Survey of Winnebago refrigerator replacements - gas to household

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MSW inverters are fine for inductive or resistive loads, the compressor motor would be considered an inductive load.  MSW power can wreak havoc on some electronics though.  Knowing this in advance when we ordered our Horizon, the first modification was installing a PSW Xantrex.

I replaced my Norcold 1210 2 years ago in my 2009 Journey 39Z. It is an exact fit from a width perspective but I lost a 6" cupboard that was above the Norcold. Changed my 4 Grp 31 batteries to AGMs from Sams Club. I put in the Samsung RF-197 which is the predecessor to the current RF-18.  The RF-197 / 18 are both counter depth fridges which was mandatory as there is a diagonal wall in front of the fridge opening that limits depth. I found there were really no other french door fridges that would fit when I installed it. The fridge compartment had extensive wiring running through it at the rear. I installed a new floor of 3/4" plywood to protect the wiring and firmly support the fridge.

Getting the fridge in was no problem. I removed the fridge doors and the pasenger seat. I disconnected the door stop so it would open 180 degrees and provide an additional 2"+ in the opening.  Added hardwood trim above and below the fridge. Used 1.5" angle aluminum screwed to hardwood trim and held on the fridge top with heavy duty double sided tape. Fridge can't move so I am comfortable that it is secure. Added steel straps to the rear of the fridge attached to the floor. Hasn't moved in 18,000 miles so is well secured.

Used the original Dimensions 2000 watt MSW inverter with no problems. Also added 400 watts of solar panels to the roof as we boondock a lot  and is more cost effective than adding batteries plus was easy to install. Fridge will run for 24 hrs plus before batteries need recharging by which time solar has kicked in on sunny days. Seldom need to run the generator for the fridge. Maximum current draw is 3.7 amps and the fridge cools down completely in about 4-6 hours. Wife loves it and has a lot more room than the Norcold at 17.6 cu.ft. 
Would never buy a coach without a Res Fridge and highly recommend it. Did all the work myself excluding getting the Norcold out and Sammy in - strong son in law and a friend helped there.

Howdy all. I have an 06 Tour 40KD. It has the Dimensions 2000 watt Quasi Sine Wave Inverter/Charger. I plan on having a side by side Whirlpool 22 cu ft refrigerator model #WRS322FDAM installed next week to replace my Norcold 1201. I queried Whirlpool on whether or not the Quasi Sine Inverter will damage the electronics in the fridge. By chance do any of you all have the same inverter in use with a Whirlpool fridge?

Welcome Galen. You would be doing yourself and your electronics a huge favor by upgrading the Dimensions (AKA "Dimented" inverter) to a pure sine wave version.  The Dimensions I believe was a product built to Winnebago's specifications, read that as Winnebago gave them a target price and they engineered it to the price.  It is functional but I would compare it to a Xantrex/Magnum like a Yugo to a Lexus.  I replaced my Dimensions when my coach was about two weeks old and sold it on eBay.

Thanks for the response. Did your new Inverter Charger connect to your existing inside control panel or did that have to be replaced also?

It was basically a drop-in replacement except for having to run new cable for the new control panel.  Here's a simple write-up when I swapped mine out.  My Xantrex RS2000 inverter/charger is no longer in production; Xantrex was bought out by Magnum and I think Magnum was bought by somebody else so I'm not sure which product would be a no-fuss replacement.

Thanks! The control panel wiring may be just a bridge too far for me. I have found some Inverter chargers. The jury is still out though. I was thinking about a Tripp-Lite 3000 watt  inverter Charger. Just found out they are a modified sine also. So scratch that idea. :)

So I'll ask the $64K question. If I just wait till the Dimensions Inverter dies, what delicate electronics are the ones that the modified sine like the Dimensions Inverter Charger will be harmed? I have changed out two of the three TVs with LCD/LED TVs. I have the Dish receiver, a Panasonic surround sound DVD system, the original Sharp Microwave, and the original CD Changer. An of course the IPADs an IPHONEs get charged with the inverter sometimes. The TVs would run $300 to $500 to replace as well as the surround sound. Whirlpool has no responded to my query about use of the fridge with the inverter. I'll call and ask them. Hopefully they won't blow me off.

Update: Received response from Whirlpool that said follow the manual. So I called them and asked the question on whether the modified sine power source would harm the fridge. The call center rep said it should be ok for short periods of time but would not recommend it for full time use. I doubt he know the difference between modified and pure sine. :)
So I am about where I was with the last post a short while ago on what will the modified sine power source actually harm.

When I put a Frigidaire in my coach a couple of years ago, I asked them if it could be run on an MSW inverter. The only answer I was able to get out of them was always "Just plug it into a normal outlet."  ... they seemed to have no idea what I was asking.  As far as I know, we have not run it on the inverter. When we need ac we always have the generator running. We very rarely use the inverter at all.

I need to replace my 5 year old Norcold 1211IMT with a compatible residential refrigerator.. What brand // model has the same measurements??
(H: 63-1/4" ,W: 32-11/16, D: 24").. Pretty disgusted @@ this point, already replaced 2 control boards and now ammonia leakage!!!!
OBTW:: This refrig is in my 2010 Winn Adventure 35Z..

[email protected]

Welcome!

I'm assuming you read through the two pages of this thread and didn't find a comparable example?  If not, you are going to need to do your homework on a replacement. Search for counter size fridges or start at Samsung or even Lowes and look at different models and compare sizes. It's likely you will need to do some cabinetry modifications unless you are real lucky.

Back in March of this year I posted some photos of the Norcold that is coming out and photos showing what is behind the drawer below the refrigerator. Yesterday I took measurements to figure out how much of the drawer I will lose. Well, just about all of it. I have attached another photos showing the current Norcold and the measurements of the vertical opening I will need. Plan on using the Samsung RF18 (been on sale at Home Depot for last couple weeks for $998, just not ready for it), and need a minimum of 71 inches vertically. I thing that the opening left where the drawer is will become an access door, or maybe a very narrow drawer (cookie sheets). Plan to do this the end of February, first of March 2017. Will post photos along the way.

BTW, those that have done this, did you just cap your propane line behind the refer, or plug the mainline where the tap came off.

Attachments

• Refrig_Measure_2.jpg
    Refrig_Measure_2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 24
The refrigerator (Samsung RF18) has been purchased and will be delivered to the Arizona location where my friend and I will be doing the work. New inverter and AGS ordered, along with the proper sized cabling. Building the tool list and the "To-Do" list now. Scheduled for the last week in February. Will post photos and the steps and tool list when all is completed. Long time planning - can't wait to get the job done.

Coach: 2006 Winnebago Journey 34H
Old Refrig: Norcold N842IM (two door model)
New Residential Refrig: Whirlpool WRT111SFDM

Back in June 2014 ( Here) I started a thread about cooling concerns with my Journey's Norcold (NoCold - as  John says)  Refrig. The original subject was cooling issues I thought I was having with my Norcold N842IM refrig. The thread's direction changed to a discussion about Inverters and Modified Sine wave vs Pure Sine wave. The thread was very informative - I learned a lot about the operation of my Norcold (49 hour defrost cycle) through my own testing and data collection and about inverters from other members' posts.

Since then I have made some changes so felt it is justified to post an update.

Last year on a trip I lost my Dimension 2000w Inverter and replaced it with a new 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter. This opened the door for me to change from my Norcold to a Residential Style Refrig. After my last trip this summer (GNR-2016) and having issues with the Norcold do to its defrost cycle I decided it is time to move to a Residential Refrig.

My desire was to find a residential refrig that would fit into the existing opening with minimal modifications so that I did not loose the two slide out Pantries or the drawer below the Refrig (directives from my DW). After some research I settled on a Whirlpool WRT111SFDM 10.7 cu ft refrig as it appeared that all I needed was about 1 inch more width and about 3/4 of an  inch more height.
In prep for getting the old and new refrig out of the coach I removed the passenger seat. Both the Norcold and the new Refrig fit thru the Coach Door with the seat removed. 

Getting the Norcold out was relatively easy -

-Disconnect LP (shut off a Tank first)
-Shut off Refrig Circuit Breaker and Unplug 120vac
-Disconnect 12 volt feed (+ (yellow) and ground (white))
-Disconnect Ice Make Water feed
-Remove 4 Bolts on rear sides of Norcold
-Disconnect Upper Strap (access thru Roof Vent)
-*** REMOVE AC Receptacle from left side as it is screwed thru the left rear mounting plates
-Remove Refrig Doors
-Remove upper and lower black plastic trim pieces and mounting screws

New Whirlpool Installation:

-I removed a 1/2" from each side and 3/4" across the top edge
-I removed the side and upper rubber seals that contacted the top and sides of the Norcold
-I removed both Front Feet and Rear feet (rollers) from the new Refrig
-I screwed two 1.25 " Steel straps to the floor of the Refrig area
-After the Whirlpool was in place and level (coach was leveled) I bent the bottom rear straps over the refrig frame/base
and screwed them to the frame
-I attached the Upper (original) strap to the top of Whirlpool
-Attached existing water supply to Ice Maker Solenoid
-Remounted 120vac receptacle and plugged in refrig (I had the Refrig Circuit Breaker - Off)
-Added trim to cover gap around refrig
- I did added a 12 volt DC Muffin Fan in the Roof Vent (switched) to assist with exhausting heat on hot days from the back of the refrig (optional) I left both original Vents intact for air flow.

Absolutely love this latest Coach Modification. Now to go and purchase Ice Cream  :) :) :)

Here is a link to a number of photos I took during the Swap.

Attachments

• Old.JPG
    Old.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 45
  • New.JPG
    New.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom