Outside fencing for multiple animals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amen

We will soon be traveling fulltime with 3 dogs and two cats. Not sure how it will all work out but we will make it happen. The dogs are all over 10 yo. One is a fairly big dog..Bernice mountain dog..but the others are small (beagle and a King Charles spaniel). All the "puppities" (puppies and kitties) get along with each other. 

My question is...does anyone have or use fencing for their animals while they are parked? What or how is the fencing made? We plan to travel a bit rather than be in one spot for more than a couple weeks at a time. Would like something very portable and light weight?

The kitties...they will need to be on leashes and harness if going outside.

You are going to have a lot of problems. A lot of RV parks and campgrounds have a limit of three pets. Most all campgrounds do not allow leaving pets unattended outside even if they are in a fenced in area. Many campgrounds have a weight limit of twenty pounds on any pet. So good luck making it happen. Any campground that would allow your combination is one I would not want to stay in.

SeilerBird said:
You are going to have a lot of problems. A lot of RV parks and campgrounds have a limit of three pets. Most all campgrounds do not allow leaving pets unattended outside even if they are in a fenced in area. Many campgrounds have a weight limit of twenty pounds on any pet. So good luck making it happen. Any campground that would allow your combination is one I would not want to stay in.

I totally agree with you.

SeilerBird said:

Pretty much although in our travels we have not encountered a weight limit.  Evidently they exist, but from our perspective weight has not been an issue.  Unless you want to put your cats outside, I can't imagine you taking a hit on a pet limit if they are contained in your unit.  We thought about a fencing system as well.  The problem is to make it viable you would need to drive some kind of stake system into the ground and many campgrounds do not permit that, so we abandoned the idea.

SeilerBird said:

I've seen many posts on this with multiple animals (OVER 3) and they haven't said much about it? But I'm sure it's true in most parks.

Gizmo said:
We thought about a fencing system as well.  The problem is to make it viable you would need to drive some kind of stake system into the ground and many campgrounds do not permit that, so we abandoned the idea.

So what did you do to solve the problem?

amyken said:
I've seen many posts on this with multiple animals (OVER 3) and they haven't said much about it? But I'm sure it's true in most parks.
I am sure the successful ones kept their mouths shut and their animals indoors. Putting them outside in a fenced area and some nosy neighbor will complain.

amyken said:
does anyone have or use fencing for their animals while they are parked?
We now have a fence because someone my SO knows gave it to her, no matter how much I protested. We have yet to use it - made of powder coated steel and looks to be self-standing, but large and heavy, even dismantled. I'm hoping to be "allowed" to give it away at some point  ::)

We have run into multiple parks that do not allow pet enclosures whether or not the pets are unattended, and even more that allow no more than 2 pets (in fact I would say a majority have this latter restriction). We even ran across one that stated you couldn't leave a pet unattended even in your coach! (We ignored that and went to dinner anyway.) That rule certainly stemmed from someone who left their barking dog to bother their neighbors.

I hate to pile on but agree that you are going to run in to a lot of parks that will refuse entrance. You could probably get away with "hiding" them in the coach and never having more than a couple outside, but you do risk ejection and loss of $$ if you run across a park that enforces their rules, and/or if they receive a complaint.

amyken said:
So what did you do to solve the problem?

I spliced up a 10' poly rope with a standard leash snap on one end and a larger snap hook on the other end.  Depending on the lay of the land I either hook it to an eyelet I installed on my trailer or around a stationary object on our site and can shorten if necessary.  We now have two dogs so a little more planning is involved to prevent them getting tangled, but so far has been doable.  We are mindful of the requirement at all campgrounds pets are not to be left unattended and in any case we would never leave our pets unattended anyway.  So our goal is to allow them a bit more freedom to explore than a leash affords, to have them secured without us having to hold the leash and to contain them when both of us go into the trailer briefly.  For this the ropes so far have worked well.

Gizmo said:
I spliced up a 10' poly rope with a standard leash snap on one end and a larger snap hook on the other end.  Depending on the lay of the land I either hook it to an eyelet I installed on my trailer or around a stationary object on our site and can shorten if necessary.  We now have two dogs so a little more planning is involved to prevent them getting tangled, but so far has been doable.  We are mindful of the requirement at all campgrounds pets are not to be left unattended and in any case we would never leave our pets unattended anyway.  So our goal is to allow them a bit more freedom to explore than a leash affords, to have them secured without us having to hold the leash and to contain them when both of us go into the trailer briefly.  For this the ropes so far have worked well.
OP - be aware there are parks that will enforce the six foot leash rule if you do that.

Our dog is less than 20 lbs and we use two small exercise pens end to end. They come with stakes, but we never use them. The pens will stay up without them. We run a small plastic fence from the garden dept at HD along the edge of the MH so Max can't go under. It allows us to be outside with him and not have to keep untangling the leash. We don't put it up it up when we're traveling, only when we're stopping for more than a few days. In our travels we have seen all kinds of sizes and up to three dogs at a time. The 6 foot leash is a good rule, and should be enforced, but I don't see the rule enforced very often.

You can get exercise pens at Petsmart, Petco, etc., or can probably find them online cheaper.  Easy to transport.  We cut some plastic lattice to put under the steps to link them together.

There are some parks that restrict the number of pets allowed, but many don't.  Check out the parks pet policy online, or call and ask before you arrive.  Some allow multiple pets, but don't allow ex-pens.  It seems like it's more difficult to find multiple pet friendly parks in the western US.

Attachments

• IMG_20160204_162342824_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160204_162342824_HDR.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 72
TheNewhalls said:
Our dog is less than 20 lbs and we use two small exercise pens end to end. They come with stakes, but we never use them. The pens will stay up without them. We run a small plastic fence from the garden dept at HD along the edge of the MH so Max can't go under. It allows us to be outside with him and not have to keep untangling the leash. We don't put it up it up when we're traveling, only when we're stopping for more than a few days. In our travels we have seen all kinds of sizes and up to three dogs at a time. The 6 foot leash is a good rule, and should be enforced, but I don't see the rule enforced very often.

We would have to stake a fence down as our male is 110 pounds and our 7-month old is 70 pounds and would easily be able to move the fencing.  The 6' leash rule is a fair one, but I suspect it is meant to keep dogs from exploring the neighbors campsite or getting too close to walking paths and perhaps intimidating or making a nuisance of themselves with passerby's.  We have never had the 6' lead enforced on us, but we are careful to place it and/or shorten it so as not to impact fellow campers and we other than the quick trip to the head or to grab a cold one stay outside with them.

Actually just came across this idea, too. Using a screened in tent as a pet coral.  http://www.technomadia.com/full-time-rving-workspaces/boondock-marketing/

We travel with 3  chihuahuas, and have two fences thingys that hook together, they love it and can be outdoors without being on a leash, we always use this and the poop is easier to clean up  as it is in the fenced area.. They would probably not work for large dogs and I don't think anything would work for a cat except maybe a large kennel or crate with a top and bottom. We have never had a problem taking animals with us, we even took a bottle baby goat once and he was the hit of the campground, all the kids  (and many adults including the camp hosts had to drop by and see and pet him.

I'm a bit late to this discussion - I've been tied up with a project.
We use fence panels bought from Ebay.  They come from 24" high to 48". and are 30"wide. They come in sets of eight panels, one of them has a gate.
We have two sets of 30" high. They only take about ten minutes to setup.
Never had a problem setting up at an RV park but we are from Canada and I think the rules are a bit looser up here.
This picture is from a dog show we were setup at, but the fences can be configured to any size space we have.
I don't leave the dogs out unless we are out there with them.  They only time they are alone is if I go inside for more coffee or wine.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 122
cpurves said:
We use fence panels bought from Ebay.  They come from 24" high to 48". and are 30"wide. They come in sets of eight panels, one of them has a gate.
Never had a problem setting up at an RV park but we are from Canada and I think the rules are a bit looser up here.
This picture is from a dog show we were setup at, but the fences can be configured to any size space we have.
I don't leave the dogs out unless we are out there with them.  They only time they are alone is if I go inside for more coffee or wine.

Nice looking fencing.  It looks like your fencing is substantial enough to allow set-up and contain dogs without the need for driving stakes or rods into the ground which is at least frowned upon if not prohibited in many RV parks.  I will have to look for them.

cpurves said:

That looks like a good solution, too! We are also looking at these:

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/vacationr.html

We have what looks like the same fence as cpurves showed at our current park model site. It contains 2 small dogs well, but your Bernese could probably take it out if it felt so inclined. Same with a screen room - a properly motivated pooch would shimmy under the side panels or chew right through it.

When we traveled, we usually just tied a line to the bumper or the picnic table. Sometimes one on each since they'd get tangled up if we tied them together. ;)

NickB said:
We have what looks like the same fence as cpurves showed at our current park model site. It contains 2 small dogs well, but your Bernese could probably take it out if it felt so inclined. Same with a screen room - a properly motivated pooch would shimmy under the side panels or chew right through it.

When we traveled, we usually just tied a line to the bumper or the picnic table. Sometimes one on each since they'd get tangled up if we tied them together. ;)

The puppies are pretty docile and don't dig or push on the fence we have them in in the backyard now. Plus there would be a plastic mat under the patio room to keep their paws clean. ;)

We will have a trial run this summer here in MN on a relatives farm to see how the animals do. :/

Back
Top Bottom