Brilliant screen door for toy hauler / garage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

My golly! My genius excels again! Who needs an expensive toy hauler garage screen door kit when some neodymium magnets and the 8'x10' mesh tarp from Harbor Freight form an excellent bug barrier?!?!?!?!?!?

Our plan is to sew the magnets into the hem or seam of the tarp so set up or tear down is beyond simple and easy.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 150
You are right, supermanotorious, that is pure genius.  :D

I didn't even know such a thing as a "mesh tarp" existed. Thanks for the photo.

Check out the reviews for each of the different mesh tarps on Harbor Freight's website. The negative ones mostly talk about crooked hems and weak grommets. There is nothing to be said for a crooked hem but grommets need multiplied to hold effectively. I've done a lot of tarp projects and have had to triple the number of grommets around any of them to get them spread tight as a snare drum and hold up to strong wind. Then if you look at the positive reviews, several people say their tarps have lasted many years. You can throw the 20% off coupon at these tarps making them a score.

Yesterday I got these magnets from Home Depot and started sewing them to the top edge, 8 hold it up there strongly but I'll add a few more for a better bug proof seal. These magnets allow for easier sewing since I do not need to sew them "in" the seam. I'm using polyester thread for outdoor applications. If this tarp ever fails, I can salvage my neodymium magnets and do it again!

There is an "As Seen On TV" screen door it uses two curtains with magnets down the center seam.. They make one Garage size too.. Just in case anyone is interested.. NOTE: This is the extent of my knowledge on the product. Have only seen adds. not even considered the product, No need.

John From Detroit said:
There is an "As Seen On TV" screen door it uses two curtains with magnets down the center seam.. They make one Garage size too.. Just in case anyone is interested.. NOTE: This is the extent of my knowledge on the product. Have only seen adds. not even considered the product, No need.

I have one of those at the house and it is the best $25 I have ever spent!  The dog can let himself in and out. I always thought if I ever got a toy hauler I would sew two of them together to make a screen door. Didn't know they made them in garage size!

Get us a link for that as seen on deal please. Check out this pic looking out. Please remember this is a work in progress. I'm actually thinking it might work better in "landscape" orientation. Need to see if my wife or my mom is willing to cut and hem it to fit. I aint sayin this work is for women exclusively. I'm just saying I've been working my tail off on welding tow accessories to the frame in addition to stabilizing jacks and repairing the loft bed, reworking the trailer electrical AND plumbing. Fair is fair- right?

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 60
I noticed while sleeping in the loft bed recently that I could feel a draft coming in from the top edge of the drop door, any tips on sealing that up?

My mom came by last night and I cut the tarp and helped her sew the hem. By the time we finished all we could do was verify the fit. I cant wait to see the finished product. I plan to sew more magnets on evenings this week.

Honestly, this As Seen on TV model looks like a piece of crap

http://www.asseenontv.com/instant-garage-door-screen-single/detail.php?p=294440

I just noticed my link above for the magnets does not work, here it is

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-3-4-in-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-Discs-3-per-Pack-07091HD/202526387

All done except for trimming threads! I decided to learn how to sew, I split the seams, slid the magnets in, sewed them shut. I tried hand stitching at first but realized there will be a bit of friction on the material where the magnets are so this would be tougher and longer lasting.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 16
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 14
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG