Trip Opinion Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypowellnc

When we visit our granddaughter in PA it is a 500 +/- mile trip.  We have been doing it in 2 days consisting of 2 250 +/- mile legs of about 4 hours each not including rest, lunch or gas stops.  I can make the same trip in one day in 8 +/- hours not including rest, lunch or gas stops.  Which would you do?

Well, If you are retired and time is no importance, take two days and enjoy the trip.  If you can't wait to see the grandchild, knock yourself out and do it in one day.

well it depends....
If I liked my granddaughter I'd probably do the one day trip  8)

Seriously though
I think the unknowns here really drive it....
is your time there limited?
Do you like them? or do you like the area... meaning do you want to spend time there?
Are you in a hurry to get home when you leave? or are you retired or in some other way it makes absolutely no difference?
Are there fun, nice, or interesting places along the way?

Personally, extending the trip just for the sake of dragging it out makes no sense
but extending the trip because there's stuff you want to do, does make sense
as does extending a trip to reduce the amount of fatigued hours behind the wheel....

If you are coming up I81, one day is a piece of cake.  If using I95, you have to time you driving for going around those nasty beltways.

500 miles is about my upper limit for a days trip, but we strongly prefer 250. It's mostly a matter of how valuable your time is, and since we have plenty, we opt for shorter and more pleasant travel days.

Our trip plans were usually based on hours rather than mileage.  Tom could drive all day (back in the day, that is!).  I was good for an absolute max of 5 hours.  As a passenger, I could feel fatigue five hours and five minutes into driving time and it was time to stop.  Everyone's tolerances for distance or time are different.  Eventually we all find our "sweet spot".

Back
Top Bottom