A few favorites so far from 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rosebud3 said:
  After 32 years of graphic design and technical illustration, I switched to dog grooming (fell in love with dogs after my DH passed in '99). And now I'm looking ahead to retire, reconnect with photography, and hit the road.
Have you ever considered doing dog/pet portrait photography?  On March 21, I will be attending a 1/2 day seminar put on by Barbara Breitsameter, a national award winning dog photographer.  After the seminar I will have the opportunity to enjoy dinner and a glass of wine with Barbara and other Minnesota and Wisconsin pro photographers. (I love my PPA membership!) Here's a link to Barbara's web site:  http://poppybluephoto.com/  Barbara is a remarkable lady.  She has overcome the challenges of being a pro photographer with Parkinson's Disease.

Rosebud3 said:
Blue skies, wondering how the NT 21fbs is working out for you. It is on my very short list. Do you miss not having a couch?
Rosebud,  We still love our North Trail Caliber 21fbs.  DH and I both prefer the dinette over a sofa.  When we are inside we spend a lot of time on our laptops so we like the tabletop space.  This spring we will be taking our first 6+ week extended trip so we will see how that goes or if we will start thinking about trading up.

Hi Rosebud, I have been primarily using Nikon D800 and D810 bodies but also have an FM for film projects and reminding myself of the way things used to be :)

I also greatly enjoy the Nikon 1 series of cameras, currently have the V1 and AW1 - I had the V3 which was a wonderful little machine too but at the time I was not making any $ with it and I sold it.

I use a wide assortment of glass (Nikon, Sigma, Zeiss...) from 14mm to 500mm, pretty much all full frame versions, sometimes a PC (tilt shift) lens or teleconverter.  I buy virtually everything used and have found that if I buy top of the line used, I can enjoy it for a year or two and resell for basically no losses if I wish.

Currently eagerly awaiting a mid 80's manual focus 105mm to get back from service - the grease had dried up inside - one of the neat things about Nikon of course is that they allow you to use any lens from the latest all the way back to 1950's glass with their SLR's.  So you can have the latest body and sensor and enjoy vintage glass with it

I'd be happy to opine on used shopping if you have an idea of budget and what you'd like to shoot; high end bodies usually aren't required and will depreciate quickly unlike the pro glass  :)

There is nothing like "pro" glass.  It's all about the GLASS!  Bodies are the "throw-aways".....razors are the throw-aways......razor blades are what you pay for.....GLASS is what you pay for.

I didn't see any light-weight point-and-shoot watchamagigic on the moon landing, did you?

It was carl zeiss glass on the best medium format system of its day, hasselblad.....not Nikon, not Canon and not Leica....

It's all about the GLASS!

Let's all kick back and meditate.........it's all about the glass....it's all about the glass...

I, do, feel better now. ;)

75sling

MN Blue Skies said:
Have you ever considered doing dog/pet portrait photography?  On March 21, I will be attending a 1/2 day seminar put on by Barbara Breitsameter, a national award winning dog photographer. Here's a link to Barbara's web site:  http://poppybluephoto.com/  Barbara is a remarkable lady.
Rosebud,  We still love our North Trail Caliber 21fbs.  DH and I both prefer the dinette over a sofa.  When we are inside we spend a lot of time on our laptops so we like the tabletop space.  This spring we will be taking our first 6+ week extended trip so we will see how that goes

I'm interested in nature photography leaning toward abstract  images. Did look at Barbara's web site. Really nice photos.

Re the 21fbs. I just wish the table was not "built-in." I'd rather one with folding legs that I could remove and/or take outside.

Rosebud3 said:
I'm interested in nature photography leaning toward abstract  images.
Regarding abstract nature photography, would you be editing in Lightroom and/or Photoshop?  I'm sure you already know that RAW is more versatile for editing images.  I love doing composites!

Rosebud3 said:
Re the 21fbs. I just wish the table was not "built-in." I'd rather one with folding legs that I could remove and/or take outside.

I think our dinette table can be removed but I'm not absolutely sure.  I know it doesn't have folding legs but for us that's okay because we prefer to use a folding table or picnic table outdoors instead of the hauling out the dinette table.

One from tonight at our winter campsite

Is anyone else having trouble with the images being too big for their displays?  I'm used to photo websites and Facebook where I post much larger and higher quality versions...

Attachments

• CGP_7660_2.jpg
    CGP_7660_2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 42
I did hear you the first time - I'm wondering if there are actually other people out there still using such a low resolution on their computers.  I'm on a small older laptop and they take up only a portion of my screen

workerdrone said:
I did hear you the first time - I'm wondering if there are actually other people out there still using such a low resolution on their computers.  I'm on a small older laptop and they take up only a portion of my screen
That is not the resolution people are using on their computers. That is the maximum amount of space left over after the margins eat up a lot of the horizontal resolution. Here is what I am seeing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-02-29 at 11.png
    Screenshot 2016-02-29 at 11.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 49
OK, I checked on my iPad and I do have to scroll, so there I guess the 1024 pixel images are too large for this forum's software - that would be annoying.

I'm just wondering if folks other than Tom have the same issue.  1024 and less than 350k already seems extremely low quality to me which is why I'm hesitant to go lower - I understand why this forum would keep the limits so low though since many of us do not have unlimited internet or high speeds

workerdrone said:
OK, I checked on my iPad and I do have to scroll, so there I guess the 1024 pixel images are too large for this forum's software - that would be annoying.

I'm just wondering if folks other than Tom have the same issue.  1024 and less than 350k already seems extremely low quality to me which is why I'm hesitant to go lower - I understand why this forum would keep the limits so low though since many of us do not have unlimited internet or high speeds
If you want to post a larger image then use a photo hosting site like Photobucket and post a link. Also if people could post larger images then for many people a page full of large images would take forever to load.

Well, folks are always welcome to visit my FB or my official website if they want to see better pix; I'm here to learn about RV's and fulltiming and maybe return the favor by sharing some photo knowledge  :)

One from last night - about 3 ? hours after sunset, so this is actually light pollution, not a sunset :)

(edit) it's a shame you can't really see the stars very well in this small format; I think they kind of make the image

Attachments

• CGP_7762_DxO.jpg
    CGP_7762_DxO.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 37
Thanks both :)  This is one of those images where I was shocked to see the lcd after the exposure - where the camera reveals things you can't even come close to seeing with the naked eye.

A few more recent shots, all in FL, we're currently in the panhandle and headed West -

Some wildlife shots (owl chasing crow was practically in the dark) and the most recent rocket launch from Cape Canaveral

We love Florida!  ;D

Attachments

• AtlasV_launch-27.jpg
    AtlasV_launch-27.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 24
  • AtlasV_launch-17.jpg
    AtlasV_launch-17.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 25
  • CGP_8138.jpg
    CGP_8138.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 25
  • CGP_8112.jpg