No AC Power In Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rice40

We just got home from a trip with our 2006 Fleetwood Santa Fe popup with World Friendship Co WF-8725-P converter.  We have never had an issue until now and all of the AC outlets inside and outside of the trailer quit working.  I may have overloaded it by trying to run the AC at the same time as an electric cooking utensil while hooked up to a 3500 watt generator. The circuit tripped on the generator which I reset.  When I got home, I plugged the popup into my garage outlet and still nothing is working.  I checked and the breakers didn't trip and the fuses by the converter are still fine.  The GFI will not reset.  I unplugged everything including the fridge from the trailer and the GFI will still not reset.  I don't believe the converter is working because when plugged into shore power the battery is also not charging and I don't hear a hum from the converter.  I've narrowed it down to either a bad converter, bad GFI, or bad 30 amp to 15 amp adapter but don't know what to do from here short of trial and error through replacing each component.  Any thoughts?  I have basic mechanical skills but am far from being an electrician although I do have a multimeter. Thanks for any feedback. 

Is that generator a portable you plugged into? (if so that is good, If not then we have more typing to do).

The GFCI will not reset because there is no power in the house, without power it will not reset, so this is normal operation .. For it.

Now where did the power go.. You said you checked the breakers, Was that a VISUAL or did you use Tactal (touch)

The MAIN breaker,, usually the one on the left, it will be most likely a 30 amp. (or two 50's) Turn it off hard and turn it back on.

This is Suspect #1, beyond any doubt.. Suspect #2 on a trailer is any connneciton prior to and including that breaker.. Cord/plug,  Cord Breaker box.. If you have a detachable cord the inlet and outlet (RV end and Cord end) connections.

Hopefully that will do it.. If not...  Well post and we will get back to you tomorrow.

When you said you checked the breakers. Did you physically shut them off then back on?
Remove the front cover off your RV entrance panel and start checking for voltage.  See if you have voltage going into the main breaker then check all the other breakers for voltage coming out. 

Thank you i really appreciate your responses! It is a portable generator. I did reset the breakers several times.  After posting, i went to remove the GFI switch to match it up with one from Home Depot.  After removing it from the wall but before removing the wires, I did one last check and magically I got power back.  My battery is charging, ac is working as well as all outlets.  I really didn't do anything so I hope this doesn't become an intermittent problem that will come back.  I guess I'll see.

rice40 said:
Thank you i really appreciate your responses! It is a portable generator. I did reset the breakers several times.  After posting, i went to remove the GFI switch to match it up with one from Home Depot.  After removing it from the wall but before removing the wires, I did one last check and magically I got power back.  My battery is charging, ac is working as well as all outlets.  I really didn't do anything so I hope this doesn't become an intermittent problem that will come back.  I guess I'll see.

It may be a defective GFCI. I would replace it then at least you'll know that the receptacle will not be the problem in the future if it should happen again.

You removed the GFCI and magically got power back

I may have mentioned up-thread that the connection between the flexible wire on the GFCI and the solid Romex is a suspect point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom