Windows 10 installed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wb6kwt

without my permission :mad: I left my computer on and went to the store, when I came back I noticed there was something downloading. It was Windows 10, which finished up without issues and now I need to find all my files etc. Has anyone else had this happen to them. I have a second computer that has software that won't run under Windows 10 so I'm worried about that now.

Bob

no ,but I did download 10 a while back hopin it would be better than 8 and 8.1 but maybe a little bit better.Im getin tired of  windows and havin to change every couple of years,if I could afford it I would go to apple

For the first 30 days after a computer is upgraded to Windows 10 it is a simple, one-button task to have it revert to Windows 8.1 or 7 (whichever it came from).  The button for the reversion is located in the Settings/Update and Recovery area.  I had to do it for one computer that didn't have all the necessary drivers and the reversion takes around an hour.

I read 2-3 weeks ago that MS was going to start pushing 10 to computers whether you ask for it or not.  Life cycle support for 7 ended last year.  Windows 8 life cycle ends 1/10/2023.  Yes you can go back as stated earlier.

I get this call often in my repair shop. You can revert back as docj and retusn points out. I have seen in some instances the reverting back process encounters errors and leaves the system in limbo. Not saying that will happen to you... Just reporting experiences from customers. Your files and data are not lost so don't panic.

retusn said:
I read 2-3 weeks ago that MS was going to start pushing 10 to computers whether you ask for it or not.  Life cycle support for 7 ended last year.  Windows 8 life cycle ends 1/10/2023.  Yes you can go back as stated earlier.

You can still run a computer on XP if you wish, that's your choice to upgrade or not to any WINDOWS; the only difference, is that you won't get "ONLINE HELP" using XP or WINDOWS 7, and that's all.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to find all my wife's Word files after I discovered I was logged in, on her computer, instead of my wife. Will see how she likes it and how many times I have to figure out/solve problems for her.

Bob

wb6kwt said:
Will see how she likes it and how many times I have to figure out/solve problems for her.
Figuring out problems for SWMBO will keep you young and maintain her interest in having you around. ;D

I installed Win10 and don't find it much different than Win7. A few commercial programs do not work, such as PhotoShop Elements 7. I bought the 14 version and all is fine. I like staying up with technology, but, yes, it is a pain when they start changing things for little or no reason.

I've found W10 to be better than 7 at running all sorts of older programs.  I've updated all but one of our on-net computers.  I wish Apple was half as good at supporting older hardware.

I have an older version of PhotoShop (7.2) and it works perfectly. I'm pretty sure it's older than the earliest release of Elements.  The difference might be that I'm running 64bit W10.

retusn said:

Life cycle support for Win7 (Extended Support Period) does not end until 2020.  Lots of time left to enjoy Windows 7 if you still want to. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=14019

Windows 10 is not so bad.  Give it a workout and then if, within 30 days, revert back to your previous OS.

I never used Win-7 but Win 10 both broke and fixed a few things with Win-8.. I've done 3 Win-10 installs 2 upgrades and an OEM.

I need to tell you about the OEM.. this was a computer I gave as a Christmas Gift to a friend who seriously needed it, Once we got it all set up and working I installed the Free Virtual Fireplace app (Go to windows app store and search for fireplace)

While I had been setting it up she was talking about how much she wanted a fireplace in her "apartment" (there is one in the downstairs, but she (home owner) lives upstairs)  So when she found the Fire place app running she was like a Kid at Christmas.

Turns out her cats like to curl up in front of the "Fire" at night too,, She really needs to keep the cats off her bed (Medical reasons) and this works very well.

One of the most useful "Cute" things I'v e ever seen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom