Any roads to avoid on southwestern trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rider1520

This July I am taking our 30' Winnebago Class A without a toad on a trip of the southwest with my two daughters. Recently I read someone say to avoid Hwy 12 in Utah with a "large" RV due to the narrowness of the road and steep drop offs. As I mentioned I have a 30' class A, are there any roads that I should avoid? I realize this is a subjective questions but I figure receiving everyone's advice will allow me to make an informed decision....thanks!

Recently I read someone say to avoid Hwy 12 in Utah with a "large" RV due to the narrowness of the road and steep drop offs.

Highway 12 is steep, yes - I don't recall it being particularly narrow. And the drop offs are not a problem as long as you stay on the road. You do plan to stay on the road, don't you?

We traveled it going north in a 32' Class A towing a Jeep, and I would do it again. Just take it easy and enjoy the views.

Bill

I believe it is Rt 77 in AZ, Salt River Canyon is not terrible, but long steep drop into the canyon through many hairpin turns.  I would do it but I would need to sedate my wife.  Brakes will heat up for sure.  Downshifting can only do so much.  The climb out (north) is also steep, many hairpins, but easier on the mind.

Articfox2005....the plan is to stay on the road yes, but the article I read seem to indicate that some folks (like PancakBill's wife) freak out because of the lack of guard rails and width of the road and cautioned against it. That got me to wondering if there were some roads more experienced travelers would caution against! Plus, it seems like a lot of class A owners take a toad for local touring and we will only have the RV

You might want to invest in a "Truckers Atlas".  It's a large state by state map book you can purchase at any truck stop; maps of each state, as well as, Canadian Providences.  In lists low underpasses, restricted roads and bridges with weight restrictions. 

I have a husband that will turn on a dime to take a "scenic" route with our 36' motorhome with a toad.  When that happens, I grab that atlas and start checking  the route..... ;) 

You might want to obtain a copy of the Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers .  It has the mountain roads large vehicles need to approach with care.  It's arranged by state with a map showing the questionable roads and each road or pass is described in detail showing curves, steepness, length of difficult area, and the like.  There's also an Eastern edition.  We keep copies of both edtions in the motorhome.  The western U.S. has many mountainous roads that can terrify people from the flat lands.  Sometimes it's the person in the passenger seat who is the most bothered by the drive because they're the one looking down the steep dropoff while the driver is concentrating on the road. For example, wee had driven one mountain road in California many times with thinking much about it.  Then there was a forest fire in the area that destroyed everything.  The next time we drove on that road was a real eye opener!  I was the passenger looking straight down the steep canyon with no trees to camouflage my view.  I hated it!  That was not a fun drive.

ArdraF

The first one to avoid in an RV that pops into my mind is UT-261, the Moki-dugway. It runs from UT-95 near Natural Bridges National Monument to Mexican Hat. Part is paved, but the really steep part is gravel/dirt. There are a number of youtube videos of it.

Another that comes to mind is AZ-89A through Oak Creek Canyon and then the section from Clarksdale to Jerome and Prescot. I believe there is a 40' length limit. I have driven this many times in the 23' long bed crewcab and that is about as big as I would want to go. Getting through Jerome is tough with tight turns and cars parked on the streets.

BIA-13 between Chinle, AZ and Shiprock, NM has steep grades and swichbacks and I believe a length limit. I drove it in a 27' Class C. Lots of second gear both up and down.

The road through Salt River Canyon, which is between Globe and Show Low, AZ is US-60/AZ-77. It is a major truck route through that area, but does have steep grades and switchbacks.

US-191 from Threeway, AZ to Alpine, AZ has some steep climbs and a low clearance tunnel. I drove this section in the 27' Class C. It took forever. It is a renown motorcycle tour road. Further North, US-191 has steep grades and ten switchbacks in nine miles North of Vernal, UT. It then goes up and down through Flaming Gorge.

I second the recomendation to get a copy or download of the Mountain directory.

Highway 15 north of Silver City, NM.  NOT advised with a motorhome, or any trailer beyond 20' long.  Not impossible, but won't be fun. 

Thanks for all good advice! I never heard of the Mountain Directory before but I will look it up too!

IMHO Rt 12 is one of the roads that we have gone out of our way to drive and will not cause a problem for the normal driver. As others have said ,"you do plan on staying on the road" and you are traveling to see the beauty of the country, so just take your time and enjoy the drive, my guess is that the group will enjoy the drive.

I'm always puzzled by those who, think that because they are not comfortable that most others are also not going to enjoy it. I've normally found that if you have made it this far into Utah and the beauty of the area that you will generally not have an issue with the smaller roads - just slow down and enjoy the drive.

BOL,

We have been down that road many times.  It is a twisty turny road in the bottom of the canyon but well worth the trip. Just take your time and you should be fine. I can send you links to photos of the area if you are interested.

Travel to Bryce Canyon area 2014
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/10tpzwsc08jsl8o/AABYEASt9EReSvJvhqMiGoUXa?dl=0

A day in Bryce Canyon 2014
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j4hb69o6r327gok/AABeDoje94ffKZT3jQAOJiRta?dl=0

And a bonus Zion and other locations from our 2015 trip
http://www.srfox.net/travel2015.html

Enjoy! :)

Rider-

Sorry I'm late to the party; I've been mostly off the forum for a week (because I was on an RV trip  :D).  It's possible that your reference to avoiding Hwy 12 came from this thread that I offered some comments in:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,92168.0.html.  The context of those comments are important.  First, I knew from another thread that the OP is trying to cram as many possible sites into a roughly 10 day trip from Iowa to Las Vegas.  Second, I knew the OP was a first time RV driver.  Finally, the specific question I was responding to was "Are there any switchbacks or anything else I need to be aware of?" 

The answer to that question is, yes, the "Hogback" section could be considered by some to be a scary place to drive a large RV.  Also, for that particular poster, it might not be the fastest way to get from Point A to Point B.  The one time I drove it, I found it a little scary, but kept a reasonable speed and didn't have any problems.  I found it to be an interesting challenge and would probably take the same route again in the future, although I would probably also stop once or twice to enjoy the scenery.

Jagnwiener.... You are right I do believe it was that post, and it got me to wondering about the roads and the fact that I qwould be driving a 30' vehicle. There is another highway rate 129  near the North Carolina & Tennesee boarder that on the map looks OK but is actually called "the tail of the dragon" by motorcyclists. It had 318 curves in 11 miles and I have seen tractor trailers try it and jackknife all over the place. But looking just at the map you would never guess. That is what prompted me to ask the question. If you have an idea of what to expect then I figure I could make a more informed decision, especially since I will have my two daughters with me.....Thanks for responding though, I appreciate all the feedback I have received here!!

I'm familiar with "Tail of the Dragon."  I haven't actually traveled it but have seen video.  Hwy 12 is not the same kind of animal.  Nowhere near the same kind of issues with tight hairpin turns, etc.  With Hwy 12, specifically the "Hogback" section, the concern is the fact that in some places you are very exposed with steep drops on both sides.  It can be nerve wracking for some and apparently even paralyzing for a few.  However, if you are reasonably comfortable with driving your RV and don't drive like a crazy man, it's very doable. 

The only caveat is that I have not driven it with strong crosswinds.  I would imagine that would make things substantially less pleasant.

As I said in the other post, by that point you should have some mountain driving under your belt.  If you are pretty comfortable driving by that point, you should be OK.  On the other hand, if you already have the willies from driving in the mountains, I would take another route.

My suggestion is if you are comfortable with mountain driving on two-lane highway then the drive on Hwy12 will be scenic and beautiful.  If you are not comfortable it will be a nail biting ride for your passenger and a stressful death grip on the wheel experience for the driver. 

There are steep drop offs on either/both sides at various times, BUT you already mentioned you had planned on staying ON the highway so that shouldn't be of concern. ;)

Personally we love Hwy12 and have traveled it in about every type of vehicle but it is not for everyone.  We traveled it with some family members a few years ago and I still don't think they are speaking to me.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom