Fixin' a loose TP roll holder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

Whoever installed this holder spread the mounting arms out too far so that standard spring loaded tubes aren't long enough to mount securely, which allows the roll to frequently fall to the floor. As you can imagine- this is extremely frustrating. The right arm is attached to solid wood behind the wall, the left arm is simply attaheced to the thin wall which does not provide enough grip. I am considering mounting the roll vertically so that both mounts can bite solid wood OR using drywall wing anchor style fittings in the soft wall cavity. Any other thoughts on this one?

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 63
You're saying RV quality-control ain't the greatest? How can that be? :D  Had the same issue with our previous motorhome. To keep it looking relatively nice, and my wife happy, I installed a toilet paper roll with a wood backing. The little holder-arms were already attached to the decorative wood backing. Then I just screwed the entire unit to the wall. The wood backing was large enough to cover the previous mounting holes. (Got it at Home Depot)

Kev

Yeah, American Freedom actually sucks. They cut too many corners, important ones too. There are quite a few vertical mounts for sale so obviously thats a "thing". I'll consider my options for a day or two to see how I feel with some fresh thinking.

You posted this at the exact time that ours came loose, and the screws holding it are just turning and not biting into the paper thin wood.

As soon as I get home from snow birding I'll solve it the way I have made and mounted lots of clothes racks, towel racks and miscellaneous other stuff that needs to be affixed to the walls.
I'll make a 1/4" backing plate with a dadoed edge and stain/ polyurthane it to match all the other  wood. I'll glue this to the door using two small brass countersunk screws (they just act as a clamp to hold it.)  Then I'll simply attach the toilet paper holder

jack L

I would move both legs either to the left or the right about 3/8". just move it enough so that the one which is screwed to the stud is till adjacent to the stud.

You should be able to move the mount 1/4" to 3/8" and still cover the existing holes. Don't crank on the screws too hard or they will pull thru again. When they mount those things, I think they use screw guns which pulls too hard and strips the hole out. Good luck.

I'm definitely considering the single mount holder like that. Here are some pictures to showcase American Freedom's "quality".

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 51
You could get a nice looking piece of wood to attach the roll holder to then attach the wood to the wall.

Joezeppy said:
We used this type so it only mounts in one place.

http://www.moen.com/preston/chrome-european-paper-holder/_/R-CONSUMER%3ADN8408CH

Edit: fixed link.

Our new 2016 Bounder came with a holder like this.

elwood58 said:
Our new 2016 Bounder came with a holder like this.

We put one in like this....We installed it up higher that the original and in a corner with the end pointing up so the roll was hung on it.  Works great.  The original one was placed so every time we turned around or got out of the shower we knocked the roll off. :(

Joezeppy said:
We used this type so it only mounts in one place.

http://www.moen.com/preston/chrome-european-paper-holder/_/R-CONSUMER%3ADN8408CH

Edit: fixed link.
that would surely look good but, you still have to patch the other hole. Personally I would get a piece of 1/2" thick oak at HD, 1" wider than needed in length of your arms and 5" wide, bevel the edges, stain it and clear coat, then molly it to the wall, then fasten your arms to the wood. If you don't think you would ever remove it, then liquid nail it to the wall holding it in place with masking tape until dry

I am considering mounting the roll vertically

I don't think that's such a great idea in an RV.  Remember it's moving down the road with lots of bumps and turns.  I can envision LOTS of unrolled toilet paper on the floor when you get to your destination.  It might work in a stick and brick but I don't think it will work as well in a moving house.  I think the others who suggested moving one arm have a better solution.

ArdraF

Deano2002 said:
that would surely look good but, you still have to patch the other hole. Personally I would get a piece of 1/2" thick oak at HD, 1" wider than needed in length of your arms and 5" wide, bevel the edges, stain it and clear coat, then molly it to the wall, then fasten your arms to the wood. If you don't think you would ever remove it, then liquid nail it to the wall holding it in place with masking tape until dry

How would you suggest I patch those 2 small holes? I ask if I was to relocate the holder to another area or single mount.

How would you suggest I patch those 2 small holes?

It somewhat depends on the wall color.  We had a couple of small holes after we changed something and a tiny bit of beige caulk did the trick.  I doubt anyone else would notice they're filled-in holes.  Test the color in a corner that won't show and see what happens.  As long as you're just filling the holes any spackle of a similar color would work because you really don't care about strength, just looks.

ArdraF

ahhh, lovely Amazon Prime Sunday funday delivery, who knew happiness could be a solid paper roll holder?!

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back