(Temporary) Full Time RV?ing with kids - Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alawman

Hi All,

Thanks for having me ? this seems like a great forum with TONS of knowledge.

An abbreviated background on our family - We are in the beginning process of researching the idea of transitioning from a home to full time RV?ing, for temporary a period of time. It should also be noted that this will be our first time owning an RV.

My wife and I grew up in Ohio and in 2012 relocated to sunny southern California for work. However, within the next year we plan on moving back to the midwest (Northeast Wisconsin) to be with family. My wife and I will be running 30 this year and we have 2 young boys ages 5 and 3.

We are looking into the idea of selling our 2500 sq ft home in California and purchasing (ideally) a Class A to live in during our transition year before we move to Wisconsin. This would give us the benefit of being able to leave California whenever we are ready and also give us a landing spot in Wisconsin until we can eventually purchase a home again.  It also is a perfect excuse to pare down to the essentials and only store what we will need in our new adventure.

Now to get to the details of the coach. What are some of your suggestions for a family friendly RV that would be suitable for full time living with kids? Here is a list of features we would be looking for in the ideal RV...

? 2 separate sleeping areas (master and bunkroom or similar)
? Large living area
? Ability to town a vehicle (on a trailer) ? vehicle GW is around 5,000 lbs
? Suitable for use in all season (Midwest winters)
? Loose budget around $40K-$60K

I have been looking at the National Surfside 34E?s specifically because they have a separate master bedroom with door and bunk room with door, similar to the one linked below. I understand that this company has since gone defunct ? any other RV?s with this type of a floor plan?

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Best-Preowned-RV's-3016352/listing/2008-National-Surfside-34E-Wood-Bunks!-WoodFloors%2C-Fre-116967527

I am sure the above list sounds like I want to be able to ?have my cake and eat it too?. We are also not opposed to the idea of a 5th wheel, which I know we could get the above list and then some fairly easily. However, our first preference is to have a self-contained class A, as we do not have a tow vehicle. If we explore the idea of a 5th wheel would still need to stay with the same ?all in? budget for a trailer and tow vehicle.

I know this was a lot of info and THANKS for your time. This is an exciting and ambitious idea that we are starting to research.

Look forward to meeting you guys on this forum!

Andrew

That wouldn't bother me, I almost bought a 2000 last fall but the deal fell through. Looks like a nice coach, but they're asking too much for it. Go to nada guides and look it up. It appears that dealers add for everything the coach has on it instead of just the options on it. Pull up the spec sheet on it and see what it came standard with.

?  Suitable for use in all seasons (Midwest winters)

IMHO RVs and winter don't belong in the same sentence. They are not insulated very well and will cost you a fortune to heat it in the winter. There are some people who do spend the winter in their RV but I cannot believe they are having a good time.

Have you found an RV park to live in in California yet? They can be very pricey.

First, WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Based on your age, I am guessing this is a job change / move.  Unless this is just an excuse to buy the RV, IMHO, it is a bad idea.  If you want the RV anyway, that's different.

I have made 2 relocation / job changes.  While not ideal, the family stayed behind until the house sold and I got a small apartment and did lots of house hunting.  Since neither house sold quickly, the family moved to the apartment, we bought a house and moved.

I would suggest getting a 1 ton pickup and a 5th wheel if you go that way.  The class A is better for traveling, but the 5er is larger and more comfortable for living in.  Neither will come close to carrying all the household stuff you will want to take with you.  You can get a decent 8 - 10 year old diesel pickup for $25K - $30K.  That leaves $30K + for a decent 5er bunk house.  This is certainly possible.

There are several recent posts on 2 bedroom bunkhouse and on full time with kids.  There are many posts on winter camping.  Just read through recent posts or use the "search" option near the top of the page.

Good luck with the job search and enjoy the RV hunt!

P.S.  Wife and I both grew up in SW Ohio.  Her step dad was city officer.

Last year, I paid $20k for my toyhauler. It was in great condition and no repairs were needed. A toy hauler will give you the separate living areas (and/or storage area) that you need for full timing with a family.  That leaves you with a big chunk of change to buy a truck.  If you want a loaded diesel, you would be looking at ones that are only a couple years old.  If you don't mind one that's stripped down, you would be able to afford brand new.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom