Family Vacation Out West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brookeknight

Hello all,

I am new to RV forums, and any forums. My dad just purchased a 45ft Tuscany and he, my stepmom, myself (age 20) and my boyfriend are wanting to take a trip sometime after May. We want to go for about 4 weeks out West and see things such as grand canyon, redwoods, and other sites. we love the outdoors and want to be able to relax some.

I appreciate any advice on how to plan the trip, what to see, etc.

Thank you all

4 weeks is a decent amount of time...but many folks here will tell you...that's about enough to get to and see one or two places...

What's your starting point? Consider that driving a motorhome across country is different than taking the family car. It will be difficult at best to make the kind of mileage daily that will allow you to go from coast-to-coast in just a couple of days. Just driving time will be about a week each direction (and that's still driving pretty hard). That cuts your actual vacation down to 2 weeks. Yellowstone should have several days to properly enjoy...there's just SO MUCH to see. IMO, the Grand Canyon itself is a  couple of hour visit...but, of course, there's lots of other things to do there. We spent 5 days last summer in the Redwoods of NorCal...and still missed a lot of things while we were there.
Mind you, I'm not saying what you're planning is impossible...just that it will be difficult to cram in as much as you'd like. (of course, a lot depends on where you're starting from.)

If you are coming from the east coast then figure two weeks driving minimum. If you are coming from the west coast you will have all four weeks. From the midwest then figure three weeks. Forget about doing anything in Utah in the summer, it is obscenely hot. The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier and Crater Lake would be your best bets. Plan at least three days anyplace you stop. Especially if you are driving from the east. Otherwise your entire vacation will be seen from the windshield. There are dozens of incredibly beautiful spots to visit out west and you can't do it all in one trip. Just plan on a few places knowing you will be coming back again.

Thank you for the help so far, we are starting from Florida, so we will be pushing it, we definitely want to spend about 3 days wherever we stop so we are not rushing the whole time, any places that are a must see between here and the west, or in the west? Definitely want to see beautiful scenery, any advice on how to plan the trip route?

brookeknight said:
Thank you for the help so far, we are starting from Florida, so we will be pushing it, we definitely want to spend about 3 days wherever we stop so we are not rushing the whole time, any places that are a must see between here and the west, or in the west? Definitely want to see beautiful scenery, any advice on how to plan the trip route?
I live in Florida after 10 years of full timing. I have driven an RV across country several times. There really isn't a lot you will want to spend time with on the way there and the way back. Yes there are some nice spots but nothing that will compare to what you will see when you get out west. What I would recommend would depend on the time of year. If you go in the winter you will be restricted to the south since there is a large chance of snow in the north. So here is what I would recommend for a summer trip.

South Rim of the Grand Canyon - One of the seven wonders of the world, nuff said.

Yosemite - Should have been one of the seven wonders of the world. Most beautiful spot in the country, and I have been to all the National Parks in the lower 48.

Grand Tetons - According to the Travel Channel it is the best National Park in north America to see wildlife. And it is beautiful beyond compare.

Yellowstone - The first National Park in the world and one of the very best.

Glacier - Breathtaking.

Considering travel time you probably should pick three of the above and not attempt all five. I suggest using Google maps to plan your route and stick with Interstates. But those five are basically the most beautiful in the country (IMHO).

I agree with SeilerBird.  There are many beautiful sights to see in this country.  If you're focused on the west, the ones Tom recommended are the most spectacular choices.  Oh, but there are the redwoods, too!  And the Oregon coast!  You can't really take in the west in four weeks, but give it a try.  If you only achieve two or three venues, turn around, go back home, and try it again next time.

We had a goal of visiting all the Presidential Museums. In the process we hit all the states, of course that took many years.

My point is pick out something there are a lot of and go see them. You'll see a many things along the way.

We met one couple who went to a ball game in every major league stadium across the country. Took them two months without a toad as their toad was totaled two days before they departed on their trip.

Google every state you go to  with "Things to see in ?????"  Every state has a big list as they want you to visit them.

If you will be on road over the 4th of July you'll need reservations.  As a general rule we don't make reservations as it puts you on a time schedule and if you have a problem and can't get to the campground they will charge you anyways.

Notify your credit card company BEFORE you leave and tell them you are traveling otherwise they will stop payment on your card to prevent fraud. 

When your fuel level gets below half...go get some fuel.

Travel in the early morning out west to avoid high winds. 

Always get into camp at least an hour before dark. 

Wear blue jeans and T shirts, no fancy clothes are required.  Most RV parks have laundromats. 

My advice is based on things we learned the hard way.  Believe me.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom