Camping at The Hospital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

The Hospital in Kingstree, South Carolina was destroyed, first by a flood and then by the discovery of asbestos and lead resulting in needing a total new hosptal.

My company is providing a temporary hospital during the rebuilding for about the next two years.

During the setup of the temporary mobile and modular hospital, I will be here onsite for regulatory and other assistance.

It took me over a week to drive here from Quartzsite, including dodgeing a few tornados in Louisiana.

I thought you might like to see what it is like to have an entire hospital as your RV Park

I have electric, water, and sewer by using an outside electrical outlet, a long water hose, and my macerator pump hooked up to clean out.

Here are some pictures. 

The first is the area that I choose on the back side of the hospital before I parked.

I put the coach in five parking spaces and put the stacker at a 90 degree angle by using some hovering skills I was taught as a helicopter pilot, (actually I used the Jeep to spot it)

Nice weather here for now, hope it continues.

Attachments

• r20160228_131716.jpg
    r20160228_131716.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 409
  • r20160228_155704.jpg
    r20160228_155704.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 355
  • r20160228_155808.jpg
    r20160228_155808.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 351
  • r20160228_155839.jpg
    r20160228_155839.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 331
  • r20160228_155945.jpg
    r20160228_155945.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 355
I am only going to be here for less that 2 months while the temporary hospital is set up and functional

I will be coming up to Minnesota, probably late April of early May.

Unless you guys can get it to warm up in Minnesota sooner.

Nice set up you got there, that trailer would be about big enough for my toys. I'd just need something bigger than what I have to drag it around.
By the way, my mothers maiden name is Waugh.
Gary

One of the maintenance guys here at the hospital drilled a hole thru the brick wall into a utility room to connect the 125 foot long 6/3 wire that I carry in my stacker to a main electrical panel.

I now have a full hookup with 50 amp service. water, and sewer connection.

We did the same procedure as when I connected to 50 amp service at my Mom's place a few years ago.

I am posting a link to that write up in case anyone needs to do this anytime.

How high did the water get?  That main building looks like it's on top of a pretty good sized hill.

Actually it was severe rain damage that ruined the roofs and then they discovered Asbestos and Lead.

I just found that out today.

It is high ground at the hospital, but many homes were under water.

It really is not that long.  It just kind of adds up when you put it together.  The DP is 40 feet, the Stacker it 34 feet and the Trailer toad axle is 3 feet.  The total is 77 feet long.

I have never been stopped for any reason.  I do not speed or do anything to draw attention to myself.  I also never pull into weigh stations, but most of us do not either.

There were three of us with stackers of about the same length parked at Q.  The consensus was that we do not get hassled as long as we do not do anything to warrant it.

Most likely if we do ever get stopped it will be by DOT instead of regular law enforcement and even then it would probably be at a weigh station or checkpoint.

Glad to see you finally made it, Bill.  Actually, it looks like a nice area with the trees and your concrete pad looks big enough for your needs.  ;)  I'm curious.  Is the small building next to your motorhome the hospital or is it the taller and larger building in the background?  I hope you'll post some photos when the temporary hospital is set up so we can see what one looks like in actuality.

ArdraF

Hey Ardra,

The smaller building is being operated as a 24 hour clinic for the hospital.  The larger building in the background is the main hospital building.

This is a beautiful part of South Carolina, mostly rural with lots of cotton fields.

The parking lot that we are on has plenty of room.  The staff are very friendly and stop by.

The entire community is anxious to get the hospital back in operation.

Step one is setting up an emergency department using two of our large mobile units with supporting modular facilities.

The next step will be a large fully functional modular hospital on the other side of the hospital in a large parking lot to be used for the next two years as they build a new hospital.

I will take some pictures as it goes together and post them.

I only plan on being here until the setup is fully operational and then going up to Minnesota and rejoining the ranks of the retired.

Love the pics, very fascinating.

I've careened around South Carolina a good bit the last few years because I am very fond of their state parks.

I thought it might be interesting to post some pictures of the current state of the hospital before all the emergency hospital units arrive

I will later post pictures as the full temporary hospital takes shape.

The first picture is in front of the hospital where the Emergency Department will be the first to be put in service.

The third picture is of the large empty parking lot at the rear of the hospital where the main emergency hospital will be located.

Attachments

• rDSCN0542.jpg
    rDSCN0542.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 118
  • rDSCN0547.jpg
    rDSCN0547.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 117
  • rDSCN0554.jpg
    rDSCN0554.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 114
It looks like a beautiful hospital and it doesn't look that old. It must be though if it's loaded with asbestos and  they're going to tear it down????

Back
Top Bottom