Fly fishing Utah in May/June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardo

Hello everyone!!  My wife and I will be traveling through Utah from our home in Alabama in May and early June.  We will be staying several days each at Zion NP, Duck Creek, Kodachrome SP, Escalante SP, Capital Reef NP, and Moab.  Can anyone help me with good fly fishing spots to try out in these areas?  I'll probably try a guided trip also.  I'm a little worried about high spring runoff during that period; may have to look at lakes.  Thanks for any help.

Approx 25-30 miles from Capital Reef is the Fremont river. Excellent fly fishing for 5 species of trout. In the small town of Loa (on Hwy 24) there's a Fly Shop called Quiet Fly Fisher; The owner offers a great guide service in rivers and lakes. On the main street of Loa there's a ranger station with great maps.

Thousand Lakes RV Park is close to Capital Reef, and a good place to stay, both for visiting the park and for fishing described above.

Thanks Tom; I've exchanged emails with the guy at the Quiet Fly Fisher; probably call him this week and schedule a trip.  We stayed at Thousand Lakes a few years ago and liked it ok; sites a little close.  We are going to try and get a spot at the Fruita CG at Capital Reef; will use Thousand Lakes if not able, maybe Singletree CG.

FWIW Mike, the owner of Quiet Fly Fisher, can/will provide all the gear. I can't recall if he preferred that, or if I didn't have my gear on that trip. In any event, his fee was well worth it; I'd scouted out the Fremont on my own (not fishing), but he took me places I wouldn't have thought of going to. FWIW this was my first and only guided trip, so I don't have anything else to compare it with, but he set the bar high.

BTW you mentioned lake fishing ... there's Fish Lake at the top of Boulder Mountain (Hwy 24 out of Loa).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom