New Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckylindy

Hello all,

The microwave in our 1997 Fleetwood Bounder has finally given up the ghost. We want to remove it along with the old vent hood and replace them with a new over the range microwave / convection oven combination. Remodeling the cabinet is no problem for me as I worked in construction my whole life. The problem is finding a microwave / convection unit that will fit. I can remove the old hood and microwave and remodel the cabinet, but the biggest the new unit can be for width is 26" wide.  The old microwave opening is 20" wide.  Height is no problem. I can remodel the cabinet area up to 26" wide, but that's the maximum.

My question is: Does anyone make a 24 to 26 inch microwave / convection oven? Everything I've looked at is wider than that. I would truly appreciate any information.

Thanks

I did a quick search with "26 inch microwave convection oven" and had a lot of hits.
Mostly microwave. I did not look at all the pages.
Apparently they are not unusual including a Bosch unit.

luckylindy said:
Hello all,

The microwave in our 1997 Fleetwood Bounder has finally given up the ghost. We want to remove it along with the old vent hood and replace them with a new over the range microwave / convection oven combination. Remodeling the cabinet is no problem for me as I worked in construction my whole life. The problem is finding a microwave / convection unit that will fit. I can remove the old hood and microwave and remodel the cabinet, but the biggest the new unit can be for width is 26" wide.  The old microwave opening is 20" wide.  Height is no problem. I can remodel the cabinet area up to 26" wide, but that's the maximum.

My question is: Does anyone make a 24 to 26 inch microwave / convection oven? Everything I've looked at is wider than that. I would truly appreciate any information.

Thanks
I got a direct replacement from Home Depot on line with free shipping. Get your measurements and go on line.
Bill

A word of caution:
I have replaced two microwaves with convection types, one in my last motor home and one in my present unit.
Unless the one you get is designed for a built in installation and exhausts out of the front - the best option by far- , or your current installation has a way of exhausting through the wall I would highly recommend getting the "build-in kit" for whatever brand microwave/convection you get.

In convection mode, convection micros get much hotter than the standard ones. When it was first installed, the temp behind mine got up to 200 degrees F after 45 minutes in convection mode.
I did not get the build-in kit for my first installation and went through a lot of hassle getting the temp behind the unit down to a reasonable level. I ended up adding a grill above the microwave and an exhaust fan blowing air through the side of the motor home. This involved a lot of work and cutting through the side of the motor home.

The second time I got the kit and the job was much easier. There was additional sheet metal in the kit that formed ducts to move air in from the front and back out the front. It also came with decorative grills that make the installation look like it came from the factory with the unit already in place.

Note that there are some minimum clearances in back and on the sides that must be met. You should make sure the convection micro you buy is small enough to allow for the proper clearances.

The one I installed in my present motor home is a Sharp Carousel Grill 2 Convection R-820-BK (the BK stands for black, I think WT will denote a white one).
The dimensions are 20 1/2(w) X 12 1/8(h) X 19 3/4(d).

It was a little too deep but we (DW really) got a little creative and figured out how to trim the sheet metal on the build-in ducts so they fit behind the supplied grills. Also had to move a junction box on the back wall behind the microwave a few inches over.
It looks like a factory installation.

The build in kit for the Sharp doesn't appear to be available anymore so it may no longer be a good choice. If you can't find a kit you might want to see if you can find a unit designed to be built into a cabinet. The ducting should already be in place.

Dometic makes a convection microwave for RV's that's about 21-1/2" wide. Other than that, I don't know of any smaller-sized convection mw's available.

The biggest problem the OP will be facing, (IMO) is that the majority of microwave-hoods will be made to fit over ranges...those are usually 30" and 36". VERY FEW (other than apartment sized units) will be less than 30" (usually 29.875") wide.

I suspect he's gonna be stuck with a range hood and separate microwave/convection oven.

legrandnormand said:
Where did you read this ? I'm not sure at all that he had a convection in his 1997 MH !
So I can't read. He  is looking to install a convection in his 1997 MH !
I don't think it will be a problem, I have done a couple of them now and no issues. Just follow the instructions and if needed turn the fan exhaust in the proper direction before you install it or you will have to take it down and re do it.
Bill

BoomerD said:
The biggest problem the OP will be facing, (IMO) is that the majority of microwave-hoods will be made to fit over ranges...those are usually 30" and 36". VERY FEW (other than apartment sized units) will be less than 30" (usually 29.875") wide.

I suspect he's gonna be stuck with a range hood and separate microwave/convection oven.
With the ones I have had experience with the bottom of the microwave has the light and exhaust fan there is no "hood".
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
With the ones I have had experience with the bottom of the microwave has the light and exhaust fan there is no "hood".
Bill

Semantics, Bill. If the microwave fits over the stove, has a light and exhaust fan...it IS a range hood...of sorts.  ;D

(especially if it vents to the outside)

Back
Top Bottom