10 Amp 120 v power outlet, charging center... use a tripp powerverter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Nothing in manual. ... so I Am asking the experts!

We have never had this charging center in a rv... this new (used) has this.... now how to utilize it!  I have a Tripp-lite 300 watt powerverter. Is that too powerful to plug in... are thinking of plugging in electric blanket... boondocks ng in Montana this wknd...

Says there is a auto safety shutdown will shutdown if inverter outlets are overloaded.... I am thinking this 300 watt is too big to use.... thoughts from everyone..

Yep 65 in Wyoming today... gotta lover Mother Nature!

No that inverter is not too big, but since it is a MSW (modified  sine wave) inverter instead of a PSW (pure sine wave) inverter, it probably is no good for powering your electric blanket.  Most electric blanket controls will burn out almost immediately if powered by that inverter.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking... what kind of inverter can I buy to use... and what would it run...... what are those 12V plugs used for???

A 300W inverter will pull over 25 amps from its 12v power source at full load, so no, you can't just plug it in one of those 12v utility outlets. Few of then are rated above 10A @ 12v, and most will quickly fail if asked to deliver the full 10A for more than a few minutes. Those 12v outlets are for small loads like cell phone chargers, GPS systems, extra lighting, etc.

If you want a plug-in inverter, it will need to be limited to a max load of about 100W. Something like the Triplite PV100USB
http://www.tripplite.com/100w-powerverter-ultra-compact-car-inverter-with-outlet-12v-cla-receptacle-and-2-usb-charging-ports~PV100USB/

Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverters work for most things, but electric blankets are [mostly] not one of them. Digital timers are another, and also many led night lights.  In many cases it has to do with the quality of the electronic circuit board design rather than any inherent tech issue, but tiny and cheaply built devices often don't have the extra bit it takes to handle less-than-ideal power. The other typical exception is devices that use pulse width modulation, like the electric blanket example. PWM devices need to be aware of the shape and period of the power wave, so MSW vs PSW makes a difference. There are a couple brands of electric blanket that will work on MSW, though.

Getting ready to get rv out and will probably stay without hookups... not a lot of hookups in the mountains of Montana/Wyoming this time of the year... Have a solar panel on roof and generator, so set there... would sure enjoy an electric... No, 12 Volt blanket to get into at night. We have that usb/12 volt charging center.  I am thinking about this one. Wondered if anyone has tried it, and any idea how much battery it would use.

I know I have a furnace, but I hate the sound of fan running...

thanks, Donna

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/12-volt-travel-blanket/69172

They work. You just need enough battery capacity to power it for whatever time it operates. If you are boondocking much, you probably will want to add battery capacity, either a larger single battery or additional one(s) in parallel.

They work. You just need enough battery capacity to power it for whatever time it operates. If you are boondocking much, you probably will want to add battery capacity, either a larger single battery or additional one(s) in parallel.

We have 2 golf hd batteries and a solar panel, maybe that would be enough? May try it...
I just wonder if they work...

There is one electric blanket that will work with the MSW inverter. The Soft Heat blanket has a "power brick" and actually runs on low voltage DC (18 volts, if I remember correctly). It is somewhat expensive, but it is a very nice blanket.

Joel

Yes that inverter is too big to plug in,, Now you said this is part of a "Charging Center" do you mean a luggable power pack/jump start device?

300 watts translates to about 30 amps on the input to the inverter by the way.

If you put a big load on those luggable packs, say 100 watts. they will last not much past 2 hours if that long

But if you tie it into the RV's power (Same 100 watts) can last 5 or 10 or more hours depending on the size of your battery bank.

John From Detroit said:
Yes that inverter is too big to plug in,, Now you said this is part of a "Charging Center" do you mean a luggable power pack/jump start device?

300 watts translates to about 30 amps on the input to the inverter by the way.

If you put a big load on those luggable packs, say 100 watts. they will last not much past 2 hours if that long

But if you tie it into the RV's power (Same 100 watts) can last 5 or 10 or more hours depending on the size of your battery bank.

No, the RV has a charging station that has a usb plug and a 12 volt in it.  I have plugged in my 12v air gizmo.. the one you can blow up bike tires, blew out my water lines inside with it... the charging station is something new that Keystone has in their units, I think they all do it now. Charges my phone great... but not so sure on an 12 volt warm blanket..

They do make a 12 volt electric blanket, do not know how warm or how good it is but truck stops carry them.

Another thought Some Electric blanket controllers do not like MSW inverters  TSW are good but not MSW.

I'd hard wire that inverter, keep the 12 volt leads big and short.

Here is a small (42x60) 12v blanket. It draws 4+ amps each hour, but its hard to guesstimate how much any thermostat-controlled heater actually runs. The colder it is, the more it runs and the more amp-hours it consumes.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12-Volt-Fleece-Heated-Blanket/dp/B0009Y2CFS

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom