FORD F53 V10 GAS SPARE PARTS LIST

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amen

I work at a school bus dealership and can get parts at cost. Before I leave here and go fulltime I'd like to get some of the most common spare parts needed for my motor/chassis. I've looked at Napa's website and it list many part numbers for the belts, filters and hoses. Do all these V10's have the same belts, filters and hoses? I won't go overboard as space is at a premium but what parts should I be looking for?

A toad and a credit card. If you can bend a wrench, a 3/8ths drive ratchet set and wrenches up to 3/4" with comparable metric sizes in both, large and small vice grips,screw driver set with three sizes. one hammer and pry bar. Toad, to go for either parts or cell phone signal, credit card for either repair or buying parts. Should probably look into road side assistance for RV's, I have Coachnet which is like 90$ for the middle  coverage. Why waste space and weight carrying something you may never need. Besides you'll get sidelong glances from the dear wife when you tell her she can't bring her crock pot because you're out of room or weight capacity but you have an alternator, starter and water pump on board.

Oh yeah I wouldn't even carry all those tools if you don't know how to bend them!

Bill

All I carried in my old Challenger was a spare belt, and throttle cable. I carried the old belt I took off when I bought the coach, and the PO told me a story about him and his son driving the thing 500 miles with the son working the throttle after a cable broke. I may do the same thing with this one. Anything else I wouldn't be able to repair it on the side of the road anyways, but I will take a small tool box.

The motorhome chassis uses different belts & hoses than the trucks & vans with the same engine, and probably different alternator too. You need parts designated for the F53 stripped motorhome chassis, not an F550 or any old V10.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The motorhome chassis uses different belts & hoses than the trucks & vans with the same engine, and probably different alternator too. You need parts designated for the F53 stripped motorhome chassis, not an F550 or any old V10.

I get all that above and I have plenty of tools. Just wondering if there was/were parts that are common to go out that I can carry. Usually these parts are small and can be stored easily. I'm not talking starters or alternators. But besides belts and maybe a hose or two?? What is a common part (if any?) that can fail on these V10's.

BTW..I have to say this is the best site for advice! Always get something or some view I hadn't thought of.  ;)

Belts and hoses on an RV don't fail any more often than on other vehicles, so chances are you could own one for years and never need either one. If you spend much time in the boonies it may be worthwhile carrying spares, but otherwise I would wait until I needed one. Or change them every 8-10 years as a preventive maintenance item.

Fuses are about the only thing you are likely to need at a moments notice, and most RVs have a lot of them in all sorts of sizes and types.

Well, I've had the sepentine belt go, and I seem to go through tires like popcorn.  Other than that, the normal maintenance items.

Well, I have a Ford V 10 in my Coachman.
With 87,000 miles on it I have had only one emergency and that one hurt.
It happened on a Friday and I lost one coil on number 2 cylinder. Also had to make home before a storm
Not fun trying to locate a spare when most everyone is closed.
Cost over a 100 bucks , but I now have a spare coil and plug.
I know i could not pull the plug, but its the coil that can cause havoc or lost time .

The v 10 has 10 of those coils and mine went out at about 65,000

Professor54313 said:
.... I lost one coil on number 2 cylinder .... I know i could not pull the plug, but its the coil that can cause havoc or lost time .

Professor,

How did you know that you lost a coil? What kind of problems does a lost coil cause, if you do not know that you have the problem? I have a V-10 and am not sure that I would know that I have a lost coil.

R

amyken said:
I work at a school bus dealership and can get parts at cost. Before I leave here and go fulltime I'd like to get some of the most common spare parts needed for my motor/chassis. I've looked at Napa's website and it list many part numbers for the belts, filters and hoses. Do all these V10's have the same belts, filters and hoses? I won't go overboard as space is at a premium but what parts should I be looking for?
Are you going to be driving the one in your Signature? When was the last time you changed belts and hoses? Fuel filters? Air filter?
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Are you going to be driving the one in your Signature? When was the last time you changed belts and hoses? Fuel filters? Air filter?
Bill

Yes.. and haven't yet changed anything. Was told oil/tranny and air filter changed when we bought from dealer. Only had it a year. Put 3,200 miles on it. But...I will being going over everything before we hit the road.

One thing before you head out is look at the date code on the tire's. I might get extra filters for both the V-10 and the generator. I do an annual on my coach but I am diesel and have a longer interval between oil changes. I also recommend all synthetic oil for both the coach and generator.
How many miles on your coach?
Bill

98 Coachman w/V10
I put together a tub with belts, hoses, spare Alt and starter. Tools of course.
Roll of electrical wire, black tape, duct tape, (metal coat hangers for use as wire in the RV)
Some bungee cords, heater hose, clamps and 10' of fuel line.
I am the MacGyver of road side repairs.  8)
Added about 70 pounds to the load but I have the space and airbags.
Always wanted to carry a spare radiator, but just couldn't find a good stash spot for it.

Jeff in Minnesota said:
98 Coachman w/V10
I put together a tub with belts, hoses, spare Alt and starter. Tools of course.
Roll of electrical wire, black tape, duct tape, (metal coat hangers for use as wire in the RV)
Some bungee cords, heater hose, clamps and 10' of fuel line.
I am the MacGyver of road side repairs.  8)
Added about 70 pounds to the load but I have the space and airbags.
Always wanted to carry a spare radiator, but just couldn't find a good stash spot for it.

Good to be a MacGyver! You just never know when or what repair is needed! ;)

Back
Top Bottom