Fly fishing in Wyoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I'm looking for suggestions on fly fishing locations in Wyoming for the end of May. (Has anyone fished the Wind River?)

The Snake River in Western Wyoming is very good;  especially the section just going into Idaho Falls from Southfork lodge near the Idaho/Wyoming border. It's better if you float the Snake rather than wade it. 

If you are willing to expand your area, the Madison River in Eastern Montana is EXCELLENT east outside of Yellowstone NP up toward Ennis on Highway 20, although a tough river to fish.  It is mostly a wading river.

Also the Big Horn River near Harding, MT is fabulous.  Lots of Big Browns.  You can wade or float it.

We have not fished the Wind River, but I'm reading a great fictional book series about the area.  ;D

Marsha~

Marsha - the book series you mentioned sounds like something I would like.  Checked Amazon:  is it the Washburn/Reasoner series or the Margaret Coel series? 

Margi

Thanks Marsha, Tom and Margi for the information.  I see that Tom also started a thread last summer on fishing in Wyoming.  I will probably have more questions after I have researched the locations you mentioned.

Margi, it's the Margaret Coel series called the Wind River Mysteries.  It's exceptionally good.  Have you read C. J. Box or the Longmire Series?  Also if you have been to Alaska, the Kate Shugat mysteries by Dana Stabenow is terrific.

Marsha~

Thanks so much.  We're headed to the book store today!  I LOVE C. J. Box.  He has a new Joe Pickett novel being released in August.  We started the Longmire series but didn't finish.  I've also made note of the Alaskan author.

Marsha, as a female fly angler do you have any recommendations for waders and wading boots for women.  I only fly fish a few times a year so I can't justify paying a lot.  Thank you.

Maxine (aka Max)

Look online Max ,Cabelas  bargain cave and overstock.com sometimes have good deals. Dicks? Make sure returns are not a problem buying foot wear online can be tricky. aka not fit. Bought some great stuff at both.

Hi Max,

I've been using my gear for so long....I have full waders (Sage) and boots along with gators/gravel guards.  In the streams of WY I usually just wear a pair of "easy dry" long pants from REI or Cabell's.  The ones where you can zip off the bottom of the pant and they become shorts.  I also wear my boots with the gators.  I'm really comfortable with this arrangement.  The streams are very rarely above my waist; mostly they are mid-calf to thigh high and not all that cold and I'm in and out of the streams.

If we do a float trip, then I wear the entire get-up.  Often if we do a float trip, I get out into the water and sometimes there are deep pockets; plus the rivers are much colder.

I'm due for new waders and boots, so maybe I'll do some research and let you know what I would buy.  The fly fishing gear is so much lighter weight and easier to handle now days than the older materials.

Marsha~

Adding to Marsha's comments, Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops both have great selections at reasonable prices, either in-store or online. IMHO REI is an exercise in sticker shock, or maybe a heart attack waiting to happen.

AAARRGG <slapping my forehead>, my waders are not sage, but Simms.  One of my rods is a Sage. 

So if I were to buy new waders and wading boots, these are what I would look at:

Waders

or these

wading boots

These are the dri-pants

Sorry about the links.  You will need to copy and paste them into your browser.  I need to find out why they are not listing properly in my reply.

Have fun.  We are leaving the end of the month for Wyoming and I plan to fly fish a whole lot more this year than last year.

Masha~

Edit: Shortened links.

Good suggestions Marsha. BTW I went ahead and shortened the links.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom