4x4 trip, Tuesday, Quartzsite Rally 07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron from Big D

Moderator Emeritus
    Today, I led a group of 4x4 vehicles out to the Southern Cross and Climax Mines.  Trip took a total of 5 hours including lunch and explorations.  We had 7 vehicles in the group.  The day started with a chilly 31 degrees at 7:00 am, but was considerably warmer at 10:00 am when we departed. Skies were clear.  Each new day of the rally is getting a little warmer.
Bernie Dobrin was the tail gunner, as usual.

While having lunch at the slabs, just a short distance before arriving at the Southern Cross, we were joined by another group of Single RV'ers.  Biggest crowd we have ever seen on our annual 4x4 forays into the desert.  We ended up with 34 vehicles.  They included SUV's, motorcycles and quads.  I have attached a few photos of the trip showing our group before departure, lunch showing the other folks that joined us, the Southern Cross  & Climax mine and a little scenery.

Attachments

• Southern X Mine 001 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 001 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Southern X Mine 019 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 019 (Medium).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 79
  • Southern X Mine 021 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 021 (Medium).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Southern X Mine 026 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 026 (Medium).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Southern X Mine 029 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 029 (Medium).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Southern X Mine 037 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 037 (Medium).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Southern X Mine 047 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 047 (Medium).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Southern X Mine 017 (Medium).jpg
    Southern X Mine 017 (Medium).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Ron for reminding me of what I'm missing.  We are hoping to come out Sat AM and bring our goodies  for the Eve's festivities and then return here Sat PM late.  Things here have become hectic with the Sale of 1 of our park models and I don;'t want to be gone if the $ are here.  I think all will understand and will make it if at all possible. Great  Pics BTW

Ron,

Thanks for making me feel left out. :) Sure looks like a brown desert compared to the last time I saw it!!

That's a lot of vehicles to be at the Southern Cross at the same time!!! Hope you took turns going up that trail. :) Looks like the barrier is gone from the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for posting those photos.  Reminds me when Jim Dick and I took the Nathans out there on their first off road trip with them driving their own Jeep GC.  Looks like all had a great time.

Sure looks like a brown desert compared to the last time I saw it!!

Jim, you're really correct.  I've never seen octotillos in January with no green leaves and no blossoms!  Ours in LV are the same way.  You'd think they were all dead if you didn't know better!  I've seen a lot of dead ocotillos (dead, as in fallen to the ground) and the chollas don't look all that great either.  But our drive yesterday was nice and fun.  Missed some of you "regulars."

ArdraF

Jim:

It is definitely brown again.  The Southern Cross still has a barrier in the back of the tunnel.  The shot into the hole was at the Climax mine.  Sure wish you were here.

Hi Ardra,

We sure were fortunate to have seen the desert two years ago in full bloom. Showed some of my photos of the flowers to the owner of a local gallery. She really liked some of them. We miss being there but we're having a good winter at "home". Weather has really been great this year.

Ron,

I'm still looking at the photos I took two years ago of all the flowers. Probably will never see that again.

Haven't been to the Climax mine in a while. Not sure I remember seeing that shaft. They say the mind is the first to go. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom