Looking To Purchase GMC 2500HD, Any Concerns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lone_star_dsl said:
I've never owned a Chevy but I have ridden in many.  They do have a great ride because of the independent front suspension.  There are two things that I don't care for though. 

#1. Square wheel wells and round tires...looks funky to me.

Better than round wheel wells and square tires.  :p

From a purely styling standpoint i agree with lone star both the Ford and the Ram have proper wheel wells the GM one have never suited the truck and it always looks like the wheel/tire is too small and what the hell they were thinking with the DEF  tank we will never know. Asinine for sure. But the ride is amazing along with the reliability 

steveblonde said:
From a purely styling standpoint i agree with lone star both the Ford and the Ram have proper wheel wells the GM one have never suited the truck and it always looks like the wheel/tire is too small and what the hell they were thinking with the DEF  tank we will never know. Asinine for sure. But the ride is amazing along with the reliability

I'll play devil's advocate here on the DEF tank issue.  There have been a couple of instances I know of where a person introduced DEF into the diesel tank, then started and drove the vehicle.  In once case, the repair bill was north of $15,000.  Ultimately, his insurance paid the claim, but it was a scary lesson for the owner.  I am HYPER paranoid when either fueling or filling my DEF tank because the ports are so close each other.  While you won't be able to put diesel in the DEF tank, the opposite is most certainly possible if you're preoccupied or not paying attention.  Putting the DEF tank and fill under the hood greatly lessens that possibility.

Frizlefrak said:
I'll play devil's advocate here on the DEF tank issue.  There have been a couple of instances I know of where a person introduced DEF into the diesel tank, then started and drove the vehicle.  In once case, the repair bill was north of $15,000.  Ultimately, his insurance paid the claim, but it was a scary lesson for the owner.  I am HYPER paranoid when either fueling or filling my DEF tank because the ports are so close each other.  While you won't be able to put diesel in the DEF tank, the opposite is most certainly possible if you're preoccupied or not paying attention.  Putting the DEF tank and fill under the hood greatly lessens that possibility.

hmmmm interesting

steveblonde said:
hmmmm interesting

From the Cummin(g)s Forum.....Post #29 says that it was $16,000 in parts alone. 

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/1704250-need-advice-def-fuel-tank.html

That is why I put the DEF myself.  Since it would cost me, I don't make the mistake.

RVRAC said:
That is why I put the DEF myself.  Since it would cost me, I don't make the mistake.

Oh....I'm careful to the point of paranoid.  But all it would take is one second of inattention....And this is one area where I think GM got it right.  Pretty much idiot proofs the DEF fill process.

Frizlefrak said:
Oh....I'm careful to the point of paranoid.  But all it would take is one second of inattention....And this is one area where I think GM got it right.  Pretty much idiot proofs the DEF fill process.

That should tell you something about Chevy buyers.  ;)

Hahaha!  I can't wait for Steve's reaction.

i cant believe any one is that dumb (even a Dodge owner KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING ;D) - but having said that -at our local gas station a kid put gas in a diesel truck one day.

i always thought putting the 2 together like they did on the Ram was smart maybe not smart enough i will concede that putting under the hood i thought  was dumb but i guess not - the other issue i have which i love on the Ram is it now has a DEF Gauge my Gm say "OK" or "FILL NOW" that is DUMBER THAN A BAG OF ****

But Chevy put on the passenger side and the hose from the DEF won't extend that far at the truck stops - at least the ones I tried to use when I had my Chevy 2500HD diesel.

steveblonde said:
the other issue i have which i love on the Ram is it now has a DEF Gauge my Gm say "OK" or "FILL NOW" that is DUMBER THAN A BAG OF ****

Yep, having a DEF gauge is nice.... when I get down to half, I fill my DEF tank.  That 5 MPH limp mode wouldn't be fun.

Re; DEF tank placement on GM vs Ford.  I have been told, not by an expert, that by keeping the DEF tank under the hood allows for a larger fuel tank under the bed.  I don't know if that is part of the thinking on GM's part but I do know that my buddy's trk can carry approx. 10 more gal of fuel than my Ford.

tvromero,

After having done research for another tow vehicle, I would recommend looking at the towing guides on Trailer Life web site. The guides will give you the towing capacity. Example: the 2016 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Double Cab will tow a 17,000# 5th wheel. It also gives TT capacities.

Payload data don't really tell you how much trailer you can tow. The diesel will get better mileage than the gasser. Even with that, I went with a 2005 Silverado 2500 HD with 8.1L (496ci) and Allison Transmission. It is rated for a 12,000# travel trailer or 14,000# 5ver.

Take your time and get the one you like best. Check the towing capacity with the GVWR (loaded weight) of the trailer.

ustaxmaster said:
tvromero,

After having done research for another tow vehicle, I would recommend looking at the towing guides on Trailer Life web site. The guides will give you the towing capacity. Example: the 2016 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Double Cab will tow a 17,000# 5th wheel. It also gives TT capacities.

As the percentage of pin weight goes up the amount you can tow goes down.

Payload data don't really tell you how much trailer you can tow. The diesel will get better mileage than the gasser. Even with that, I went with a 2005 Silverado 2500 HD with 8.1L (496ci) and Allison Transmission. It is rated for a 12,000# travel trailer or 14,000# 5ver.

Take your time and get the one you like best. Check the towing capacity with the GVWR (loaded weight) of the trailer.

Remember that those tow ratings are based off of 15% pin weight 14,000 x 15% = 2,100 lbs pin weight.  Most 5ers at 14,000 will be between 19% and 21% dry pin weight and a ready to camp percentage of 22% to 23%.  22.5% X 14,000 = 3150 lbs pin weight.

To tow a 14,000 5er you need to stay with a pin weight of 15% of the gross weight and that doesn't included payload in the truck like hitch, passengers and misc stuff.

I believe that payload DOES tell you what you can tow.  Like CWSWine said pin weight is counting against your payload number.  Truck makers go very light on "estimated" pin weight to get max towing capability. 

My only concern as well (And this applies to *ALL* potential tow vehicles, not just the one specified in the subject line) is the Towing capacity.. I see far too many trailers where I'm amazed they made it to the campground with that too small Tow Vehicle.

The 2500, is roughly equal to a ford 250, MOST (But not all) TTs and 5Ers will be happy with it.. Some require a 3500/F-350, But most will do with a 2500/F-250... In all cases, though, Verify before hooking up.  I like to "De-rate" the tow vehicle.

That is if they say 30,000 trailer is OK, limit to 25000 or less The greater the LESS the better.

Elkhounds said:
I believe that payload DOES tell you what you can tow.  Like CWSWine said pin weight is counting against your payload number.  Truck makers go very light on "estimated" pin weight to get max towing capability.

Payload and tow capacity have nothing to do with each other as an example a 2013 Chevy 2500 and a 2013 Chevy 3500 single rear wheel both being Diesel both being short box both being crew cabs can pull the same weight 13,000 lbs as Bumper pulls, BOTH can tow 17,300 lbs as 5th wheels  BUT PAYLOAD CAPACITY on a 2500 is 2706lbs and on a 3500 is 4125lbs  before options

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Help%20Center/Download%20a%20Brochure/02_PDFs/MY13%20Silverado%20HD%20eBrochure.pdf

all thing being equal - actual vehicles will vary

I don't see how you can say that.  17,300 X 15% = 2595 pin weight and that is with in the payload.  Now that same 2500 with real world pin weight would have a pin weight of 17,300 x 22.5% would be 3892 pin weight.

So I guess the correct advice would be:  If you want to tow a 17,300 lbs 5er with 2500 you need to keep the pin at or less than 15% to stay within your payload limits.  Good Luck finding one.

thats correct you should not be pulling a 17000 lbs 5er with 2500 PERIOD. you would be GROSSLEY overweight. A 2500 pulling a gooseneck trailer with a back hoe on the ass end is okay because the pin weight is nowhere near what a 5er is which is why they say 5th wheel/gooseneck capabilities

CWSWine said:
I don't see how you can say that.  17,300 X 15% = 2595 pin weight and that is with in the payload.  Now that same 2500 with real world pin weight would have a pin weight of 17,300 x 22.5% would be 3892 pin weight.

So I guess the correct advice would be:  If you want to tow a 17,300 lbs 5er with 2500 you need to keep the pin at or less than 15% to stay within your payload limits.  Good Luck finding one.
  at 2595 that would not include the hitch 250 lbs the driver 200lbs BOOM your over posted weight there is a reason there is a little yellow decal on the B piller between the drivers door and the passenger door that states "TOTAL CARGO CAPACITY MUST NOT EXCEED **** LBS"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom