Best WiFi HotSpot Plan currently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

We use to have the 30G for $130 per month from Verizon but since my wife took a permanent job for awhile, we let it go.

We were wondering who had the best plan for max Gigs for the dollar currently.

Thanks,

Tom...

You can buy a LG K7 phone for $49 from MetroPCS:

https://www.metropcs.com/phones/details/lg-k7/610214644626::Black.html

Then get their unlimited talk text and data plan for $60 per month and a hot spot is included on the phone:

https://www.metropcs.com/cell-plans.html

Tom,  We will be going back to Yuma next fall and will need it there,  How many devices and what kind of down load speed can you expect in town?

Tom...

I just tested it and got 4 mbps here in Orlando. I don't know what the speed would be in Yuma. I have a bunch of devices. Where did you read about the 8 gig cap? Everywhere I looked it said unlimited.

Follow the link you provided, go down to the bottom and go down to New Features to Extend your Data, look a little further down on the left side under Mobil Hotspot click learn more

SeilerBird said:
Everywhere I looked it said unlimited.
Don't know if it applies here but I think Sprint's "unlimited" plan is in fact unlimited data, but speed throttles after some certain amount used

Tom Hoffman said:
Follow the link you provided, go down to the bottom and go down to New Features to Extend your Data, look a little further down on the left side under Mobil Hotspot click learn more
Well that is hiding it well. I only have the one gig plan for $30 a month since that is more than I ever use.

Sun2Retire said:
Don't know if it applies here but I think Sprint's "unlimited" plan is in fact unlimited data, but speed throttles after some certain amount used

Well, that kinda defeats the idea of Unlimited don't it...  If you can't get much to work, you can't use much...

Sun2Retire said:

I don't remember for sure but I think that is the same deal with my T-Mobile plan. 

SeilerBird said:
I just tested it and got 4 mbps here in Orlando. I don't know what the speed would be in Yuma. I have a bunch of devices. Where did you read about the 8 gig cap? Everywhere I looked it said unlimited.

This is just pure .... read the small caracteres with your glasses !
Your unlimited dowload is for music and there is a Maximizer system for data...
IMO, any plan with a limit of 8 GIG/month is pretty good for a WI-FI Hotspot; I often used a 6GIG/month for $50 and it suited me well.

legrandnormand said:
IMO, any plan with a limit of 8 GIG/month is pretty good for a WI-FI Hotspot; I often used a 6GIG/month for $50 and it suited me well.

When we were camped in Yuma 14'-15' 6 months we had 30G per month, and some months I went over it, It was for both my wife and myself.  Minimum of a gig a day.  Never could figure out why we used so much, we didn't down load movies or play games,  I did a lot of reading and the wife did social stuff when not at work.  Very perplexing...

legrandnormand said:
I have no clue what you are talking about.

The real question here is who has good service in the area(s) you will frequent. Both coverage and performance can and will differ widely among the major networks. For example, if a carrier has no or limited coverage, the plan is worth nothing. And if the carrier has numerous customers but few towers (radios), each one will be saturated and performance will suck, especially if you are a heavy consumer of bandwidth.

There are sites that try to evaluate cellular performance by area, though it is a moving target. Here are some for Yuma:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizona/1871288-yuma-az-cell-phone-reception.html

http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/az/yuma/page1.html

MetroPCS does provide service in the Yuma area, so maybe they are a contender. I believe MetroPCS runs on the T-Mobile network, but that doesn't mean the performance is the same as T-Mobile's own plans. As a re-seller of T-Mobile's bandwidth, they may have accepted some limits of the amount of data they can use at any given place or time to get a lower price.

;D I have Cricket; which has phones with hotspots for as cheap as $19.99 if you change form a different carrier. I have the Kyocera Hydro which is waterproof up to I meter for 30 minutes. I pay $70.00 for 10 gbs; they don't roll over; so use them up.  8) They USE the AT&T network and have fairly good coverages. Go to their WEbsite and check it out. Don't know if it's the best but the grapevine says they may offer 20 gbs.  ;D

because of the checker board of signals we get in the Rockies, we have a a bit of data on each service. 4 gigs on sprint, 5 gigs on TMO, 10 gigs with Cricket and a $5 a month unlimited 3G Verizon hotspot.

It's right around $100 a month.

The Cricket is $65 with hotspot and auto pay and has unlimited 2G after the LTE data bucket.

The 4GAS/TMO is 17.41 and comes with Binge on and like the Cricket unlimited 2G after.

The Sprint cost me $10 a month and is split between a Freedompop hotspot and a RingPlus Phone.

The Verizon unlimited 3G hotspot came from Mobile-Solutions and cost $5 a month.

That's all four carriers for coverage but none of them do roaming.

When we were full timing, we used Verizon Air card.  Not sure if that will work for you, but we never lost service anywhere.  All through Canada and across the USA multiple times.  Loved it!
We still have Verizon and by far, the best coverage out there.  Heck, if you can't use it all the time, it is useless, no matter what you pay for it!

foretravelman said:
When we were full timing, we used Verizon Air card.  Not sure if that will work for you, but we never lost service anywhere.  All through Canada and across the USA multiple times.  Loved it!
We still have Verizon and by far, the best coverage out there.  Heck, if you can't use it all the time, it is useless, no matter what you pay for it!

That's not the point, the point is, who has the best volume of data available for the best $$$.  When we were in Yuma last year we had decent coverage and reception with Verizon using a WiFi Hotspot with 30 Gigs of data a month for $130 per month. 

I was trying to find out if any one was offering anything remotely like that now. 

Now Verizon want in excess of $200+ for 30 gigs.

best price does no good if you have no coverage.  we had to add a Verizon jetpack because our t mobile has no signal when we get away from big cities. 

Tom Hoffman said:
When we were camped in Yuma 14'-15' 6 months we had 30G per month, and some months I went over it, It was for both my wife and myself.  Minimum of a gig a day.  Never could figure out why we used so much, we didn't down load movies or play games,  I did a lot of reading and the wife did social stuff when not at work.  Very perplexing...

Tom,

We had the same issue with our 32 gig plan.  We actually went several gigs over a few months ago.  My solution was to turn off the MiFi when not using it like at night.  There was all kinds of downloads and backups going on when I was not using it between the three IPADs and the laptops.  It was not an issue of others using it.  It was unattended data usage at night.  This month I am way under on usage.  Just turn off the MiFi when not using it.

Back
Top Bottom