Another Awning LED Question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BroRobin

I've done some searches about his topic, but I can't seem to get a clear picture (no pun intended  8).
On our 2010 Keystone Passport (just purchased 02/12/16) I found a LED Strip affixed to the awning roller, visible when fully extended.  On one end of the roller there is a short section of wire extending from the LED strip with 4 pins (some sort of connector).  I realize that there must be a power source for the LEDs but how can I determine which or what to buy.  I haven't found anything left over in the TT that would plug into this.  I would assume it was an add-on by previous owner...
Here are my questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]How to determine if DC or AC current (I would assume DC)
[*]How to determine which power source to buy and if a controller is needed
[/list]
HELP, PLEASE.

This is what one of those awning LED strips looks like on a reel......

Is this what the connector looks like on yours??

Attachments

• led strip.jpg
    led strip.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 46
Beav,
Yes the end that I can view sticking out from the end of the awning roller looks like the end on the reel that is tucked under the side of the reel (the end with the pins or male end verses female end).

Robin, odds are it's an after-market 12 volt LED light strip that someone added to the awning roller. Since the awning rolls in and out, permanently attaching a power supply to the light strip's wires is problematic, because the wires will become twisted when the awning rolls in and out. Most folks who put light strips on their awning rollers have to open their awnings and then connect the light strip's wires to a power supply every time they want to use it. Then then they have to disconnect the power supply before closing the awning.

Some awning manufacturers (Carefree of Colorado is one) have sewn small wires into the edge seam of some of their awnings. The wires roll up with the awning, so there's no twisting when the awning goes in and out.

Kev

Kevin,
Thanks for the reply.  After further examination with awning fully extended, I could read on the strip "12VDC" also 'RGB'.  There are 4 wires (white, red, green and blue) at the end of the strip with a a small connector with 4 small pins.  I have looked for an adapter and power supply in the TT and couldn't find one.  Are these available, or would my best bet be to purchase a new "kit": Amazon, EBay...

I really don't see an issue with connecting/disconnecting the strip when extending or retracting the awning. From what I came from I am thrilled just to have a power awning  ;D

Any ideas would be welcome.

Here is what is missing from that setup..... a power cord, a remote control sensor, and the remote..... it won't work without the remote....

I don't know if replacement parts are available....the entire kit is $50 shipped on ebay....here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Awning-Waterproof-RGB-300-LED-Strip-w-44-Key-Remote-12v-5A-USA-Ship-W2-/111851017637?hash=item1a0ad715a5:g:EsgAAOSw-jhUIPUo&vxp=mtr

There are no hanging wires to get tangled in the awning....just the strip that adheres to the roller.... the 2 ends of the strip are identical so you can run the power cord/remote sensor to which side is more convenient to where you are running power from. Yes you would have to run power to it every time you use it, but once plugged in, you can sit in your chair and make it do all kinds of stuff right from your camp fire!!

I stuck mine to the side of the camper, tucked up behind the awning.... its almost not visible with the awning closed.... I would not be opposed to sticking it on the roller itself either as there is nothing left hanging to get tangled.

Since it's a powered awning, just remember to turn off the auto-retract feature if you're going to run a power cord to it. (The wind/vibration sensor - if it has that feature.) If the awning retracted while the light strip was plugged in to a power cord, it could do some damage.

Kev

Beaver & Kevin,
Thanks for the replies and information.
After checking around, I think an new complete kit would be the best way to go financially and for dependability (not knowing for sure if new components would be compatible).
The wife bought some "cute" hanging lights that we will try first out on the awning roller (the rubber hangers are already there).  I still like the LED Strip idea, I may put one on the camper/awning mount rail.  Who knows????
Thanks again for the replies and info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom