy, 2014, it's payload was 2,400#. It was a little difficult to pull a FW.  Now I have a 3500 RAM with over 4,000 payload and it's pretty easy. Get a 3500 truck. Don't make my mistake. My 2 cents.

A new F-150 with the heavy duty payload can get you up in the 3000 pound payload range, depending on configuration (note that some of the fancier options are unavailable). Then you can pull with the very strong 3.5 Ecoboost engine and avoid the diesel issues--water in fuel paranoia and the resulting ruinously expensive repairs not covered by warranty being the most common one.

I think a heavy duty 150 might be the proper tool for <your> job. No doubt though a 350 is a better tool for <other> jobs. No sense carrying a 3 ton come-along up on the iron when a ton and a half one does the job intended. I'm going to buy 350 diesel dually soon because it will be the proper tool for the job I intend it to do, no other reason. And I wish someone made a gasser that matched the towing capacity of the diesels--the 3500 Dodge dually gasser just misses my mark.

You know, 2500 gassers often have several hundred pounds more payload than 2500 diesels. A thought.

No F 150 Ecoboost can get 3000 of payload according to Ford web page. 

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Even 3000 is not enough for a FW when you add DW, kids, gas, water, camping stuff,  etc.

irishtom29 said:
A new F-150 with the heavy duty payload can get you up in the 3000 pound payload range, depending on configuration (note that some of the fancier options are unavailable).

I really do love the F150 EB but we need a a crew cab config and finding one with high payload is really hard and needs to be ordered, and even then you end up with a paper max payload of 2650 to 2890.  I am not willing to order a truck that I cannot at least test drive as I suspect the max payload is a little stiff.  I looked at about 5 Lariant F150s with the 3.5L EB engines and even though they start with a payload of 2160 the yellow stickers came out to be 1650 to 1550.  Which is getting a little close for a BH trailer.  If I wanted a stripped down F150 with max payload you would tow a lot but that just is not the car for my family nor my everyday driver.

irishtom29 said:
You know, 2500 gassers often have several hundred pounds more payload than 2500 diesels. A thought.

I know everyone loves the diesels but what are the issues with a GMC 6.0L gas engine, is it just not up to the task?

There are ZERO issues with the Gm 6.0 l its an iron block 350 block with higher flow heads its bullet proof and is put in boats and hot rods for years its a block that was put into the 1500/2500/3500 for years and still is its good for 250,000 miles plus no worries. Biggest issue with any gasser is torque a diesel will just out pull a gas job - i have both a 3500 diesel and a 2010 6.2l gas which has the aluminum block and heads

My 2014 Chevy 2500HD had the 6 L engine and the payload was 2,400#.  It was a little bit difficult to pull the FW on the hills.  Nothing wrong with the truck or the engine, but not sufficient payload except on flat lands.

RVRAC said:
No F 150 Ecoboost can get 3000 of payload according to Ford web page. 

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Even 3000 is not enough for a FW when you add DW, kids, gas, water, camping stuff,  etc.

Look more carefully, you'll see three that go over 3000 pounds. And several more approaching 3000 pounds.

The OP is talking about travel trailers and small FWs. As am I.

irishtom29 said:
Look more carefully, you'll see three that go over 3000 pounds. And several more approaching 3000 pounds.

The OP is talking about travel trailers and small FWs. As am I.

while the numbers are there i personally would need some convincing traditionally 1/2 tons have had payloads in the 1500 - 2000 lb range unless its a Rat stripped down model and while its true they have crept up in the last few years to almost double the payload seems a stretch to me. And while the engineers feels its capable and they have their research and development to back them up - i personally would not be comfortable with that weight in a 1/2 ton 

According to the FORD website, they do claim a F150 payload of 3000#.  It is available ONLY as  a regular cab, 8 ft bed configuration in the XL or XLT trim only.  Either 3.5L or 5.0L engine with max towing options. Either 2WD or 4WD.

No extended cab, crew cab, regular bed or short bed trucks have a 3000# payload. 
No Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum trims will carry 3000# payload.

NOTE:  By definition, Payload = GVWR - actual weight of truck.  That little yellow label means if the truck has power seats and windows, the payload goes down.

I must agree with Steve.  I am very skeptical.  The F150 you actually want will not have a 3000# payload.

My 2 cents...I bought a 2014 GMC 3500 HD 6.6L Duramax SRW.  Dually wouldn't fit in my garage.  Didn't have a trailer yet.  Sold my older 454 Chevy Class C motorhome.  Gutless and a real gas guzzler.  I was looking for a GM 2500 because that's what I drove at work and had zero problems.  Dealer had one GMC 3500 diesel SLT.  Crew cab, standard bed.  Only $900 more than equivalent 2500, which I would have had to wait for.  Love it!  Now pulling a Montana 3402RL (39.5 ft, 12,500 dry weight) with no problem at all.  Takes hills in stride and longer bed meant no slider hitch.  Couldn't be happier.  California to Florida and back without a glitch.  Pretty quiet inside, too.  Dodge seemed louder.

Past experience I've had 5.9L Ram, and my last truck which I sold in 2012 was a DMax 3500 which was a great truck. I'm sorry I sold it!!

I just completed my search for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck this week. Looking mainly for gas. The important specifications are GVWR, Payload and tongue weight. I was looking at gas as I don't plan on towing a large trailer any more and not as often as previously I had. The gas GM 6.0L had 9000 to 9500lbs of payload, but the engine torque/HP is less than my Dodge 5.7Hemi. Also the DMax and Ford diesels were having problems with the CP4 fuel pump. Not sure if Bosh has improved their design. Could not find a Ram in the price range I was looking for. By the way the Ram still uses the CP3 fuel pump (with no problems reported)

If you can by a 1 ton.

I've never owned a Chevy but I have ridden in many.  They do have a great ride because of the independent front suspension.  There are two things that I don't care for though. 

#1. Square wheel wells and round tires...looks funky to me.

#2. The DEF tank hangs low behind the passengers side front tire.  Not to mention that you have to fill it from under the hood.

Other than that, they pull fine and will get you there is comfort.

I have a 2015 GMC 2500 Duramax 4x4 SB pulling a Reflection 27RL with a Gross weight of 10000 lbs. I have had the truck for two years (25,000 miles) and the 5th wheel for one year. I have had no issues and love the truck. My only issue is the headlights were designed poorly but this was corrected in 2016. We like having a smaller 5th wheel at 31 feet and I don't see us wanting to go bigger. The diesel is amazing and I routinely get 20-21 MPG on the highway and 12-13 towing.

If you think you will get a bigger RV you should get the 3500. If you don't need it the 2500 is terrific.

Back
Top Bottom