Headlight Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

The headlights on my 03 Winnebago Ultimate have always been marginal on low beam.  In 2004 I installed HIR1 (9011) bulbs in place of the 9006 low beams and that helped some. Add almost 13 years of travel, and the headlights had yellowed and crazed to the point that even the high beams did not provide comfortable vision for night driving. A few years ago I had discovered Xtreme Paint & Graphics in Nacogdoches TX. They do headlight conversions along with some great fiberglass and paint work. About a year ago I stopped in while we were near by and talked to them about changing the headlights on my 2003 Ultimate. Last November I called and got an appointment for early February. I got the coach back this past week. They did an awesome job, installing Hella headlights with LED turn & side markers. The headlights use the H9 bulb which puts out about twice the lumens as the original 9006 bulbs. Haven't had a chance/need to drive it at night as yet, but I really like the appearance of the end result! The attached pic is a photo-shop combination from the shop of the before and after look.

Attachments

• HeadlightsBeforeAfter.jpg
    HeadlightsBeforeAfter.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 134
Looks great! One thing to keep in mind.

The problem with the older headlamp assemblies is the UV coating wearing off the the lens due to everyday use. Almost as if they were sandblasted. Dimming the lumen output. The newer projection type assemblies, if not aimed correctly, will be very uncomfortable to on coming traffic. Resulting in on coming vehicles flashing their high beams at you.

denmarc said:
Looks great! One thing to keep in mind.

The problem with the older headlamp assemblies is the UV coating wearing off the the lens due to everyday use. Almost as if they were sandblasted. Dimming the lumen output. The newer projection type assemblies, if not aimed correctly, will be very uncomfortable to on coming traffic. Resulting in on coming vehicles flashing their high beams at you.
I find that that is a problem with most newer high end cars, not a new problem

Conversion cost?
And it would be helpful to hear your report regarding actual night-driving improvement.
Thanks

Nice upgrade. Sadly, my Winnie has sealed beam lights...and they're horrid.

I tried some LED sealed beam bulbs...they're a little better, but not much.

Cost for the 4 Hella headlights, two large multi-led turn signals, and two small round side markers was $620. Fiberglass work, paint, & labor was about $3,000. That included paint for the lower half of the front end. I had clearcoat damage on the top half removing the 3m film a few years ago so had them do the entire front end. That added two additional colors and $1,000.

I am eager to find out what kind of improvement they will make, but rarely get out at night. Guess I'll have to just unplug and take her for a ride when the horrendous rains here in East Texas go away.

Finally got a chance to do a night ride to check out the new headlights. Low beam is much better than the original (not frightening to drive anymore!). I drove a two lane highway 10 miles down and back and met many cars with no one "flashing" me so the low beams are apparently aimed well. High beam really lights up down the road, but not much light hits the roadway surface. I suspect they may be aimed just a bit high.

Back
Top Bottom