Your opinions Good or bad Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lawrence M

Just had a look at this coach. Still trying to decide. I would like all your input Good or bad.
http://www.woodysrv.com/showcase/rv/tour-42hd-4668

The Tour is a lovely coach. Whether it is the right choice for you, we can have no idea without some description of how you expect to use it, number of people, where you travel, etc. Most of the major questions involve choosing a floor plan (layout) that meets your needs/expectations.

We have a 2012 42 QD Tour and as Gary said I is a great coach. It is a lot of coach in terms of driving, getting in and out of RV parks, fuel stops. You need to ask yourself do I need this coach, do I need to spend that much money, would I be happy with a smaller or less expensive model? How comfortable are you driving the coach?  Ray

I would just say that there are a lot of high end used coaches out there for a lot less, and better quality. not sure if they have improved but our 06 Tour is in no way shape or form a High End coach.

That Gary sounds like he has experience.
Lawrence, hear is a idea I don't know if you would consider a slightly older coach but hear is something to look at. 2006 Newell Coach 45' They are asking $299,500 before you negotiate. That is over $100,000 off your other coach to start with and most will say it is a better maker than Winnebago. MUCH BETTER.
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/newell_coach/2006--newell--45--C1832
Hear are some other places  to look.
http://www.mhsrv.com/diesel-pusher-rvs/?keyword=Diesel%20Pusher&from=header

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/diesel-motorhomes.php

http://www.mcclainsrv.com/

But seriously go look at that 2006 Newell.
Bill

A 2006 versus a 2015? I would have a hard time choosing an older coach for that kind of money. $300,000 versus $400,000 and honestly you are in the price range of some very very nice coaches. We just left the Detroit RV show, (as we are shopping as well), and saw several Newmar's... Tiffins... that were in that price range that are literally palaces on wheels.

No offense.. but in that price range... you have a lot of high quality choices.

EdS said:
A 2006 versus a 2015? I would have a hard time choosing an older coach for that kind of money. $300,000 versus $400,000 and honestly you are in the price range of some very very nice coaches. We just left the Detroit RV show, (as we are shopping as well), and saw several Newmar's... Tiffins... that were in that price range that are literally palaces on wheels.

No offense.. but in that price range... you have a lot of high quality choices.
Just so you know.2016, 45′ ? Quad Slide Newell with Rear Master Bath and Mid Entry Door $1,851,677
or step up 2017, 45′ ? Quad Slide Newell with Rear Master Bath and Front Entry Door ?$2,011,073
No offense.. but there are high quality coaches and there are high quality coaches.  $299,500 before you negotiate on a 2006 Newell is well worth looking at.
Bill

Hi Lawrence,

Last year I went to Motorhomes of Texas in Nagadocious to look at a Newell Motorhome.  I was really into it's sleek modern period design but when I looked at it it felt cold and imposing.  The salesman told me they are fairly complex to operate so I looked around.

I found a pristine 2003 Foretravel U130. The former owners were meticulous.This coach is a Unibody so I don't worry about roof leaks. What I love about this coach is it looks like a little apartment.  I have only two slide outs but they are ample.  Storage is great. Basement  model.  Everything is easy to get to except the house batteries which are in the rear, underneath the bed which flips up.  They are in a tray bolted to the chassis almost between the back axels.  Needles to say, I am having jumper extensions put on them so I can get it jumped from the front if needed. It has a generator too.

This unit cost around $250,000+ remembering back then 250K was equivalent to 500K (I paid 120K) when built and is really high end. Bose stereo, electric this and that, mirrors on the ceiling (kinky) in the living room, side by side fridge, the counters and shower are finished in Corian, ceiling fan in the bedroom, huge double wardrobe and vanity too, the dinette and Swedish recliner are leather as are the sofa pillows.  Of course the passenger seat reclines to just about full flat.  The dinette does not fold down but the couch does and there is enough room on the floor for a mattress. I particularly like the water closet is not smack in the middle of the coach. The awning are  in perfect condition until I ripped the rear one off on the only tree along side my driveway.  To be fixed this month.  Insurance paid for it.

I mean this thing is wiz bang AND, it came with new tires all around,a washer and dryer combo, the interior is well thought out, all woodwork and doors are solid wood, 85000 miles on the odometer and it's a diesel 40' long, has duel rear axel.  The front (back wheel) can be lifted for tight turns.  Yes I have K turned this behemoth around in a country gas station. Great turning ratio, better then my Ford focus.

This is my 3rd Rv and my best one.  It is extremely easy to drive with cameras on the back and on the side when you put the blinkers on. I am a 67 year old , 5'4"  female and I have no problem driving this little beauty.

The ONLY problem I do have is  the driver seat does not move in far enough and I have to use a pillow behind my back.  To be fixed this month. Oh, and I haven't found a lumbar support on the drivers side yet.

I went to MH of Texas after doing months of research on sales, service, demeanor, what you get for what you get, that I can call 7 days a week and talk with a mechanic if necessary and even though I don't go there for repairs they are eager to help with any problem you have.  They seemed to me to be the best for what you get. (read best prices) I live in NC and flew to Texas. They have all kinds of beautiful and ostentatious rigs.  The Foretravel plant is just down the road too.

Finally,  I don't understand you wanting to spend so much money on a Palatial RV. if you are not new to RVing, most people sit in their rigs and watch TV. Why do you need all that other stuff.
Think about all the things you would be giving up just to support your RV. My motto has always been if I have to work OT to pay for my digs, then I need to rethink my digs.  You may be giving up some real travel opportunities.  There are so many new used RV's out there.

I waited years until I could afford this and to me it is NEW. But maybe you have that money burning a hole in your pocket.

If you hoping to rub elbows with the rich and famous I got news for you,  I worked with the rich and famous when I lived in LA, trust me, they may be rich and famous but their not particularly nice and they don't ever pick up the check!

Nagadocious is an historic town so take the time to wander around if you should go there.

Hope this helps, Peace out,
Stacey

Be careful about bells and whistles, the more you get, the more problems you have and be sure you know what all is involved with these giant motorhomes.

Why is it that the innovative layouts and cool new features are always on the "mid-grade"  units.

yes.... the Foretravel's and the Newell's are extremely well built and it's easy to see the quality

IMO....the high end rigs typically have very boring interior layouts.

Maybe the people with enough bucks to buy the high end units are more conservative? They also tend to be older, so their style preferences are those of a previous generation.

Those with really big bucks get their coaches custom-designed, e.g. a Newell or Marathon or Featherlight. They are in whatever style the buyer wanted.

And then, one man's "boring" is another man's "avante garde". Tastes differ widely.

I'm not sure why this thread turned into "is a Tour high end or not" debate, or if that in any way addresses the original question (it was rather open-ended). There are fancier coaches than a Tour, and better designed and built ones as well. And also many that are comparatively poorer.  Then there is the whole value question of new vs used.  With the massive depreciation in RVs, you can buy more coach for similar money (the 2006 Newell suggestion above), or a similar coach for less money if you buy used.  People buy used houses all the time, but when buying an RV many seem horrified at the thought of a used one. I think its the traditional wisdom of car buying that distorts their thinking. Because an RV has wheels, car-buyer mentality seems to take over, but an RV is much more like a house than a car.

FWIW it doesn't appear that anyone who has replied so far noticed that the OP posted a Canadian ad for that Tour.  With the current US-Canada exchange rate, that MH is being offered for ~$285k not $400k.  That does make some of the comparison comments a bit less relevant.

My point is if you are looking to spend $400.000 Canadian dollars it might be worth looking at some other options. I was looking for other Tour's to get an idea of what they were going for when I came across the Newell.
To the OP Lawrence M, I don't know what your level of experience is. The Tour is a nice coach but in my opinion they have inflated the price over the last few years. This may be to give them more room to come down in negotiations or what. I recommend you look at the links in my earlier  post and seriously look at the Newell as that is a lot of coach for the money.
As Gary has said there is a huge hit on depreciation when buying new.
Bill

docj said:
FWIW it doesn't appear that anyone who has replied so far noticed that the OP posted a Canadian ad for that Tour.  With the current US-Canada exchange rate, that MH is being offered for ~$285k not $400k.  That does make some of the comparison comments a bit less relevant.
Well yes I did. That is why I posted links to several retailers and hear is another some are at the list and some greatly reduced.
http://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Winnebago-Tour-RVs-For-Sale-On-RVT.com/results?manu=Winnebago&brand=Tour
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
That Gary sounds like he has experience.
Lawrence, hear is a idea I don't know if you would consider a slightly older coach but hear is something to look at. 2006 Newell Coach 45' They are asking $299,500 before you negotiate. That is over $100,000 off your other coach to start with and most will say it is a better maker than Winnebago. MUCH BETTER.
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/newell_coach/2006--newell--45--C1832
Hear are some other places  to look.
http://www.mhsrv.com/diesel-pusher-rvs/?keyword=Diesel%20Pusher&from=header
Thanks for the info and yes that is quite a difference in price except I would now be dealing with US dollars instead of Canadian. It is also 2000 miles away. But with that said I have not ruled out going State side. I just have not done the research yet on what it takes. That is another can of worms.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/diesel-motorhomes.php

http://www.mcclainsrv.com/

But seriously go look at that 2006 Newell.
Bill

This has really turned into something that is not what I wanted. I am going to spend to a max $500.000

This was not posted to get people upset about issues that are unimportant to me.
There is a lot of talk about better quality and better coaches. I wish I was not at the mercy of slick talking sales people.

In Canada we are in a depression and I feel I should be able to get the best bang for the buck. I have no intention of taking advantage of anybody.
However with that said I have talked with salesmen in our area that just had attended RV shows and they said things like. (Sales have never been better in the last 9 years) or
(we have topped out on our sales and may not have any left come spring)
However their lots are full.

On the local news tonight. The Repo centres are busy they have no slack times and are huge amounts of Vehicles Trucks Campers you name it just waiting to be picked up.
Bankruptcy are rampant in my area. It just happens that they don't have a trailer hitch on a hearse and it is hard to take it with  you.
But after reading all the comments on this post I am probably more confused now. As I am finding it harder to spend my quota.

I do appreciate the comments as tey have really given me something to think about.

staceythalmann said:
Hi Lawrence,

Last year I went to Motorhomes of Texas in Nagadocious to look at a Newell Motorhome.  I was really into it's sleek modern period design but when I looked at it it felt cold and imposing.  The salesman told me they are fairly complex to operate so I looked around.

I found a pristine 2003 Foretravel U130. The former owners were meticulous.This coach is a Unibody so I don't worry about roof leaks. What I love about this coach is it looks like a little apartment.  I have only two slide outs but they are ample.  Storage is great. Basement  model.  Everything is easy to get to except the house batteries which are in the rear, underneath the bed which flips up.  They are in a tray bolted to the chassis almost between the back axels.  Needles to say, I am having jumper extensions put on them so I can get it jumped from the front if needed. It has a generator too.

This unit cost around $250,000+ remembering back then 250K was equivalent to 500K (I paid 120K) when built and is really high end. Bose stereo, electric this and that, mirrors on the ceiling (kinky) in the living room, side by side fridge, the counters and shower are finished in Corian, ceiling fan in the bedroom, huge double wardrobe and vanity too, the dinette and Swedish recliner are leather as are the sofa pillows.  Of course the passenger seat reclines to just about full flat.  The dinette does not fold down but the couch does and there is enough room on the floor for a mattress. I particularly like the water closet is not smack in the middle of the coach. The awning are  in perfect condition until I ripped the rear one off on the only tree along side my driveway.  To be fixed this month.  Insurance paid for it.

I mean this thing is wiz bang AND, it came with new tires all around,a washer and dryer combo, the interior is well thought out, all woodwork and doors are solid wood, 85000 miles on the odometer and it's a diesel 40' long, has duel rear axel.  The front (back wheel) can be lifted for tight turns.  Yes I have K turned this behemoth around in a country gas station. Great turning ratio, better then my Ford focus.

This is my 3rd Rv and my best one.  It is extremely easy to drive with cameras on the back and on the side when you put the blinkers on. I am a 67 year old , 5'4"  female and I have no problem driving this little beauty.

The ONLY problem I do have is  the driver seat does not move in far enough and I have to use a pillow behind my back.  To be fixed this month. Oh, and I haven't found a lumbar support on the drivers side yet.

I went to MH of Texas after doing months of research on sales, service, demeanor, what you get for what you get, that I can call 7 days a week and talk with a mechanic if necessary and even though I don't go there for repairs they are eager to help with any problem you have.  They seemed to me to be the best for what you get. (read best prices) I live in NC and flew to Texas. They have all kinds of beautiful and ostentatious rigs.  The Foretravel plant is just down the road too.

Finally,  I don't understand you wanting to spend so much money on a Palatial RV. if you are not new to RVing, most people sit in their rigs and watch TV. Why do you need all that other stuff.
Think about all the things you would be giving up just to support your RV. My motto has always been if I have to work OT to pay for my digs, then I need to rethink my digs.  You may be giving up some real travel opportunities.  There are so many new used RV's out there.

I waited years until I could afford this and to me it is NEW. But maybe you have that money burning a hole in your pocket.

If you hoping to rub elbows with the rich and famous I got news for you,  I worked with the rich and famous when I lived in LA, trust me, they may be rich and famous but their not particularly nice and they don't ever pick up the check!

Nagadocious is an historic town so take the time to wander around if you should go there.

Hope this helps, Peace out,
Stacey

Be careful about bells and whistles, the more you get, the more problems you have and be sure you know what all is involved with these giant motorhomes.

Great comments thanks. If I could find what I want it would be a Prevost conversion, but the wife says no.

OK, so you are looking for a relatively fancy type coach, with many amenities.  I will reiterate that the Tour is a quite nice one, but as you have been told, it is not the only candidate. My personal choice was an American Tradition, and the American Revolution is in that price range too. Newmar Dutch Star and Monaco Diplomat are candidates as well, as is the Tiffin Allegro Bus.  You should shop around and see which ones have floor plans and amenities that you like, and what kind of deal you can strike on those you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom