$300 to install black tank flush kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kings Ransom

Our new TT does not come equipped with a black tank flush kit, so I asked about having one installed. They called today with the price quote at about $300. Because they left a voice mail, I didn't get the details yet. I need to call them back tomorrow to give my okay or not.

Is that a reasonable price? And is it worth it? I am not very handy, so doubt I could do it myself.

I installed one on my RV and it took at 15 minutes. You don't need to be handy, it is simple.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUQOCM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Don't actually see the need for one. In 5 years now, I just put a hose down the toilet. And fill and empty the tank till it runs sparkling clear. I know the hose is letting water out from one spot, but set on spray rather than jet, I wiggle it around and I think the output is about the same as those whizzy kits.  8)

I just had to take mine apart because I got into some dirty water and it plugged up the holes. The biggest problem I see is drilling the hole in the tank.  It has to be 2" down from the top and mine was on the opposite end from the drain.  Depending where your tank is located, it may be a challenge. If you are not handy, I don't think that price is too high if you figure paying a shop $125.00 per hour. I wouldn't be without it. I could not get a good flush with my set up using a hose because the toilet pipe has two 45 degree elbows in it before it dumps into the tank. 

They are not difficult to install but be careful.  If you are not the type of person who likes doing his own work, it might be worth the price for them to do it.  If you decide to do it yourself, be careful when drilling the tank and make sure you take into consideration the contour of the corners and the taper of the tank.  At least on my tank, the opposite side of the drain was tapered and not a lot of extra room to drill the hole required and still give sufficient flat surface to seal properly. Almost ruined my tank which would have been a costly mistake. I even put one in my gray tank.  Works great.

Many TT's have the waste tanks tucked away above a bottom covering that needs to be removed to install the flush kit. The actual flush installation might not take that long, but the removal and replacement of the covering can take considerable time if done correctly. At $125 or so an hour labor cost, plus the retail cost of the flush kit, $300 may be a reasonable estimate.

RV shops get $100-$130 per hour and installing a flusher could be anywhere from  a 30 minute job to a couple hours, depending on how easy it is to access the black tank area. My guess is they quoted a flat rate number of cover the worst case. Don't expect a lower charge if it turns out to be easier.

Jennifercks said:
Ha ha! I NEVER expect a final bill to come in lower than the estimate!
Heck. It seems most of my own projects never come in on or below budget. ;D

The various general subject of flushing the black water tank comes up often. there are various remedies.

Here is our own personal solution tht we have used for decades to keep our black water tank clean and easy to flush.

With our four previous RVs and present Monty, we use our RV almost every month. Even so there are times when it not used for a couple or perhaps three weeks. Anyone who does not use their RV for a period of weeks could use our method if they choose and I believe it will work for anyone.

When we return from a trip, and I know that we will not be using the RV for at least a couple of weeks, after draining the holding tanks into our Septic tank here on the ranch, I fill the black water tank almost full with fresh water. While filing the tank with fresh water I add about a half cup of RIDEX. I let the RIDEX work in the tank until we are getting ready to prepare for our next trip. Then I drain and rince the tank into our Septic tank. The RIDEX works in the black water tank just as it does in our Septic Tank and when I rinse the black water tank after the RIDEX treatment, it is always clean with just the final clean water rinse.

Back
Top Bottom