Outside fencing for multiple animals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gizmo said:
Nice looking fencing.  It looks like your fencing is substantial enough to allow set-up and contain dogs without the need for driving stakes or rods into the ground which is at least frowned upon if not prohibited in many RV parks.  I will have to look for them.
Yes, no need for stakes we just set them on the ground. 
I found them by searching for pet fence on ebay. I think you can get them on Amazon as well.
Two sets were less than $200. 00 delivered in Canada.

I found them, too. This seems like it would be perfect for us.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-8-Panel-Dog-Barrier-Fence-Metal-PlayPen-Kennel-Cage-Pet-Outdoor-Indoor-x-2-/371581895935?hash=item568401c4ff:g:Vu0AAOSwdU1W8e22

amyken said:
I found them, too. This seems like it would be perfect for us.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-8-Panel-Dog-Barrier-Fence-Metal-PlayPen-Kennel-Cage-Pet-Outdoor-Indoor-x-2-/371581895935?hash=item568401c4ff:g:Vu0AAOSwdU1W8e22

I found these. 40" high 8 panels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxgord-Dog-Pet-Playpen-Heavy-Duty-Metal-Exercise-Yard-Fence-Hammigrid-8-Panel-/351162076796?var=&hash=item51c2e40e7c:m:mPOODE3LuEM578WWYJcl9Lg

70 bucks a set. Lots cheaper.

cpurves said:
Yes, no need for stakes we just set them on the ground. 
I found them by searching for pet fence on ebay. I think you can get them on Amazon as well.
Two sets were less than $200. 00 delivered in Canada.

Thank you I will check it out.

cpurves said:
I found these. 40" high 8 panels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxgord-Dog-Pet-Playpen-Heavy-Duty-Metal-Exercise-Yard-Fence-Hammigrid-8-Panel-/351162076796?var=&hash=item51c2e40e7c:m:mPOODE3LuEM578WWYJcl9Lg

70 bucks a set. Lots cheaper.

The tubing on these is 1/2" ? Not very strong but maybe don't need it that strong?

amyken said:
The tubing on these is 1/2" ? Not very strong but maybe don't need it that strong?

Ours are 1/2" not a problem with strength and they are lighter to handle too.
We have had our daughter's two standard poodles inside the fence. They have both had their legs up on the fence with no problems.

Has anyone used the invisible fencing From Pet Safe

http://store.petsafe.net/wireless-pet-containment-system-refurbished?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=XWF15-11801&gclid=CMX52vGn6csCFQwxaQodoAYFdQ

Is there a way to train the pets so they know what the limits are? With the buried wire system,  they have an audible and visual to learn by. It seems like every time you moved,  they would have to learn all over again. No fun for the pets at all.

I am jumping in here a little late but I made a fence out of 3/4-inch PVC and plastic snow fence.  It works well with our Shih Tzu dogs.  We would never leave them alone in there but it is so much better than tangled leashes when we want to sit outside.  Each panel is about 40 inches wide by 30 inches tall (I don't recall the exact dimensions but I wanted to get the most out of each 10-ft PVC length I could.  The snow fence is simply 'laced' to the frame with nylon twine.  There are a total of twelve frames with four wire tied together so they can be folded up together.  The final product is light and doesn't rust but is a little bulky.  If need be we use fiberglass rods to hold it in place but they are rarely needed. 

Attachments

• Dog fence.JPG
    Dog fence.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 49
I just have to throw this in here...

Scotty, the dog I had in grade school would jump over all those fences from a standing start. I had to train him young that he was supposed to stay closer to me than any strangers.

nineoaks2004 said:
We travel with 3  chihuahuas, and have two fences thingys that hook together, they love it and can be outdoors without being on a leash, we always use this and the poop is easier to clean up  as it is in the fenced area.. They would probably not work for large dogs and I don't think anything would work for a cat except maybe a large kennel or crate with a top and bottom. We have never had a problem taking animals with us, we even took a bottle baby goat once and he was the hit of the campground, all the kids  (and many adults including the camp hosts had to drop by and see and pet him.

We have 3 chihuahuas as well, and I would love to know more about your fences! What are they made of, or where did you get them? My dogs don't do very well on leashes for prolonged periods of time, but we also don't want them roaming free. I think your idea is just what we have been looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

cpurves said:
I'm a bit late to this discussion - I've been tied up with a project.
We use fence panels bought from Ebay.  They come from 24" high to 48". and are 30"wide. They come in sets of eight panels, one of them has a gate.
We have two sets of 30" high. They only take about ten minutes to setup.
Never had a problem setting up at an RV park but we are from Canada and I think the rules are a bit looser up here.
This picture is from a dog show we were setup at, but the fences can be configured to any size space we have.
I don't leave the dogs out unless we are out there with them.  They only time they are alone is if I go inside for more coffee or wine.

cpurves, I'd love to know what you did behind your steps to keep them from going under.

Here's what I did for extending the barrier behind the stairs.  I got a sheet of plastic lattice from the home improvement store, and cut it out so the step supports are in a slot. 

Attachments

• Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 21
chindog said:
Here's what I did for extending the barrier behind the stairs.  I got a sheet of plastic lattice from the home improvement store, and cut it out so the step supports are in a slot.

Good idea, thanks.

If dogs are already grown, may be too late for this idea, but if you have (or plan to get) a puppy, it's easy to train them to stay behind a baby gate enclosure, or an exercise pen.

We have a big German shepherd who will stay inside an exercise pen, not staked in the ground. We started this when we brought her home at 8 weeks. She tried mightily to push it around or knock it over, but she was too little. Within a few weeks she was fine with it. Now she will go in when asked, she just knows it's her place and stays in. Very handy for traveling.

We also never leave her unattended and she obviously could get out. It's just handy to have if we want to sit outside with her or need to run in for coffee, etc as others mentioned. By the way, We signed a contract with the breeder when we bought her that we would never tie her to a tree!

When we were able to go rving, we had 3 poms, all rescue animals that we took everywhere we went. They were very well behaved and never caused a problem. At that time we used a childs pack and play type play pen. If we were outside and not walking them, they were happy to lie in the pen and be outside with us. Then we got a 4th pom....pack and play was getting crowded so we purchased 2 foldable accordion style pens from pets r us. Got 4 plastic fence posts with little spike on end that you just take your foot and push down in the ground and some plastic cable ties and one small piece of lattice cut to fit around steps of rv. The pen would stand on its own. We purchased the plastic fence posts due to all the children that would stop by and want to try and lean on the fence to try and pet the dogs. One other thing that we did which I don't know if you thought of it was, I took all my pets records from my vet with us. Just in case, god forbid, something would happen. I still have one of the last of the 4 dogs, (18 year old pom). Then another rescued pom (12yr old) and a affiepoo (@7 yrs old) now. I wouldn't hesitate taking these dogs with me if I could pack up and go tomorrow. We do have a cat now...she adopted us! So after two litters of kittens (which we found homes for) I took her and had her fixed, so guess she now belongs to us. There is no way I would take her with us...she hates to ride in the car so rving for her is out of the question. I would have make other arrangements for her. She wouldn't be happy if I took her and I probably wouldn't be either. Any how Good luck and happy travels!

Back
Top Bottom