tow bar for 2012 wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2KViggen  That's good to know.  I was thinking of the Backcountry and possibly a Hard Rock for that very reason.  Now we'll just wait four our Willis W to come in and put a steel bumper on it.  According to my hitch guy, the steel bumper he recommends doesn't require a separate base plate.  Hope that's correct.  The bumper is about $2,000 plus installation.  :eek:  Can't believe I'm even considering it.  Just to make the wife happy. 

2KViggen said:
Yes, the hard rock bumpers are ready to accept a winch however unfortunately these aren't able to be modified to accept towing, the base plate is required.

Your statement is not accurate at all. Hard Rock 4x4 has a JK and a TJ bumper to accept towing points. I use one myself.

Many of us tow with a Rock Hard bumper, just bolt the tabs on for the tow bar hookup and away you go.

Just as an FYI, the new mods, bumper, tow plate, and winch (if you get one) do add a significant amount of weight to the front end of the Jeep. You may consider replacing the standard stock springs with some leveling coils. It's not critical, but the Jeeps come with a bit of a rake to the front anyway and added the extra weight makes it a bit softer as well. 

Here is a pic of the Rockhard bumper mounted with my winch and tow attachment points.

Attachments

• Rockhard bumper 1.jpg
    Rockhard bumper 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 56
Here is a later pic of the tow points added to the bumper Gary.  They just bolt on using two of the existing bolts that mount the bumper to the frame.  They are super solid. 

Then I use the D rings to hook the safety cables up. The D rings are made by Warn so they are pretty beefy.  I am pretty confident that the Jeep won't get away again if there was a tow bar failure.

Attachments

• Jeep tow points.jpg
    Jeep tow points.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 39
A little side note here hey Marty did you get a good deal on a cement plant or something?? I looked at the pics of your remodeled front of your property..lol!looks great!

Thanks John, I wish! We have been saving up for that project for a few years because we knew it was going to be pricey. But I love the results, and it is one that we will actually get our money back on if we sell someday.  We wound up pouring 57 yards of concrete over 3 days.  Of they were the hottest February days on record for our area.....

I realize this is an old post, but FYI I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and use the Blue OX tow bar and base plate and have the stock bumper.  I then later added a Rough Country winch plate.  This uses the mounting base of the factory bumper mounted hooks which are removed.  You end up with the winch mounted right up top where it should be and it looks great.  If anyone is interested I will post a picture. 

Another bumper you may want to consider is the LoD out of IN. Mine is coming in Tuesday via FedEx.
They weld on the Blue Ox tabs for FREE. Other towbar brands also (Roadrunner or?)

The one I am getting is their full width bumper, and as soon as I get it I will try to post a picture. Not getting the winch for now, down the road who knows? At least I will be set up for it.

azwinne said:
Another bumper you may want to consider is the LoD out of IN. Mine is coming in Tuesday via FedEx.
They weld on the Blue Ox tabs for FREE. Other towbar brands also (Roadrunner or?)

The one I am getting is their full width bumper, and as soon as I get it I will try to post a picture. Not getting the winch for now, down the road who knows? At least I will be set up for it.
[/quoteI am very interested in your setup. I would like to keep the stock bumber in place and add a winch. I installed the blue ox base plate myself WITHOUT removing the bumber or disconnecting any wiring. Works great!!]

Well I screwed that up royally!! First time I tyried to include a Quote from a post and whoops!!! I wanted to pos t up RFGUY. I would like to see pictures and all else concerning his winch setup....Thanks!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom