Boondocking/working online/electrical system design help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Frank... A couple of things - First, I think AGMs are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Other than dusting them off once in awhile, they require no maintenance whatsoever. You're going to pay for that, because they're pricey - and you'll want to make sure that you have a charger and solar controller that charges them properly (they have a slightly different charging profile than standard lead-acid batteries) but they're well worth it IMO.

You mentioned not going to an MPPT controller unless your panels' output exceeds 600 watts. Some PWM controllers will work near that 600 watt threshold, but nowhere near as efficiently as an MPPT controller. PWM controllers work fine on high wattage systems, but only if the battery-banks they're charging aren't drawn down very far. If the RV's batteries get drawn down overnight like most RV battery-banks do, a PWM controller probably won't be able to put enough amps back into the batteries during the next solar charging cycle to fully recharge them. PWM controllers can't convert higher voltages from larger arrays to amps like MPPT controllers can, so a lot of solar power gets wasted.

Something else to consider - In the winter months, when most RVers really use their solar, the only way the concept of, "One watt of solar for every amp-hour of battery" will work, is if the panels are tilted toward the sun. If you're not going to tilt them, you'll need more panels to overcome the array's lower output due to the low solar angle, especially if you're going to be consuming more power than what is typical.

We've got eight Group 31 AGM house-batteries (840 AH capacity) and in the winter, our flat-mounted 970 watt solar array puts out just enough power on sunny days to fully recharge the batteries (with typical use). There's no way 840 watts of solar would fully recharge them in the winter. It would in the summer, when the sun is more overhead, but not in the winter unless the panels were tilted.

Kev

I have had to change up the plans again as the new sound bar is not substantial enough for me. This will bump me back up to six 6 volt batteries and more of everything else that goes with it.

I will have to be mindful of the weights on everything and the distribution of it. The couch and subwoofer that I build will have considerable weight to them in one location on one side which will have to be balanced by something like the batteries.

Sounds like you've got lots of pre-installation analysis and planning yet to do. I'd like to offer an additional resource: Nina and Paul of WheelingIt.us have just installed a very sizable solar system. Nina, an excellent blogger, has written about it on her blog and it may prove useful reading for you. They went with lithium batteries. Although I know more than many I'm not an expert on batteries. If my understanding is correct, besides being way expensive, lithium batteries allow a greater draw down percentage than lead acid and they recharge much more quickly too. Plus, for the amount of ampere hours they store they are smaller and lighter than lead acid. How fast batteries can be recharged may be an important consideration for you, as well as size and weight.

I'd also encourage you to look at every possible way you can conserve. In my limited experience, 18 months of full-timing in a 30' Class C (it's for sale, BTW) I've come to conclude that lots of life-style changes are required--in many ways learning to do with less. You may have to let go of some things you'd rather not, or find new ways of doing them. I say this with regard to your use of electricity.

Separately, I have learned quite a bit from and have really appreciated and supported ($) HandyBob for his generosity in helping me out.

HTH.

RussOnTheRoad said:
Sounds like you've got lots of pre-installation analysis and planning yet to do. I'd like to offer an additional resource: Nina and Paul of WheelingIt.us have just installed a very sizable solar system. Nina, an excellent blogger, has written about it on her blog and it may prove useful reading for you. They went with lithium batteries. Although I know more than many I'm not an expert on batteries. If my understanding is correct, besides being way expensive, lithium batteries allow a greater draw down percentage than lead acid and they recharge much more quickly too. Plus, for the amount of ampere hours they store they are smaller and lighter than lead acid. How fast batteries can be recharged may be an important consideration for you, as well as size and weight.

I'd also encourage you to look at every possible way you can conserve. In my limited experience, 18 months of full-timing in a 30' Class C (it's for sale, BTW) I've come to conclude that lots of life-style changes are required--in many ways learning to do with less. You may have to let go of some things you'd rather not, or find new ways of doing them. I say this with regard to your use of electricity.

Separately, I have learned quite a bit from and have really appreciated and supported ($) HandyBob for his generosity in helping me out.

HTH.

Thanks for the info. Little by little I have already started changing my habits. I am weaning myself down in multiple areas.

Maybe over time I will go up in quality battery wise but just starting out I don't see myself spending that much for Lion batteries. I am currently budgeting the electric at $5,000.00 or somewhere around that.

Counting 10 grand for an RV my budget is about $22,000.00. The couch and sound system will be  $2,300.00 to build. I will have a complete list of mods and material costs and have the order of how things are done before I start spending any money so I know upfront what I need to spend and what is done when.

Changing the interior into something that looks like me is on my list of priorities as this will be my home. I need to feel at home and not just like I am living in a regular RV. Most of what I install will move with me if/when I upgrade RV's in the future.

Frankedj said:
I have had to change up the plans again as the new sound bar is not substantial enough for me.

Please be aware when camping, that your neighbors most likely don't want to hear your music, that especially means the bass thumping out of the subwoofer. The walls on any RV don't go far for soundproofing.

kdbgoat said:
Please be aware when camping, that your neighbors most likely don't want to hear your music, that especially means the bass thumping out of the subwoofer. The walls on any RV don't go far for soundproofing.

I am very respectful of others at all times in regards to my music and everything else. I plan on spending the majority of my time away from others with only the occasional visit to an RV park or campground. I would never turn up the volume while around other people.

The only way most people will ever know that I have a sound system is if they are invited to see it. I can't stand annoying, disrespectful & noisy neighbors. It is a major pet peeve of mine.

Thanx for your consideration. Maybe some day our paths will cross and you extend an invite to give your system a listen. I'm old, but still enjoy a good sounding system.

Sun2Retire said:
Just as an FYI, Trojan has recalled their 105 AGMs and suspended production due to failures in the case; no date on when they'll be avail. I've heard good things about Fullriver Battery (http://www.fullriverbattery.com). I'm planning on adding 4 of their 6V AGMs to my battery bank

Thanks, Sun2Retire.  I saw they suspended production until "spring 2016" and was wondering why.

Hi Frank,  couple more things to consider....

An old-fashioned stove-top peculating coffee maker can be a good electrical energy saver (but does consume some propane). Another option is a french press (boil the water in a tea kettle on the stove) but I found mine to be too messy for my liking.

Several of the Class C guys that I know with solar have insufficient roof space so they have a couple of extra "ground mounted" panels. Of course, they have to store these things somewhere when on the move.

When living this lifestyle, there are some adjustments that one has to make. Conserving electrical energy is one, conserving data is often another.  For me, conserving data was the harder task (employed software engineer that like to stream music and video).

Best of luck with your project!  Solar is a very awesome thing!

JFNM said:
Hi Frank,  couple more things to consider....

An old-fashioned stove-top peculating coffee maker can be a good electrical energy saver (but does consume some propane). Another option is a french press (boil the water in a tea kettle on the stove) but I found mine to be too messy for my liking.

Several of the Class C guys that I know with solar have insufficient roof space so they have a couple of extra "ground mounted" panels. Of course, they have to store these things somewhere when on the move.

When living this lifestyle, there are some adjustments that one has to make. Conserving electrical energy is one, conserving data is often another.  For me, conserving data was the harder task (employed software engineer that like to stream music and video).

Best of luck with your project!  Solar is a very awesome thing!

Coffee is an important part of my day everyday. Being a man that likes tools, I had to have this coffee maker as soon as I first saw it. https://oxx.com/thecoffeeboxx/ It will only use 1,450 watts for 70 seconds for a cup of coffee so it won't be a constant draw.

I have started looking at Class A's now. I had a notion in my head about wanting a Class C since they closely resemble the box trucks that I have experience driving. If I can learn how to safely operate a box truck I can learn to drive a Class A.

I am currently learning how to reduce my internet bandwidth usage. I just received my Galaxy Tablet yesterday along with a bluetooth keyboard. I have unlimited data on both it and the new phone so I can stream music from youtube through the soundbar with bluetooth. I used to have music playing from youtube about 20 hours a day. I am inching my way towards not using my desktop computer 24/7 for everything but I think I will have to find a full size bluetooth keyboard for the Tablet. The one I got that fits the Tablet is nice but is still not big enough for the size of my hands. My thumbs are 1 inch wide so typing on tiny keys or screens causes me a lot of frustration.

My new small sound system design for the RV kind of grew as my projects always do. It went from $1,500 to a little over $2,500. I spent 3 decade as a nightclub DJ and doing sound design so it is something that is always with me in some fashion. The weight/weight distribution is a concern that stays on my mind and one of the reasons why I am looking at Class A's now. The combined weight of the sound and solar will be the heaviest parts even though I am not going too overboard on the size of the sound. I can put the AGM's inside and use them to balance the weight of the couch & bass speakers.

The weight of the couch I want to build will also be considerable. I have $400.00 invested in the frame for it. It will end up being around $1,500 by the time I order the rest of the parts needed.

My budget for the RV is also going up. My budget for pretty much every project that I do for myself ends up going up. I still have lots of time left and won't be leaving until sometime later this year once I am ready. Downsizing the 48" flatscreen won't be easy if I can't make it fit. I think I can make it fit by installing it over a large window. I am good at figuring out how to install things that look impossible to do.

I will actually be installing two sound systems. One in the dash plus the one in the back. They will stay separated power and audio wise. One for driving and the other for when parked. The one in the dash will stay typical with no external power amps and use regular car stereo speakers.

I still have much to plan but I am taking my time in doing it and slowly adjusting my normal ways to what will fit the new lifestyle for when the time comes. The unusual sound system and couch are things that will make me feel at home which is my goal. I want to create a space that is totally me and a place that I feel comfortable in. The insides of the RV that I drive will be very unusual.

The sound system:
2 - 10" subwoofers in 14.25"H x 14.25"W x 15"D sealed boxes
16 - 4" woofers in 4" PVC pipe (think Bose 901 speakers from the 1970's)
4 - 4" midbass
4 - 4" midrange
4 - horn loaded tweeters
2 - 4 ch Pioneer amplifiers
1 - 2 ch Pioneer amplifier
2 - 2 way active crossovers
4 - 3 way passive crossovers

Now if I could only design solar with the ease that I design sound systems I would be all set. One thing that I will really miss is ordering things online and having them delivered.

I realize this is old but thought I would share anyway to save you some money.

FYI, there is noreason to change your PC's PSU to a smaller wattage Power Supply. That's just the power supplies output rating. Meaning it can supply up to 650watts of clean power to your PC. What you want is a super efficient power supply. This correlates to amount of power wasted converting your RV's power to a clean power source for your computer. Anything above 90% is now considered very efficient in 2016. So you want a 80 Plus Platinum or higher (maybe you already have one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXTZizoknc

Toms hardware best of the best 2016 (remember you want 80 Plus Platinum or higher)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom