tow bar for 2012 wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john owens

Hey people I have plans on buying a 2012 jeep wrangler. Quick look online for tow  bars and I like the one that spreads and will attach to the owner mounted clips that are installed on the stock bumber by drilling holes and bolting up. Is the factory bumber suitable for this application?? Thanks!!!

If I understand your question, then the answer is no. The tow bar needs to be mounted on a base plate if it is the type that stays on the Jeep - the stock bumper is pretty much worthless.

We have an '04 Wrangler and use a Blue Ox tow bar that stays on the motorhome, not the Jeep. I would not have it any other way.

Bill

I'll agree with the above poster, but you can replace the bumper with an aftermarket steel bumper and then try to make sure the hitch points bolt through to the frame horns (or use a backing plate). The result in my case is a wider spread in the mounting points, but it has worked on my Rubicon for about 20, 000 miles now.

Ernie

The tow bars I was looking at are the smitybilt types..Its similar to the kinds that pull VW's...anybody have pics of their tow system? I know there are dozens of members here that pull jeeps.....Thanks!!. P.S going to Borrego Springs today where there are lots of folks off roading...can't wait to get the Jeep!!!!

get the blue ox tow package system, ya cant go wrong

Attachments

• guard4.jpg
    guard4.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 67
john owens said:
No Pics huh? Thought this was a shared info site...my mistake

This post puzzles me. Were you having trouble posting pictures, or were you expecting someone to automatically post a picture if they answered? If the latter, it's up to the individual who posts, not something required by the site. If the former, help is available. Or perhaps you meant something else?

Larry..If you took the time to read all my posts you would find that I kindly asked members to post pictures of their tow systems for their Jeeps. How could I post pics of something I don't have yet?? P.S. You got pics???

john owens said:
Larry..If you took the time to read all my posts you would find that I kindly asked members to post pictures of their tow systems for their Jeeps. How could I post pics of something I don't have yet?? P.S. You got pics???

Sorry, John. The first time through I missed the "...anybody have pics of their tow system?" piece of your second post in this thread -- I had to read through twice more to catch that (I must be skimming the posts???). But I still stand by the "If the latter, it's up to the individual who posts, not something required by the site" of my post above.

P.S. No, I don't have tow bar/base plate pics, though I had a base plate installed on my stock Wrangler by my local RV dealer, similar to the one shown here, and I'm using a Blue Ox Aladdin, like the one shown here.

Thanks Larry!! that's some info I was looking for from all you experienced rv'ers!!!!! I appreciate it.....I believe I will be getting the Blue Ox system from Amazon....good prices.

Found the right Jeep and Blue Ox base plate and tow bar setup....Jeep is a 2012 sahara unlimited 4 door..beautiful red color...way more jeep than I expected to find...really excited!!!  Pics to follow when I can post them.

Yes, Im glad you got the 4 door, its an awesome jeep, I put my expensive bicycle right in the back, when friends come down to Yuma to visit you have the room to drive then around, then head out to the desert for some off-roading fun.

Attachments

• off4.jpg
    off4.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 31
Thats a option purchase on the rock guard, fits with the blue ox system, the jeep rides higher than a car, I dont think you even need it.

Blue Ox is what I used, pulled a 08 JKU for 20k plus miles.... It's a great setup. 

As stated if you want a different bumper there are several available which include the mounts on the bumper itself for towing, they are welded to the bumper. Some that are into off-roading more will go this direction due to getting better/stronger bumpers plus more clearance etc...... Less chances of scraping.

I can't recall the bumper manufacturers, possibly look at quadratec if that's a direction you might go.

Hey Guys I bought the BO Alpha tow Bar and the base plate that fits my Sahara Unlimited..Hopefully put it on this week..if it cools down a little. Thanks for all the input I appreciate it!!

John, I'm also buying a Jeep.  When I asked my hitch guy about the base plate he asked if I intended to put a winch on the front bumper.  I've used this guy for the past 8 years and trust him.  He says if I want a winch on the front bumper, I will have to buy a steel bumper since the standard bumper is not strong enough.  So the advice is, if you eventually plan on adding a winch, get a steel bumper now.  Otherwise you end up paying for a baseplate that isn't needed when you have a steel bumper.  (I believe the Hard Rock has steel bumpers and Backcountry Jeeps have heavy duty bumpers as standard equipment)  The rest will require an upgrade. 

Thanks Gary. I already pulled the trigger and got the tow setup. A winch is not in the cards right now...If DW got wind of me wanting a winch right now it would ne WW3...She don't get the gearhead thing.....lol. So I will be taking it easy for a year or so and try to stay clear of needing the puller..althou I would love one in the future...Every JEEP needs a winch!!!!

Yes, the hard rock bumpers are ready to accept a winch however unfortunately these aren't able to be modified to accept towing, the base plate is required.

If you are wanting a winch in the future and your present bumpers do not accept a winch, I would give a aftermarket bumper a look now, it will save you money in the long run.  You can get a new bumper that can take a winch and is also ready for towing thus no need for the base plate!

If I didn't like my hard rock bumpers, I would go that direction. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom