Electric powered bicycles or scooters.... let's see them!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeaverCrap

I always get into conversations with folks at RV parks about my lithium powered mountain bike with the trailer and wagon I tow with my kids and all of our stuff.....So who out there has them? Lets see some pics. I'll start....

Attachments

• bike trailer wagon.jpg
    bike trailer wagon.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 167
  • bike trailer.jpg
    bike trailer.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 148
  • lithium powered.jpg
    lithium powered.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 146
Greetings,

Bought my electric bike a while back. Plan on taking it with us as we travel and may buy the second bike if my wife has an interest.
I can go an easy 25 miles on this. A bit heavy but battery gets me home if I get tired of peddling. Besides travel will be riding it for exercise when at home bade.
Best!

Attachments

• EGElectricBike.jpg
    EGElectricBike.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 121
I love my electric assist bicycle. I use a simple front wheel kit that I had on first my retro beach Schwinn and now on my ultra comfy Day 6 bicycle. Just moved the electric kit over and kept right on biking.

I bought my electric kit on Amazon after tons of research and I am plenty happy with it.
http://amzn.to/1mWwHgU

I love riding every day now! The elec kit gives me the confidence to keep on going.

I have included 3 pics of the new Day 6 bicycle I just love and 1 pic of my old Schwinn starter bike. Ironically both are same color. I moved most of my bling over from the old Schwinn to the new Day 6.

I'm a big kid now and I'm loving it!

Attachments

• Day 6 Bicycle with elec kit_Picture.jpg
    Day 6 Bicycle with elec kit_Picture.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Day 6 blinged out_Picture.JPG
    Day 6 blinged out_Picture.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 98
  • Day 6 rear view_Picture.JPG
    Day 6 rear view_Picture.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 82
  • Schwinn with elec kit at beach_Picture.JPG
    Schwinn with elec kit at beach_Picture.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 107
Schwinn folding electric, great bike, dont need bike rack, folds up and goes into side storage compartment

Attachments

• aswinn1.jpg
    aswinn1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 110
vmax1 said:
Schwinn folding electric, great bike, dont need bike rack, folds up and goes into side storage compartment

Where did you buy the Schwinn from?

The little Schwinn electric bike looks cute as can be, but I don't think you can get any real exercise from it with those tiny tires.

But it does look fun!

However, in trying to research where to buy one, the only other one I could find a guy bought in Canada and had a lot of problems with his. First he had it replaced and later returned and refunded due to multiple problems.

He called his a
Schwinn AL1020 Folding Electric Bike

The white one is my wifes, the black beast is mine,

Attachments

• 2015-BMWcruiseebike.jpg
    2015-BMWcruiseebike.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20150722_143743.jpg
    IMG_20150722_143743.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 94
Rickiani;
    I've got an electric fat bike too, Radrover---I believe the same as yours. In the highest assist mode, it effectively becomes a motorcycle.

The only difference between the RadRover and mine in the mid drive, which uses the gears to multiply the electric assist, the hub drive is a single speed assist. Either way the fat bike is a blast, isn't it!

The fat bike is a 48 volt 1000 watt mid drive, pedal assist stops at 50 MPH. The White one has a Bosch mid drive, and pedal assist tops out at 33 MPH.

The fat bike freaks car drivers out when leave them in  dust when the light turns green!

rickeoni said:
The only difference between the RadRover and mine in the mid drive, which uses the gears to multiply the electric assist, the hub drive is a single speed assist. Either way the fat bike is a blast, isn't it!

The fat bike is a 48 volt 1000 watt mid drive, pedal assist stops at 50 MPH. The White one has a Bosch mid drive, and pedal assist tops out at 33 MPH.

The fat bike freaks car drivers out when leave them in  dust when the light turns green!

:eek:    50MPH and 1000 watts....holy crap!! That sounds insane..... Mine is only 300 watts and 36 volts but I am thinking about adding a second battery, a second throttle (for my left hand thumb) and another hub motor/wheel assembly on the front.

People do get a little freaked when they see me go up a steep incline with 2 kids in the trailer and a radio flyer wagon behind that filled with our stuff.... believe me there is some serious pedaling to do with only 300 watts up hill....adding the second motor to the front wheel would make hills easier and probably increase my range too.

I am digging everyone's different setups....keep em coming!

One of the best moments on my Radrover yet, came on a day when, in succession, I came up from behind on a group of 4 preteens riding expensive off road "x" bikes and passed them with ease while pedaling (can't really hear the motor) and the looks I got from them;  followed a few minutes later as I did the same thing to a small street bike club (5 members) riding single file drafting in all their glorious Italian biking togs at the peak of their breathless sweaty ability. An old fat guy in shorts and flip-flops casually pedaling by on an obviously heavier bike. I've gotten a lot of positive comments on the bike. It's a blast.

rickeoni said:

Did you make yours or did you buy it complete?

An e-bike I built for commuting to work...
Top speed never pushed though most days hit 40mph quick and easy.

Attachments

• anthemxr_600.jpg
    anthemxr_600.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 59
ga80486 said:
Did you make yours or did you buy it complete?

The white bike we bought complete, it is a line we sell at work. The fat bike is a complete bike that I purchased from a local buke builder. White one is all German made and runs like a fine watch, Black one is just shy of insane, my son has had it up over 70 at which point he was free wheeling the pedals.

rickeoni said:
had it up over 70 at which point he was free wheeling the pedals.
A road bike's large chainring goes freewheel near 40mph ... to have any assist factor at 70mph I'd guess 90+ toothed custom chainring with a radius as long or longer than the pedal arms.

My first commuter type donor bike taught me that speeds over about 25-30, in typical city street bike lanes, wasn't a good combination for emergency stops. Rubber must stay in contact with road surface to stop! It's surprising how skinny tires skip over rough asphalt and crap on the side of the road when trying to brake at speeds above 30mph. Suspension, grippy fat tires and disk brakes helped with stopping (nicer ride too).

I urge anyone thinking about building/retrofitting a bicycle powered at city street speeds, to use the best parts possible and design it for the purpose. People don't expect bicycles to be moving that fast so the need for defensive riding increases greatly. I also suggest skipping even the best bicycle frame and think motorcycle parts for speeds above 35mph.

How stable are those things at 70? I guess the fat tires make it ok...that is insanely fast for a bicycle.

With the bike trailer behind me my top speed was 24mph....I won't go faster than that with my daughters on board...even though she yells at me when I go too slow.. Go Dadda go!! I've not done a top speed run alone yet... I'd imagine with pedaling I could get it up to 30 or so.....

90% of the time we are riding around a campground... the only time I can get good speed is when we go to a local state park with large wide bike trails.

Attachments

• molly bike lake minewaska.jpg
    molly bike lake minewaska.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 52
  • molly minewaska waterfall.jpg
    molly minewaska waterfall.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 34
  • molly top of minewaska.jpg
    molly top of minewaska.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 31
  • hittin the off road trail.jpg
    hittin the off road trail.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 30
  • molly bike trailer.jpg
    molly bike trailer.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 27
    My fatbike will cruise over anything, rocks, gravel, sand, soft tall grass, mud, snow, sticks, etc.. I can run 5 psi in the tires for the soft stuff requiring grip. At 10 psi, these tires are very stable on the streets; small patches of dirt, sand, gravel, etc. are no issue. The disc braking is very efficient, cornering is easy, and the speed attainable is mindblowing to people watching you fly by on a bicycle. I now ride it more frequently than I do my home converted street bike(see Dearmissmermaid's posts for the same conversion kit) which is fun and lighter than my Radrover. By the way, my self converted e-bike has belt drive rather than chain. I think it's the future for casual cruisers.

TyCreek said:
A road bike's large chainring goes freewheel near 40mph ... to have any assist factor at 70mph I'd guess 90+ toothed custom chainring with a radius as long or longer than the pedal arms.

My first commuter type donor bike taught me that speeds over about 25-30, in typical city street bike lanes, wasn't a good combination for emergency stops. Rubber must stay in contact with road surface to stop! It's surprising how skinny tires skip over rough asphalt and crap on the side of the road when trying to brake at speeds above 30mph. Suspension, grippy fat tires and disk brakes helped with stopping (nicer ride too).

I urge anyone thinking about building/retrofitting a bicycle powered at city street speeds, to use the best parts possible and design it for the purpose. People don't expect bicycles to be moving that fast so the need for defensive riding increases greatly. I also suggest skipping even the best bicycle frame and think motorcycle parts for speeds above 35mph.

That was my 20 something YO son, going downhill just to try it out. I am a little older and slightly less insane. We built this bike to haul my large frame up hills, as my wife and I like to ride alot. We live by a forest and a greenway and we hardly ever ride on paved streets. Years of riding a motorcycle has taught me to be very alert when on any two wheeled device.

My DW is very aware of the speeds she rides and I just use enough speed to keep up with her when we ride together.

I was just posting the capabilities of my bike, it is no different than when I take my car to the race track for a track day. I can get it up to over double the legal highway speed on the raceway, but would never think about driving that fast on any public thoroughfare.

Here's my rainy day & after dark commuter with fender flairs and a full lighting system powered from the 14s source battery (58V charge). DIY dual LED headlights, red tail and amber turn signals with components tucked into a plastic box.  That last pic shows CA recorder screen for max speed and average speed for my commute.

I've watched many e-bikes come and go at my work campus. Very few stand the test of time in daily use.

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3197.jpg
    IMG_3197.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom