Renogy solar panel system for RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiona Rose

Hi folks, I'm looking into setting up my 20' TT with solar and am just beginning my research.  I've stumbled upon a company called Renogy that are getting excellent reviews on Amazon.  They have made life easy for a non-mechanical female by offering RV Kits.

http://www.renogy-store.com/RV-Solar-Kit-s/1960.htm

http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY%C2%AE-Solar-Kit-400W-Controller/dp/B00H5BXE28/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_50?ie=UTF8&dpID=511h96LdmZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1SMCFDD1X4YF1XMES8DS

My first and very fundamental questions are: 
*Has anyone purchased Renogy products and, if so, are you glad you did? 
*How many 100W panels would be recommended for off-grid life in a 20' TT (I would also rely on two 30lb propane tanks)
*Does the battery on the RV hold enough to use on its own for such a set up, or would I need multiple batteries? 

I wouldn't be out in the middle of nowhere, for the most part, so propane support wouldn't be a problem.  I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth investing/going without electricity hookups.  Seems like it is!

Thanks in advance for any input, much appreciated!
Fiona

Renogy makes decent panels, especially for the cost.  The kits might be ok, but you will be much better off if you buy a system a la carte as you can pick and choose the better components and put together a more efficient system.

we have a 21' TT Cougar and it has a Go Power Solar Package on it.... We love the solar, have only been out once in our new to us... it was cool in the am's so ran furnace, LED lights etc... and never needed the generator.  With that said, not sure on the brand you are looking at, but we love our solar! Of course, you can't run some electric items like TV microwave,... but most of us that are boondocking are not wanting that type of camping. Our RV has a "charging center" that allows us to charge our phones, dog collars, anything usb, cameras... the only time I miss electric is when it is HOT and I would like some ac, but considering most of our camping is done at 6500'+ that is not very often.

You will love solar, check out the Go Power website!

Gizmo, thank you I'm sure you're right about the a'la carte thing.  I usually don't go for package deals, there's always something in them I don't need.  However, I'm an artist and seriously left-brain challenged.  Just the bit of research I've done so far has me ready to give up.  Renogy has a reputation of very user-friendly instructions, hopefully they provide that with all their components.  I also read they have excellent customer service/support.

tanglemoose, I saw your posts while researching on this forum.  Glad you're enjoying your Go Power!  I won't be boondocking in the wilderness for the most part, but it sure would be nice to be free of the full hook up expense.  Yes, mainly laptop, fridge, hot water, slow cooker now and then.

I started with the Renogy two panel package and added a third later to bring my set up to 300 watts, I have been using the system for a year now and like it very much, it has reduced my generator useage by half.>>>Dan

Fiona Rose, Renogy has a good name. Their panels are no better or worse than several other brands. And I agree with Gizmo, solar "kits" are handy, but unless you're looking for a basic setup, you often end up with components you can't use if you decide to expand your system.

To answer your other questions, it would help to know a little more about your system. How many house-batteries do you have? Do you know your battery-bank's amp hour capacity? To get the most out of solar, it's good to have a balance between amp hour capacity and solar panel output. It's also very helpful to know your typical consumption, because it helps you determine how much battery capacity you should have to meet your needs, and how much solar power you'll require (sans generator) to keep them charged.

We love our solar but most of our camping is boondocking, so it's fairly easy to justify the expense of solar. However, occasional boondockers with smaller RVs often find that their off-grid power needs can be met by simply adding more battery capacity.

Kev

Thank you Dan and Kevin, I have a lot to learn and don't want to waste the forum's time holding my hand.  It's just that I've been living in this TT for about 6 months on friends' land, and have always been plugged into their home's electric. 

I'm hitting the road in June, for the first time, heading to Eugene Oregon and will look for land to live on there.  I'd like to have the freedom of living on land of any kind, without the restriction of finding hook ups.  I'll probably stay in campgrounds for the summer, I don't know what it was like where you guys were last summer but I was in Eugene and it regularly stayed over 100 degrees for several hours in the afternoon and evening.  I'd like A/C for my first few months, till I get my sea legs.

As far as usage, I have no idea.  I read on this forum about recommendations for AM Solar, a company who coincidentally are right in Springfield Oregon, the city connected to Eugene.  On their site they suggest getting a battery monitor, so that seems like my first step.  I will also look at their panels, and installation offerings.  http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_26

Thank you Kevin for pointing out I might be able to just use a battery bank, will look into this in more depth.  Currently there's just the battery on the tongue, I haven't done anything with that except hook up the pump when I need to drain tanks.

~Fiona

Fiona Rose said:
Thank you Dan and Kevin, I have a lot to learn and don't want to waste the forum's time holding my hand.  It's just that I've been living in this TT for about 6 months on friends' land, and have always been plugged into their home's electric. 

I'm hitting the road in June, for the first time, heading to Eugene Oregon and will look for land to live on there.  I'd like to have the freedom of living on land of any kind, without the restriction of finding hook ups.  I'll probably stay in campgrounds for the summer, I don't know what it was like where you guys were last summer but I was in Eugene and it regularly stayed over 100 degrees for several hours in the afternoon and evening.  I'd like A/C for my first few months, till I get my sea legs.

As far as usage, I have no idea.  I read on this forum about recommendations for AM Solar, a company who coincidentally are right in Springfield Oregon, the city connected to Eugene.  On their site they suggest getting a battery monitor, so that seems like my first step.  I will also look at their panels, and installation offerings.  http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_26

Thank you Kevin for pointing out I might be able to just use a battery bank, will look into this in more depth.  Currently there's just the battery on the tongue, I haven't done anything with that except hook up the pump when I need to drain tanks.

~Fiona

When I did my solar install I installed a battery monitor first to understand our usage, doing so was invaluable.  Whether you decide to install solar or not, a good battery meter is a worthwhile investment.  I have 2-AM Solar panels and have been very happy with not only the panels and some of their other associated products, but the customer service as well.  While I did my own install, I have heard many good things about AM Solar install services.  Give them a call, tell them what you are considering and ask questions, I am sure you will find them helpful.  As I recall I believe they also sell solar kits.

Fiona Rose-Being you are going to explore the possibility of something other than a packaged system, I suggest you Google "Jack Mayer" and "Handy Bob". Between the two of them, you can gain an immense knowledge of solar systems. (among other things) Even if you end up buying a packaged system you will have an understanding of how your package works and it's limitations.

I worked up in Oregon several years back during the summer. I fell in love with the area. The thing that killed the deal was the locals telling me the Sun doesn't shine for 6 months during the winter...How is that going to work with your solar plans??

Gizmo, thanks I'm so glad to hear your experience with AM Solar.  It will be invaluable to have them right next door to me.

kdbgoat, thank you for the suggestions.  I have so much to learn, today I've been immersed in 6V deep cycle battery research.  Handy Bob is on wordpress, as am I, so I've just subscribed to his blog  :)

john owens, the short answer is I have no clue!  I'm thinking a battery bank/solar/propane combo will be better than $500 a month in campground fees.

Well, for those who are interested in this sort of thing, here's where my research has taken me so far on a 300W system a'la carte:

(2) Interstate 6V 232ah deep cycle batteries = $300
(2) Renogy 150W monocrystalline panels = $400
(1) Sun Yoba MPPT 40A controller with lcd display = $170
(1) Windy Nation 1500W  inverter = $150
(+) various cables, wires, tilt mounts = $200

So for about $1200 I'm basically set up...?  Then there's the $800 for a little Honda generator.  Yikes, my tow vehicle budget is rapidly dwindling.  But eyes on the prize, that's my feeling.

Looks like your on the right track with a neat solar parts collection. The genset is a great idea also for backup. We had our nearly new Honda 2000 generater swiped while camping at Doheny State Beach a couple years ago. We were Costco members at the time and found a gas generater that had the same stuff as the Honda..but for half the price. Still have this one and starts up on the second pull every time.. Hondas are nice but pricey.....

Hi John, thanks it's been a lot of fun putting together a list of possibilities.  With more research I'll know where I can be frugal and where it would be best to spend top dollar.  The Honda generator might not be a reality; I also like the idea of propane dual/fuel but the one I'm looking at weighs 55lbs and is probably quite noisy.

Fiona Rose said:
Well, for those who are interested in this sort of thing, here's where my research has taken me so far on a 300W system a'la carte:

(2) Interstate 6V 232ah deep cycle batteries = $300
(2) Renogy 150W monocrystalline panels = $400
(1) Sun Yoba MPPT 40A controller with lcd display = $170
(1) Windy Nation 1500W  inverter = $150
(+) various cables, wires, tilt mounts = $200

So for about $1200 I'm basically set up...?  Then there's the $800 for a little Honda generator.  Yikes, my tow vehicle budget is rapidly dwindling.  But eyes on the prize, that's my feeling.

Here is my 02cents I did not see a battery monitor on your list which is really a must for solar, but very helpful without solar as well. Considering you are full timing you are on the right track with a MPPT controller but you might consider a higher amperage unit in case you need to add more panels later on and you also might consider a one of the Morningstar or Blue Sky units, more expensive but very good and arguably among the best.  You might also consider one of the Magnum or Morningstar inverters, also much better units.

Okay, I've got a little better idea of what your camping goals are - boondocking vs. hookups near Eugene, OR. Here's something to consider as you prioritize your expenses in setting up your RV; During the winter months in Oregon, there are slightly less than two hours of useful charging time for solar panels, and that's only on sunny days. How often does that happen during the winter in Eugene?

Two 150 watt panels will generate a total of about 14 amps per hour if they are installed properly and not shaded - and once again, that's only if the sun is shining. If it's cloudy like it often is during the winter in Oregon, all bets are off. So under the best of conditions, they might put 28 amps back into a battery-bank during a complete charging cycle. In reality, it's probably going to be closer to 20 amps on a good sunny day due to environmental and installation factors (real life.)

If the sun is shining, are 20 amps enough to meet your daily/nightly power needs? That's why it's nice to know your typical consumption. Of course, any solar power is better than no solar power, but I wouldn't plan to rely on solar power as my primary charging source in that part of the country - especially in the winter. By the way, I think your plan to get an MPPT controller is a good one. It will make your system more expandable.

Kev

Gizmo, thanks I didn't realize the battery monitors were pricey enough to be included in my budget, but they are.  This one will be added to the list:  http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_73_17/tri-metric_2030-rv.html .  Yes the controller and inverter are bargain options, I have since read that the controller is very important not to skimp on so will look into the brands you mentioned.  Thank you!

Kevin, I found a link to some basic daily use numbers and yeah it doesn't look good.  I'm not a big energy consumer and would likely be working / not in the RV for several hours most days, however things like running a slow cooker for 8-10 hours would take its toll.

I am looking into Grape Solar's data with research from their homebase, which is Eugene.  But I know it might be a greater expense than it's worth.  A battery bank with dual fuel generator, coupled with my propane tanks running some appliances, might be what I'm looking at.  But I've caught the "solar bug" and can't really let it go! :)

It seems my first step is buying the 6V batteries/inverter/controller/etc, the generator and the battery monitor, and take it from there.  Any thoughts are most welcome.

This seems like a good deal for a Magnum 1000w Pure Sine Inverter, made in Everett WA, just down the road from where I'm staying.

http://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4282&cPath=0_477&gclid=CjwKEAiA9om3BRDpzvihsdGnhTwSJAAkSewLuplsz-pSIkhpT4RxrZee65puqIpp614gh-Idm_HZKBoCeITw_wcB

Thank you Gizmo for pointing them out.

Also wondering if anyone has experience with 12v Lifeline batteries.  It seems like the Trojan batteries require a bit of ventilation?  I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep them on the tongue or they'll need to go into one of the compartments.  If the latter, that's no ventilation.

I suppose at this point, this thread is veering off-topic.  I might create a new thread, if my research takes me into too many controller, inverter and battery options.

Back
Top Bottom