Tesla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I test drove a Tesla model S last weekend in anticipation of buying a model 3 when they come out next year. What an amazing experience. The instant acceleration was mind blowing. Tons of futuristic features. I have seen the future.

I've wanted one for almost 10 years now since Musk came out with his roadster. The model S is on of the best vehicles I've ever driven! With it's new batteries and the widening network of free charging stations across the USA, it's actually practical now.
    Still can't afford one, though, so I drive a Nissan Leaf; most of my driving is local commutes(work, groceries, hardware store, etc.). Had it for 2 years now---no complaints and no longer have "range anxiety" as I've learned exactly how far I can travel before charging. My charging system is 220v and is linked to my photovoltaic system that runs my home. No body is burning coal to charge my car! Truly, no expenses, ever, except to finally replace tires sometime in the distant future.

There are currently 2800 Supercharger stations in the US and by the time the model 3 is released there will be about 5000. Musk is smart enough to realize that electric vehicles will never be built until range anxiety is solved and he is doing a great job of solving it. Putting his Superchargers in shopping malls, movie theater parking lots and rest stops is a stroke of genius.

... the widening network of free charging stations across the USA...

A couple of years ago I was checking out parking at a nearby civic center where our band was booked to play. I couldn't figure out why they had "vacuum stations" in a multi-floor parking garage. Then it hit me - they were charging stations  :-[

Are they towable four down? 

My neighbor leases a Fiat all electric car and the lease allows them 11 days of free car rental in case they want to go on a trip that's further than the 70 mile range. 

Does Telsa do a similar thing in case you want to go a long distance?

No, but the regenerative braking mode turns the motor into a generator and dumps the recovered energy into the battery.  It would be an interesting software hack to let the car do controlled recharging while being towed 4 down.

Of course, the increased drag would directly impact the motorhome's MPG.  TANSTAAFL, you know.

Lou Schneider said:
It would be an interesting software hack to let the car do controlled recharging while being towed 4 down.
Here's the hack: using the various bits of info available (brake light circuit, deceleration via accelerometers, perhaps modulated brake air pressure) use progressively aggressive regenerative braking only when the coach is decelerating, i.e., use the toad as a brake source when needed. You could do a lot of battery charging scrubbing off the energy required to slow a 30,000# coach. Bingo! No impact to MPG.

MTISATAAFL! ;)

Lou Schneider said:
No, but the regenerative braking mode turns the motor into a generator and dumps the recovered energy into the battery.  It would be an interesting software hack to let the car do controlled recharging while being towed 4 down.

Of course, the increased drag would directly impact the motorhome's MPG.  TANSTAAFL, you know.
One of the coolest things about driving a Tesla is one pedal operation. The brake pedal really isn't needed. You let off the gas and it starts slowing down, kinda like engine braking. You only need to tap the brakes for the final stop.

If Publisher's clearing house ever knocks on my door I plan on visiting Tesla Motors (Factory) and having a sit down with an engineer.
They say they can not be towed 4 down.. I suspect I know how to fix that.

I've discovered, with my Leaf, that with very conservative driving, I'm able to get over 110 miles before a recharge is necessary. Of course, everyone in the lane behind me is p----d  off. If I coast to a stop, gradually accelerate from the stop, and never drive above 40 mph, avoiding streets with lots of stop and go allows me more freedom of range.

A buddy of mine who is a Ferrari mechanic just drove the model S last week and was very impressed... he had trouble finding something he didn't like about it.

BeaverCrap said:
A buddy of mine who is a Ferrari mechanic just drove the model S last week and was very impressed... he had trouble finding something he didn't like about it.
The only thing I could find that I didn't like about the Tesla was the fact my name wasn't on the registration. :-[

I am told it can not be towed 4 down.. But I suspect if I had coffee with some of their engineers that could be very easily fixed.

In fact there are several forum members who could take my place at that coffee meeting and it would be very easily fixed.

Houston Remodeler said:
Does towing a Tesla backwards charge the batteries ?

no, ..but you do get free Tesla fuel at RV parks with hook-ups.

I have driven many great cars..........but the Tesla is best car I have ever driven...

TonyDtorch said:
no, ..but you do get free Tesla fuel at RV parks with hook-ups.

Yea, wait til they see how much power is used to charge this thing. They will not allow it without a fee if they're smart.

markandkim said:
Yea, wait til they see how much power is used to charge this thing. They will not allow it without a fee if they're smart.
It doesn't take very much power to charge a Tesla. Certainly not as much as it costs to run an A/C or a microwave. And since Tesla owners can charge them for free at Superchargers most won't bother to charge in a campground.

SeilerBird said:
It doesn't take very much power to charge a Tesla. Certainly not as much as it costs to run an A/C or a microwave.

Tesla's battery holds 60 KwH.  That's $6 worth of electricity at 10 cents per KwH, $12 worth at 20 cents per KwH.  Campground owners would be justified in recouping that cost especially since your other electrical consumption will be the same as someone not recharging their car using the campground's  electricity.

By comparison a 1500 watt air conditioner or electric heater running continuously for 24 hours uses 36 KwH.

No electricity is free. It is created primarily by coal. Free charging stations are a temporary gimmick to get people to buy them.

$12.00 for the most uncomfortable ride for only 100 miles. Today that would buy 6 gallons of gas. Do the math.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom