HAM operators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malexander

N5KLA Marshall here. Anyone else?
I have a Kenwood 7350 2m I'm going to put in the Bounder.
I'm also going to put my 23 channel (40yo) Midland CB in there.

Hi - I'm KK6MJB.  Just had my Kenwood TM- V71A and my Uniden CB installed in my new Jeep today.  There are quite a few hams on the board I'm sure you will hear from others.

malexander said:
N5KLA Marshall here. Anyone else?
AA6GA.  I've been a ham since the mid 1960's. I too am  into touring motorcycles (my main touring  bike is a Triumph Trophy SE).

-Don-  SSF, CA

KX3C -- Lee Shaver
New to rving - fifth wheel
Greencastle, Pa.
radios: Kenwood TS-480, Elecraft KX3
Hope to see and/or hear you soon.

WN7E here in AZ, just got new to us Jeep, 2013 JK Unlimited Sahara, to use as a toad. Need to get a lot done to it including installing radio, Icom 2720 and antenna.

QRZ!!!! N5OC here, new to RV'ing. Been a ham since 1989, not active but I have a brand new Yaesu FT847 just waiting to hit the road. I worked for Yaesu in the late 90's... I also enjoy riding motorcycles, I have a 2014 Street Glide Special...

OM's

Redroadking said:
QRZ!!!! N5OC here, new to RV'ing. Been a ham since 1989, not active but I have a brand new Yaesu FT847 just waiting to hit the road. I worked for Yaesu in the late 90's... I also enjoy riding motorcycles, I have a 2014 Street Glide Special...
OM's
I have been a ham since 1967 (then was WB6YYO).

Much later, I had one of the very first Yaesu FT757GX's on the air in the county. I somehow managed to buy a demo model that was sold expecting more to come in soon, but it took like a year everywhere. So just about every QSO people were asking about my rig.

I own several motorcycles (but no Harleys):

I am the original owner of:

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

73, -Don-  AA6GA  SSF, CA

Newcomer to the group as of today.  KI5ED, originally KB5DBD, early 80's.

Saw this thread while looking for information to help me set up a ham shack in my motorhome and would like to say hello....Hello !
Greg Luckett NB8X

KE7DJQ here. Just purchased a travel trailer and want to eventually put my Yaesu FT857D inside. That would be after the truck install. I currently have an install in my car, but  now that we will be using the truck much more, I want to put it there.

I have wanted to get into Ham for a long time, just never had the time.  I don't even know how to get started.  My old Co-Pilot, many years ago, was into it...talked to people all around the world. 

Any suggestions where to start.  What does it cost?  Antenna requirements on an RV? 

To quote the homeless people on the street corners...... "Anything Helps."
Thanks.
Fitz

Jim Fitz said:
I have wanted to get into Ham for a long time, just never had the time.  I don't even know how to get started.  My old Co-Pilot, many years ago, was into it...talked to people all around the world. 

Any suggestions where to start.  What does it cost?  Antenna requirements on an RV? 

To quote the homeless people on the street corners...... "Anything Helps."
Thanks.
Fitz

My wife and I are currently inactive but you should google ARRL (American Radio Relay League) as they are the grand poo bahs of American ham radio operations and have all sorts of info and can put you in touch with local clubs/operators.  Good luck. It is much easier now to get a license than it was when we started but very enjoyable hobby.  Computers have taken a toll of ham popularity.

Hi, agree with the previous post - start with ARRL, find local clubs, usually there are condensed training classes to get you started on the technician class ticket over a weekend.  classes friday & sat, and test on sunday afternoon.
I'd get a technician class manual read up, and you can take practice tests at qrz.com  if regularly get 85+ you're well ready for the test.

Have fun & good luck,
Chuck
KB0VXD
president Lake Area Radio Klub - Watertown,SD

K6JEA

First licensed in '82

We are just setting up the new 5th wheel, but high on the priority list was the ham station. I have a Kenwood TS 570DG, Elecraft amp and tuner and a Heil mic. This feeds an Alpha Antenna J pole which seems to work pretty well. I have it on a 16 foot fiberglass pole mounted on the ladder up about 5 feet. Because it is end fed, I only have to find one place to tie it off.

And for the motorcycle riders out there, the avatar is my Triumph 1050 Tiger. Taken in the Santa Monica Mountains above Pacific Coast Highway. Been riding for a bit over 50 years. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom